Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redneck Sous Vide

Options
DieselkW
DieselkW Posts: 894
I priced a few of those little water heaters, seems (to me) to be a waste of money. I mean, how much difference does it make if the water is 125º or 119º?

I had a bone in ribeye - 2.5lbs - taken out of the freezer about 3 days ago. It's raining today in the MidWest, don't feel like Egging in the rain for a long cook that I have to watch so I dumped the steak in an old beer cooler, filled it with hot tap water, let the temp settle, and added boiling water until I got a steady 125º.

If it goes below 119º I'll just add some boiling water.

If it goes over 130º by mistake, I'll add an ice cube or two.

Bottom line, the cooler will keep the water warm, the steak will come to an even 120º more or less, and I'll sear it at 400º dome temp in 60 seconds while it rains on me. 

Finished Pictures later Eggheads.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments