Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuban pork

Options
onpoint456
onpoint456 Posts: 204
edited April 2021 in EggHead Forum
A little while ago someone posted a recipe for cuban pork that looked pretty good so I decided to take a crack at it.

The recipe called for it to be cooked in the oven but I decided to do the first part of the cook in the egg then finish in the oven. 

Turned out pretty good, served with yellow rice with tomatoes and black beans and avocado.

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    looks yummy!
    Plz tell me about the yellow rice
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • onpoint456
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    looks yummy!
    Plz tell me about the yellow rice
    It's nothing fancy, just packaged yellow rice from the store. This is usually what I get for quick meals.

https://www.instacart.com/products/38105-mahatma-seasoned-rice-yellow-rice-recipe-5-oz?retailer_id=159

It's pretty good and better if you throw in onions, tomatoes, peppers and beans.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Nice looking cook. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Will you share the deets!!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• onpoint456
    Options
    Absolutely, here's the recipe.

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup cilantro / coriander, lightly packed
    1 tbsp orange zest
    3/4 cup orange juice, fresh
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup mint leaves, lightly packed
    8 garlic cloves
    1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, packed (or 1/2 tbsp dried oregano)
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper

PORK
    4 lb / 2 kg pork shoulder / pork butt, skinless and boneless (not loin or leg roast, will dry out)

MOJO SAUCE
    2 tbsp lime juice
    1/4 cup orange juice
    Salt and pepper

Instructions
    Combine Marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend until the herbs and garlic are finely chopped. Alternatively, you can finely chop/mince the garlic and herbs then mix all ingredients in a bowl.
    Place in a large ziplock bag with the pork. Place in the fridge overnight (in a bowl, just to be safe).

Remove the pork from the Marinade and leave on counter for 1 hour (bring to room temp). Reserve the Marinade.

Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F (200°C fan).
    Roast, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Base with pan juices.

Reduce heat to 190°C/375°F (170°C). Roast for another 1 1/2 - 2 hours, basting every half hour, until the internal temperature reaches 70°/160°F. At this temperature, the pork is cooked, still juicy, and carvable, as it is intended to be (Note 1)

Fall-apart tender alternative (not slicable, meat falls apart): Roast at 160°C/320°F (all oven types) for 3 1/2 hours, or until the meat can be easily shredded using 2 forks (check on side).

Remove from the oven and place on a plate, loosely covered with foil. Rest for 20 minutes before serving with the Mojo Sauce on the side. I decorated mine with pan fried slices of oranges and extra cilantro/coriander leaves.

MOJO SAUCE
    Place the reserved Marinade, Mojo Sauce ingredients and 2 tbsp of the roasting pan drippings into a small saucepan. Bring to boil and add salt and pepper to taste. You might also want to add more lime juice or even a touch of sugar. Turn the heat down and simmer for 1 minute, then remove from the stove and set aside.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice - mojo pork butt is one of my fav things to cook on egg
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    That may have been me who posted a few weeks ago. My post https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1227638/mojo-cuban-pork-cubanos-cook-with-pics#latest

Yours looks great. Are you making sandwiches / cubanos next? I love the recipe so much that I keep wanting to do it again but it’s a lot of meat and I only did it about a month ago
  • onpoint456
    Options
    TheToast said:
    That may have been me who posted a few weeks ago. My post https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1227638/mojo-cuban-pork-cubanos-cook-with-pics#latest

Yours looks great. Are you making sandwiches / cubanos next? I love the recipe so much that I keep wanting to do it again but it’s a lot of meat and I only did it about a month ago
    Yes, that post was my inspiration. I cut the shoulder in half so I only cooked 3-4 pounds. I would love to do this again and make cuban sandwiches. Sounds like I know what to do with other half of the butt.