Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's done a brisket style tritip

I'm all about the reverse sear when it comes to tritip, but for science I want to do one brisket style like I've seen on the social medias. How long did it take and any other pointers?
Lakeville, MN

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    bought one in albuquerque and it was really tender, devoured it and bought a second one. was done in a stick burner, first one ive ever seen, only one ive seen with a fat cap. we dont see fat caps on tritips in this area so im not sure the ones here would work well for this

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm sure it's delicious. 

Part of the history of low and slow BBQ was taking super tough and cheap chunks of meat and using the slow cooking method to make them tender by breaking down tough connective tissue into softer tissue and gelatin. 

Tritip is neither super tough or super cheap (the way a brisket is). 

That said, I've never tried it that way and there's nothing wrong with pursuing delicious bbq.
    ^^^agreed , I started doing it when cooking in quantity and trying to hold that pink medium was almost impossible when hiding tritip for hours, so we just started taking it further...not quite low and owe like brisket , but no quality loss taking it further ...i also quick chill, slice cold and reheat ...its held when sliced in chafing dishes 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • @ilkaplan - do you take them all the way to ~200 like brisket? 
    Lakeville, MN
  • Welp I made one yesterday and it was fricken delicious.  The wife commented that it was better than my briskets I've done, which I agreed and wasn't surprised by since it's a "better" cut of meat.  Leftovers going on pizza tonight

Lakeville, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @teamunited33- looks great.  Way to bring it home.
    At what temp did you declare victory and call it finished?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Welp I made one yesterday and it was fricken delicious.  The wife commented that it was better than my briskets I've done, which I agreed and wasn't surprised by since it's a "better" cut of meat.  Leftovers going on pizza tonight

You'll never go back ...served 200 and all the rave 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    lkapigian said:
    Welp I made one yesterday and it was fricken delicious.  The wife commented that it was better than my briskets I've done, which I agreed and wasn't surprised by since it's a "better" cut of meat.  Leftovers going on pizza tonight

Awesome results right there!   Tell me about when you call these done. Is it by tender probe?  Curiosity is spiked and need some guidance plz. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

Awesome results right there!   Tell me about when you call these done. Is it by tender probe?  Curiosity is spiked and need some guidance plz. 
    @Mattman3969 its a 2 part cook ( you can do this on brisket and pork as well ) I pre cook to 160 ish, rest and plunge in ice bath ....slice day of and carry over the final 200...perfect results every time 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • MGStheWolf
    MGStheWolf Posts: 9
    You are cooking tritip to 200 degrees internal?  I am born and raised in santa maria, I would be tarred and feathered if I ever served it over 135  TriTip is meant to be served rare.  They call it the poor mans prime rib.  What am I missing here?  
  • lkapigian
    edited May 2021
    You are cooking tritip to 200 degrees internal?  I am born and raised in santa maria, I would be tarred and feathered if I ever served it over 135  TriTip is meant to be served rare.  They call it the poor mans prime rib.  What am I missing here?  
    Im down the street from you, its just another way . .personally I prefer it this way but its just that, preferences ...cant beat a true Santa Maria style either

Its almost impossible to hold tritip rare for the masses and why I started doing it this way ...it works
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I feel like I am missing some important context here. 

I have cooked many tri-tips (> 20)

I have cooked some briskets. (~5)

If I tried to cook a brisket like a tri-tip, I imagine I would quickly dry it out.

What am I missing?
    Mountain View, CA
  • lkapigian
    dmourati said:

If I tried to cook a brisket like a tri-tip, I imagine I would quickly dry it out.

What am I missing?
    It does not dry out ...all I get is " that's the most tender juiciest tritip I ever had " ....if I didn't hear that i would not do it...my cook is " on average" take it to 160 ish rest, quick chill , slice day of event 8mm , into warming oven where is peaks @200 in its Jus....fall apart tender 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    lkapigian said:
    dmourati said:

What am I missing?
    It does not dry out ...all I get is " that's the most tender juiciest tritip I ever had " ....if I didn't hear that i would not do it...my cook is " on average" take it to 160 ish rest, quick chill , slice day of event 8mm , into warming oven where is peaks @200 in its Jus....fall apart tender 
    Could you skip the chill, slice and heat up in aus jus immediately?  Does the chill and reheat do anything special?  What temp do you set the oven at?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    dmourati said:

What am I missing?
    Could you skip the chill, slice and heat up in aus jus immediately?  Does the chill and reheat do anything special?  What temp do you set the oven at?
    @Ozzie_Isaac , chilling it tightens everything and makes slicing on a meat slicer a breeze and allows for consistent  thin slices , you lose no juice when its chills and cooking a day ahead gives you a deeper smoke flavor ...sacrilegious as it may be, we do the same for brisket for our brisket sliders 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I was really skeptical at first as well because I love the reverse sear on tritips.  This was a nice switch up and will definitely do it again.

@lousubcap - I treated it exactly like a brisket, just amended the cooking time way down.  Night before liberal coating of kosher salt, wrapped in plastic, and back in to the fridge.  Day of rubbed down and injected with beef broth/Worcestershire.  Smoked at 250 with hickory and cherry til 160, took about 4 hours.  Wrapped in foil til 200, took about 2.5 hours. Checked for probe tender and declared victory.  Vented for 15 minutes, then ftc for an hour. 
    Lakeville, MN
  • MGStheWolf
    MGStheWolf Posts: 9
    I will have to try it as an experiment, I have cooked hundreds if not thousand of tri tips, so skeptical, but experimental  
  • This sounds incredible.  
  • Sorry y'all.  Im just trying to figure this out.  

1) 2 to 3lb tritip What rub do you use?  When do you put it on?
    2) Day 1 Smoke at 225 until internal temp of 160.  
    3) Ice bath?  What is this?  How long do you do this for.
    4) Fridge Over night
    5) Day 2 slice to 8MM 
    6) Place in oven until 200 IT, but at what temp?  And how long on average?  Also how do you probe a slice of meat.

Thank you,
  • lkapigian
    Sorry y'all.  Im just trying to figure this out.  

1) 2 to 3lb tritip What rub do you use?  When do you put it on?
    2) Day 1 Smoke at 225 until internal temp of 160.  
    3) Ice bath?  What is this?  How long do you do this for.
    4) Fridge Over night
    5) Day 2 slice to 8MM 
    6) Place in oven until 200 IT, but at what temp?  And how long on average?  Also how do you probe a slice of meat.

Thank you,
    full disclosure, I only do this when cooking for an event , as it is quite consistent , but will work on just 1 tri tip, you can skip the quick chill, this is done to get it to a safe temp fast as I cook a day or 2 ahead of the event....BUT it works well for home 

I do 2 parts course pepper, 1 part salt ( flor blanca ) 1 part granulated garlic ...hint of MSG , smoke till bark is set then I pull rest and chill...@ home you can wrap @ that point and finish the cook ....day of eating I slice on my #8 setting ( probably under 8 MM more like 6) goes in a hotel pan in Jus till 200, then it goes into chafing dishes and hel around 160.....you don't probe the slice but it is pull apart tender 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • THANK YOU.   Im gonna give this a try...  some in my family complain the brisket is too fatty...  So I thought I might try this for them.
  • @SmokeyLosAngeles - I smoked at 250 til the stall around 160 IT.  Then I wrapped and put it back on the smoker still at 250 til 200 IT.  I didn't slice or cold rest in between like Ikapigian does.

Lakeville, MN
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I just saw HEB in lakeway selling untrimmed tri-tip primals still in cryovac. Butcher says he’s getting lots of requests to keep them untrimmed for smoking. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Im only 1.5 hours in and I reached 160.  Its only a 2lb tritip.  And I have been at 250 the entire time.  Bark is not even close.  Im gonna let it keep going.
  • I wrapped it at about 168 in foil added a little wine and BBQ sauce becuase I did not have any Beef Broth and let it go to 200 IT.  It was excellent.  Easier than a brisket and almost as good.
  • lkapigian
    I wrapped it at about 168 in foil added a little wine and BBQ sauce becuase I did not have any Beef Broth and let it go to 200 IT.  It was excellent.  Easier than a brisket and almost as good.
    Looks excellent 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Just pulled this one off the egg.
    Got it at Costco a few months ago.
    American BBQ co.
    Smoked with pecan and oak until 120, then seared it. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    My first thought is that cooking a tri-tip to 200 is criminal.  But since I haven’t tried it, maybe I don’t know what I’m missing. 
    New Orleans LA