Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gas Shortage Thread - OT

kl8ton
kl8ton Posts: 5,410
Seeing a few of you are being affected by the gas shortage.  I have heard rumblings of this, but here in West Michigan, that I know of, we have no shortage. . . yet.  I have off-road diesel delivered in bulk and have a diesel excursion, so if worse came to worse, I guess I would fill the excursion from our bulk tank.  

What are you all seeing out there?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

From Tallahassee - what could possibly go wrong?

laying the tanks on their side is a pretty novel idea
    All that work for an extra tank of gas.  Sometimes I wonder.
    Sugah, pass me one of dem Kool Menthols, fillin' dem tanks was sum work der!

From Tallahassee - what could possibly go wrong?

laying the tanks on their side is a pretty novel idea
    All that work for an extra tank of gas.  Sometimes I wonder.

thats over 110 hours trolling on my boat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    PigBeanUs said:
    A bunch of people who swear they don’t trust the media pile into their cars and panic-buy gas

it’s lack of education that has ruined this country. 

Lack of critical thinking. 
    May I add, Greed?  
    It's all about Me.  Me me ME!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    edited May 2021
    There is some informed speculation that Colonial may not be able to automatically invoice customers for fuel deliveries, thus they shutdown the pipeline...
    "Colonial Pipeline has said that only its corporate IT network was infected with the ransomware but that it decided to close down the operational network — and the pipelines that this network controls — out of an abundance of caution.

The source who works for the midstream oil company told Zero Day that one reason Colonial might still be keeping the pipelines offline — in addition to needing to add security measures to it — is because “something they need for [restarting] the pipeline is ransomed.”

He thinks this could be the automated ticketing system for billing customers, which is on the corporate IT network that was hit with the ransomware. If that system is locked, Colonial can’t invoice customers automatically, he said.

Colonial’s operational network controls the flow of oil product from the pipeline to distributors, then passes information to the ticketing system — located on the IT network — about how much each distributor received so the ticketing system can invoice them. If that system is locked and the pipeline is still flowing, Colonial would have to manually collect information about how much fuel is flowing to each customer, then manually process invoices. If Colonial didn’t already have a plan for doing this manually, it may keep the pipelines down until it can determine an efficient way to invoice customers this way or until it can restore the automated ticketing system."

Colonial also has this black-mark on their scorecard...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    First I have heard of this. I have to fill up the DD today. I bet gas is up.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Most of the stations are out here. That pipeline was 45% of the gas for the SE so it is going to cause a little bit of a problem. The people hoarding doesnt help but there is a shortage since 45% of the production is currently gone. Around here we are a little north of atlanta i would say 50% plus of stations are out of gas but closer to Atlanta its almost all of them. Also closer to the Hwy its all gone since people are driving up from Atlanta.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Fortunately for my neighbors we live about 15 miles from a Chevron refinery. Well within trucking distance. The problem is a shortage of certified truckers. 
  • Lit
    Fortunately for my neighbors we live about 15 miles from a Chevron refinery. Well within trucking distance. The problem is a shortage of certified truckers. 
    What happened to the drivers that were delivering it a week ago?
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    ryantt said:

This reminds me of a time in highschool when a bunch of us went to party at a lake, several car loads.  One guy was on empty when got there and worried about making it home the whole time there.  We eventually decided to siphon gas from one of the fuller tanks into a styrofoam cooler for transfer.  It melted instantly. 
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    I’m a little more concerned about this. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Teddy. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ryantt said:

the one time i bought milk in canada and this is how it was packaged
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    ryantt said:

Wait until you see what they call bacon!  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    ryantt said:

if it was yellowish like those bags, I'd be a bit suspicious that Canadian Milk is supposed to look like that.

ryantt said:

Did you buy it from a Canadian woman?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    WHELP thank goodness I'm working from home, and don't really need gas. LOL. The world has gone insane, for real this time.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    50% of all stations  out in SC.  I would like to float an idea........
    what do ya say we start a rumor that there’s about to be a shortage of jobs? Do you think all these people would go out of their way and find jobs? It worked for TP and gas. 🤷‍♂️ 😂 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • etherdome said:
    what do ya say we start a rumor that there’s about to be a shortage of jobs? Do you think all these people would go out of their way and find jobs? It worked for TP and gas. 🤷‍♂️ 😂 
    Which people?
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited May 2021
    etherdome said:
    Which people?
    The chronically jobless who are probably  the same ones buying up all the gas during  normal working hours .  Not to be confused with the retired or people who have fallen on hard times but at least still try to be employed . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Lit said:
    They have to have more truckers in order to truck it further. Distances that used to be covered by pipeline. 
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    They have to have more truckers in order to truck it further. Distances that used to be covered by pipeline. 
    I read online we are getting gas from other countries by boat. If thats the case and we are short truckers how will the gas from the boats get to us.
  • nolaegghead
    You sure are asking the right questions
    Looks like they just reopened the pipeline at 5.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    kl8ton said:
    They announced on the news the other day that there will be a chlorine shortage.  Of course my pool supply store now has no chlorine.  I wonder sometimes if these industries leak info to the media that they are "about to run out" of something just to boost sales.  lol I kid of course.  But it does make you think.  
    I run a commercial pool.  It is being said that lots of families put in pools during the pandemic and now there is not enough chlorine.  The Pool supplier I use said that a hurricane caused a chlorine plant in Texas to burn down.  This plant supplied %95 of our countries chlorine.  I do know about the plant burning.  Not sure I believe the numbers.  That plant will not be operational again for a year. 
    My pool is bromine and I am switching to a salt system this year.  
    We can't really switch to a salt system here because our water is so hard, or we would have switched a long time ago.
    In my neck of the woods, pool builders have doubled, even tripled, their business in the past year. I’ve lost count of how many people I know have put in pools. So chlorine consumption is bound to go up. 

Haven’t seen chlorine at Costco for the past 2-3 weeks. None at Sam’s either. Sam’s had plenty of shock though. 

I bought a solar ionizer thingy from Costco this week, which supposedly works well, but haven’t used it long enough to know. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    caliking said:
    kl8ton said:
    They announced on the news the other day that there will be a chlorine shortage.  Of course my pool supply store now has no chlorine.  I wonder sometimes if these industries leak info to the media that they are "about to run out" of something just to boost sales.  lol I kid of course.  But it does make you think.  
    I run a commercial pool.  It is being said that lots of families put in pools during the pandemic and now there is not enough chlorine.  The Pool supplier I use said that a hurricane caused a chlorine plant in Texas to burn down.  This plant supplied %95 of our countries chlorine.  I do know about the plant burning.  Not sure I believe the numbers.  That plant will not be operational again for a year. 
    My pool is bromine and I am switching to a salt system this year.  
    We can't really switch to a salt system here because our water is so hard, or we would have switched a long time ago.
    In my neck of the woods, pool builders have doubled, even tripled, their business in the past year. I’ve lost count of how many people I know have put in pools. So chlorine consumption is bound to go up. 

Haven’t seen chlorine at Costco for the past 2-3 weeks. None at Sam’s either. Sam’s had plenty of shock though. 

I bought a solar ionizer thingy from Costco this week, which supposedly works well, but haven’t used it long enough to know. 

The floater with the copper rod?
  • Lit
    Except that the pipeline said its going to be several days before things are back to normal so probably mid next week.
  • nolaegghead
    WHOOOOSSHHHH