Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib question

Do y’all do 2/2/1 on baby backs and 3/2/1 on St Louis cuts?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I either do turbo or straight thru no wrap. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    dmchicago said:
    Shocker that bidet boy here lets his meat ride commando.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Pork ribs are my kryptonite.  I usually put them on and go pick up a bucket of KFC for my contingency plan.

I can't cook a rib to save my life.  But, I keep trying.  There is a rack in my fridge for tomorrow.  Poor ribs.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    No wrap here either, I prefer them not to be over cooked.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    That's a pretty good general guideline, @Dawgtired, but I think everybody has a different ratio they arrive at through trial and error. I never go two hours in foul with either baby backs or spares. More like a 3-1-1 or 4-1-1 ratio for me. I also don't add anything that will lead to too much liquid in the foil stage, maybe some brown sugar or pepper jelly or something simple like that. I like a good tender rib, but too much time in the foil or added liquid will make them mushy in my experience, which is the primary thing I try to avoid. People have different sensibilities on ribs and there's lots of ways to get your desired outcome. Also, even bad ribs are never the worst thing you could eat, so experiment away.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    dmchicago said:
    Shocker that bidet boy here lets his meat ride commando.
    I’m all about consistency most of the time. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    My thoughts on pork ribs:
    WRT ribs-all good info above and you will read different approaches to the cook.  All rib cooks are some variation around X-0-0 which translates into the following as you know: Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like.
    The best finish test- use a toothpick and insert in the thickest meat-in and out with no resistance and finished. Also look for a good meat pull-back on the bones.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bella21
    bella21 Posts: 45
    Cook them until you can pick them up with tongs or your hand in the middle and they bend over and start cracking but don’t break. No need to get fancy. 4-6 hours give or take either cut ; spare or baby back. 
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    No need to wrap them.  Just cook
    'em until done and enjoy.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    I don’t think anyone advocates two hours in foil

It gets misremembered or passed along as “3,2,1” like a count-down. 

but it’s really (originally) always been 3,1,1 for baby/loin backs. 

Spares have a mind of their own. 
  • smithtyw
    smithtyw Posts: 3
    I prefer high in the dome, 275 to 300, indirect, no wrap. They tend to be a little on the drier side but that's how my family likes it

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2021
    smithtyw said:
    I prefer high in the dome, 275 to 300, indirect, no wrap. They tend to be a little on the drier side but that's how my family likes it

I like mine the same. Have to watch them a little more but it’s quicker and I like the little char.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i dont use foil anymore nor babybacks. i cook the smallest rack of spares i can find and raised rack direct around 235 dome. that foil stage is inconsistent unless you prefer fall apart ribs, start checking the ribs in the foil earlier than stated and when the meat is in the foil its meat side down so they braise
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I only cook spare ribs and start with 3/1/1 at 250-275F and dial back the time from there. Check at 30 minutes in foil and 30 minutes after peeling foil.

Mountain View, CA
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited May 2021
    The prep.  Most remove the membrane skin.  Most season ahead of time.  Most wrap with siran wrap to let seasoning do its thing.

Everyone has a method they adapted to by failures and oh shyts.  Many have tweaked something they have read or experienced.

Most all agree.  Over cooked ribs from an outdoor cooker, grill, smoker etc should never be as done or as soggy as crock pot ribs that fall off them selves.  Burnt ribs suck, dry ribs piss you off.  Raw ribs make you sick.

Low and slow is a common preference.
    Indirect just prevents flare-up and burns when your not paying attention.  Spray, spritz, or moisten every 30 min or so.

Foil/butcher paper wrapped at some point create a steam to soften and allow liquids to be used with out spilling out and causing flare-up.  No foil/wrap for dry rubs.

Three hours on low w/ smoke is consistent for almost all ribs for 1st portion of cook.  This can be bone down or on edge vertical in a rack.  Again control burns.  When you get the color you like, and the seasoning no longer sticks to your finger is a good visual.

The 2nd portion of the cook wrapped or not is to soften.  If you do a dry cook and no Foil most people moisten with a spray bottle of some solution or water to keep them moist or add flavor.  2 hours or 1 hour at this point is how cooked do you want them.  Wrapping also keeps them from getting darker or burnt looking.  How a tooth pick probes into it.  Solid like frozen or soft like warm butter is the level of how done is it.  If it can be lifted in the center with out splitting yet still bends without falling apart is perfect for most.  Some use beer, apple juice, pineapple juice, brown sugar etc. When wrapped.

The last portion of the cook. Remove foils or paper,   Add your extra season ingredients, jelly, jams, sauces or glaze and put them back on the grill to add grill marks, color, preference or cook in the sauce. Usually less than an hour but this is your perfection A.D.H.D. and photo time.  Usually direct heat. But doesn't matter.  Both sides.

Let rest and cut with a sharp knife. Post what you did on here.  Most that get over involved is for the fun of the outcome.  The look of satisfaction on the sloppy faces around you.  Most important have fun.  Have a story to share, like melting a plastic tray in the oven on mother's day like I did.

Hope it helps.

Columbus, Ohio