Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pork Tenderloin on the BGE

Memorial Day ahead. Going to do some ribs for me and a pork tenderloin for the bride.

I've done ribs before but not a tenderloin. She isn't a fan of very smokey food so thinking after my 2 hours or so of smoking the ribs when I crutch them to put the tenderloin on---it weighs appx a pound or so.

How long should the tenderloin go? Thinking if it is on when the ribs wrapped, not as much smoke, etc.

Thoughts/tips?

Thanks
LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If it were me I would finish the ribs, pull the PS and cook the tenderloin direct probably around 400 or so.  A tenderloin is not going to take very long to cook to 145°.  Sear all four sides and keep flipping till you hit 140 or so.  

Running the egg up in temp will also help get a clean fire for your wife’s needs 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited May 2021
    You will get a better result grilling the tenderloin.
    it will take maybe 15 minutes max grilled direct at 400

when the ribs are done, pull them off, yank out the indirect set-up, and let the egg get up to 400 or so.

put the tenderloin on the back, and roll it forward as it sears.  few minutes each side.

depending how thick it is you maybe want to take its internal temp. 

if it is already seared and charring too much more (because of rubs, sugar etc), just pull it to the side away from the direct blast of the lump to get to your desired internal temp
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    I agree with the above... Pull the PS after the ribs are done.

Tenderloins suffer from a non-uniform shape.  When the thick end is done the tail is overdone.  Some people will slice the tail partially and fold it over and tie it to keep things symmetrical.

Another technique that I use is to place the tenderloin between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Take a cast iron pan (or mallet) and smack the tenderloin a for times.  You will end up with a piece of meat about 1/2 inch thick, uniform across, and two distinct sides.  Season it up and throw it on the grill for about 4 minutes per side.

The downside, to be careful of, is you just made a thinner piece of meat and it will be easier to overcook.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Tenderloin, or pork loin? 

There is a little difference in timing between the two (loin takes longer than a tenderloin).  But, both should be grilled direct as stated above. 

Grill to internal temperature (~145°F), not time.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    My profile shot is of APL Pork Tenderloin with Rosemary and Peach Preserves.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1224347/apl-pork-tenderloin-with-rosemary-and-peach-preserves
    Mountain View, CA
  • PigBeanUs
    Langner91 said:

There is a little difference in timing between the two (loin takes longer than a tenderloin).  But, both should be grilled direct as stated above. 

Tenderloin vs loin is a common noob mistake

But a one pound loin is just a big pork chop

He’s got a tenderloin
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,205
    Agreed on the fast versus slow method. I will typically roll them in herbs or other seasonings and roast them indirect at 450* to 500*. It makes for a nice uniform cook. I seperate the tail of the tenderloin and pull it off when it's done. It makes a good quality assurance sample to nibble on while the thick end finishes. Pull while still just a little on the rare side (about 140*-145*) and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting for service.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • PatrickJ117
    PatrickJ117 Posts: 32
    Pig Bean Us--It is a tenderloin as I stated
    LBGE, Weber Summit 4 burner--Philadelphia, PA
    Syracuse U., Yankees, E-A-G-L-E-S

Old Indian saying...When riding a dead horse, by all means dismount...
  • @PatrickJ117 I grill direct as stated above.  The only suggestion I can add is a tenderloin really benefits from a few hours of brining.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • PigBeanUs
    Pig Bean Us--It is a tenderloin as I stated
    Yeah. I wasnt questioning it actually

do it direct,
    after the ribs
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    The tenderloins we get from Costco come 2 to a package, so I tie them up, head to tail to create a uniform cylinder, or if you are just cooking 1, fold the tail over and tie it up. I agree with the direct, hot cook. Take it to 140 IT. Here's a great plum sauce we like.

Ingredients 

·      1 can 16 oz. purple plums, pitted and pureed

·      2 Tbl. butter

·      1 small onion diced

·      1/3 cup brown sugar

·      1/4 cup Homeade chili sauce

·      2 Tbl. soy sauce

·      2 tsp. lemon juice

·      1 tsp ground ginger

Directions 

Saute onion in butter until clear, 4-5 minutes

Mix pureed plums and all ingredients together, add to the onion and bring to a boil, simmer 25 to 30 minutes.

It will thicken and become a beautiful red color

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited May 2021
    PigBeanUs said:
    Langner91 said:

Tenderloin vs loin is a common noob mistake

But a one pound loin is just a big pork chop

He’s got a tenderloin
    Good catch.  Sorry I confused it.  I missed the one pound.
    Clinton, Iowa