Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax Band Spring

Options
While closing the dome, the nut that holds the band spring worked itself loose, so the spring is no longer attached.  Any suggestions on how to reattach the spring?  With the dome fully open, the spring doesn't quite reach and I'm not sure how to stretch it without risking serious bodily harm... 

Also, can someone confirm the groove in the nut should go towards the center of the egg (away from the bolt, as oriented below), similar to on the large with the prior band version.

Thanks for your help!

PS, please feel free to comment about needing to check my nuts more frequently. 

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Take your spring and bend it so you can force a few dimes or pennies between the coils.  That extends it a little.  Then, open your dome and it will be the right length.  Once connected, lower the dome and the pennies will fall out, all over your garage / patio.

Here is a photo of mine, if it helps.

Sorry it is sideways.  I have rotated that photo every way before uploading and cannot get it straight.  And, I am using a computer, so obviously, they broke it worse than it was.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Fixed it for you @Langner91

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Langner91
    Options
    Thanks @Mattman3969!  It always works for me.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    Not trying to hijack thread but how does one go about replacing a cracked minimax base?
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    nealmgb said:
    Not trying to hijack thread but how does one go about replacing a cracked minimax base?
    I ziptie the bands closed, loosen the two side bolts on the dome and base, and lift the dome, and bands off.  Reverse to get the new base back together.  Its worth watching some youtube videos on band replacement.  The MM bands are the same as the old large bands, so many large videos apply here.
  • Langner91
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @nealmgb I am not sure I totally understand what you are asking.

If you bought your minimax new, your dealer should help with warranty on your minimax base.  It is warranted for life if you are the original owner.  

If your minimax is second hand, or you do not qualify for warranty, then a new base is going to cost you around $220.

Now, if your question is "how to" do it.  It is fairly simple.
    • Remove all grids, grates, lump, ash, ceramic top, daisy wheel, etc. from the grill.
    • Carefully remove the fire ring and put it somewhere safe.
    • Carefully remove the fire box and put it somewhere safe.
    • Lower the dome.
    • On the back of the egg, put a few pennies between the coils on the spring.
    • Open the dome and hold on to it!
    • Remove the spring and carefully lower the dome to the closed position, with no spring, the dome will want to fall quickly.  Hold on tightly and do not let it slam!
    • Loosen the lower band bolt and nut until you can carefully lift the dome and band assembly off the grill.  Carefully set the dome and band assembly aside in a safe place.  I lay them upside down.
    • Remove the cracked base from the holder.
    • Install new base in holder.  
    • I do not know if it has a gasket on it when new, but this would be an ideal time to replace the gasket on the dome, if desired.  Install gasket on new base if not already installed.
    • Put dome and band assembly on new base, align the bands so there is a 1/4" gap between top and bottom bands and tighten the lower band bolt.
    • Carefully open the dome, holding on for dear life to make sure it doesn't fall backwards or closed!
    • Reinstall the spring.
    • Close the dome slowly and watch your pennies fall on the floor.  If you haven't cussed yet, it is ok to do so now.
    • Open and close the dome and check alignment.
    • Replace the guts.

Clinton, Iowa
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    @Langner91, thank you (and thank you to @Mattman3969 for the photo assist), that worked perfectly.  The nut is all nice and snug now too.

LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Langner91
    Options
    Glad it worked.  Great photo of the spring with coins in it!

Credit to the first Harley rider that had to change his kickstand spring.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I guess I wasn’t clear.  I’m replacing a cracked base on my MiniMax that was purchased assembled.  

LBGE St. Louis MO