Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Montreal smoked meat

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,458
Made this on the weekend, finally got around to posting it.

My favourite way to cook brisket, inspired by this post way back when...  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1128140/ultimate-montreal-smoked-meat-recipe/p1

Dug out this 18+ pounder from the freezer. I cut down the spices by about 25% and omitted the salt called for (the salt already in ReadyCure is sufficient for our taste).

Mummified for 10-day cure, flipping couple of times daily...

On day 11, rinsed and soaked for four hours with hourly water change, then recoated top with cracked pepper and coriander, rested overnight. Smoked low and slow in XL till IT 175 and rested again.

Steamed gently in makeshift steamer for three hours, IT was about 195F.

Big pool of juice and fat after steaming, but meat was still moist...

Got real lucky this time, never had a brisket with such fat distribution and marbling.  If I may say so, It was even more tender than prime rib, everyone agreed it was my best yet, granted I only do briskets about 3 or 4 times a year. I told them credit goes to the cow, not cook  :)

Cheesecake with strawberry compote to wrap up.

Thanks for reading and excuse the rambling, I need this to compensate for memory loss down the road when I try again!
canuckland

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    😳😳😳

edited May 2021
    Looks like I was right when I said that there must be something epic in that steamer! You really nailed it. I only did smoked meat once, but was unhappy with the results. 

Just curious... Why are your spices portioned out like that? Were you weighing them? I know that you mention a subsequent application of cracked pepper and coriander, so it would make sense to have set those aside. 
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    holy moly that is impressive looking! well done!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That looks marvelous!
    Stillwater, MN
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Thats what Im talkin about!
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Is it pink because your 10-day wrap cured the meat, liked corned beef?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    That is the way to deliver the goods.  The chef had the bigger role than the cow in creating the MSM.  Congratulations.  Impressive outcome.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • That looks awesome, Gary. I definitely credit the cook, great job!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Canugghead
    edited May 2021
    Thanks folks for your kind comments.

@GrateEggspectations
    Generally I prefer to weigh ingredients, sometimes I even convert from TB/tsp/cup etc to g; easier to measure especially when you need to adjust the quantity.

In this case due to different granularity/weight/texture of ingredients I find it hard to mix and apply evenly. I also want to avoid flipping the hunk of beef with loose rub on top, so I use this technique to apply to the lower side first.

(couple of old pictures)
    Lay out the clear wrap and create a footprint of the brisket with half the spices, sprinkled evenly one spice at a time, I then drop the meat on the 'map', lower side done.

coat the upper side similarly, then wrap tight with multiple layers like a mummy.

I find MSM less challenging than regular brisket because service time and end result are more predictable; imo it's harder to mess up, seriously. You should go for it again.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    RyanStl said:
    Is it pink because your 10-day wrap cured the meat, liked corned beef?
    Correct.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wow! That sammich is outstanding. As expected, a beautifully executed (almost) 2 week cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Drooling over here. That looks incredible.