Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Rub Recipes or Recommendations

Looking for some recommendations on good jerk spice rubs or easy recipes to make one. Any go-to’s out there?

Comments

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Will second DP’s Jamaican Firewall
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    @johnnyp I hear ya. I usually use a spice rub as a base and turn it into a paste using some evoo or similar for quicker marinades when I fail to prep for weeknight cooks. When I have forethought and prep time on my side, I’ll go all in with a homemade marinade. 

Thanks for the heads up on Walkerswood too. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This is an excellent recipe. @JohnInCarolina has posted it before. From Lisa Fetterman’s “Sous Vide at Home”. Easily tweaked for egging. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    edited May 2021
    Have tried many, have made many, but nothing compares to Walkerswood. So much so that I’ve stopped trying and making — it’s that good. And it’s HOT, so use sparingly and at your own risk. 

One somewhat unusual recipe/use is jerk turkey chili. It’s a throw together cook with a ground turkey base (duh), but adding walkerswood makes it awesome. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Only use Walkers Wood and yes learn its heat in small steps
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    If not using walkers wood, I make this:

Ingredients

6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    4 scallions, coarsely chopped
    4 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, stemmed, seeded, coarsely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    2 tablespoons fresh thyme
    1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons allspice berries
    1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar

Preparation

Purée 4 tablespoons oil and the next 10 ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Transfer 1/4 cup marinade to a small bowl and make sauce: Whisk in vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season to taste with salt. Refrigerate sauce. Put meat in a glass, stainless-steel, or ceramic dish. Toss with remaining marinade. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight. Remove meat from marinade, pat dry, and grill.

The finish:
    Spoon reserved sauce over grilled meat.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I wish I could get the family into this. I love Jamaica jerk, but the family won't touch. I'll definitely lookout for the walkerswood
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Walkerswood does offer two levels of heat, mild and hot so you should be able to find a version that works.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Thanks for the recs everyone! I’ll pick up some Walkerswood this week. And I’m very intrigued by the SV jerk wings recipe. Food post upcoming...
  • GIG_Smoker
    GIG_Smoker Posts: 17
    Anyone try Grace Jamaican Jerk Seasoning? I’ve been using Walkerswood for a while, but saw this stuff recently and thought about giving it shot.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Anyone try Grace Jamaican Jerk Seasoning? I’ve been using Walkerswood for a while, but saw this stuff recently and thought about giving it shot.
    Have tried it -- only when I couldn't find WW -- and it's ok.  Not as hot and I found it a bit salty.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    caliking said:
    This is an excellent recipe. @JohnInCarolina has posted it before. From Lisa Fetterman’s “Sous Vide at Home”. Easily tweaked for egging. 

Yep.  I actually prefer this to Walkerswood.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    CornfedMA said:
    Thanks for the recs everyone! I’ll pick up some Walkerswood this week. And I’m very intrigued by the SV jerk wings recipe. Food post upcoming...
    Just a warning that WW is pretty salty.  I have tried it with a SV recipe in the past and... no bueno.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Walkerswood MILD is far less salty than the HOT version. According to their labels anyway. Still flavorful, but not at all hot. Try the Mild and add a habanero or two to taste.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Walkerswood MILD is far less salty than the HOT version. According to their labels anyway. Still flavorful, but not at all hot. Try the Mild and add a habanero or two to taste.
    I have used them both in a SV cook.  Even the mild is really plenty salty after a long bath.  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I bought a few jars of Walkerswood Hot yesterday.  I opened a jar to see what it tasted like. It is indeed spicy. I'm not yet sure how I will ever be able to use three jars of this stuff.
    I really believe it could be used as paint stripper in a pinch.
  • GIG_Smoker
    GIG_Smoker Posts: 17
    Have tried it -- only when I couldn't find WW -- and it's ok.  Not as hot and I found it a bit salty.
    Thanks
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    I used to use Walkerswood and found it very salty. A Jamaican co-worker turned me onto Grace's and that's been my go to since. Good luck.