Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where's the beef?

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
Epicurious magazine/website will no longer publish any recipes using beef.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/why-epicurious-left-beef-behind-article

That's... quite a step.   :o 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Are they really comparing raising cattle to beans? What's next....Cow farts?  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    so 8 billion people eating a diet of beans will lower green house gases
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    add to that my dog eating leftover beans instead of marrow bones
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    That's a pretty bold step by them. Beef production is pretty hard on the planet.
    Their stance will likely have very little impact here but good on 'em for making an effort.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    Hmm...let's see, am I more likely to stop eating beef or stop using their site?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited April 2021
    I am going to unsubscribe from their distribution lists and stop visiting their site!  oh wait… who?

im going to stop drinking coke products
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Really great reactions, love it.  Maybe we could make some flags and signs and get a boat parade to rally around beef.  If we don’t stand up now, you know the gov will come and confiscate your brisket and ribeyes.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    "You can take my brisket when you pry it from my cold dead hands!"
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    bookmark removed
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    SonVolt said:
    bookmark removed

you bookmarked this thread and why
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2021
    I haven't used them in years, so a little bookmark pruning is long overdue. That'll teach 'em. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited April 2021
    1.  Good, less people eating beef means better prices for me.

B.  They still have beef recipes, just not new recipes.  What new recipe could they possibly offer?  Best beef recipie is a steak with S&P.  Nothing needs improving.

iv.  Does having horses make me an awful planet hating heathen?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    1.  Good, less people eating beef means better prices for me.

B.  They still have beef recipes, just not new recipes.  What new recipe could they possibly offer?  Best beef recipie is a steak with S&P.  Nothing needs improving.

iii.  Does having horses make me an awful planet hating heathen?

only if you sell the horsemeat to france

fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Before the cows there were wild buffalo, best estimates on the web say totals of 50-75 million.  USDA says 95M cows in the US in 2020.
    We're those old buffaloes eco-friendly?
    Seems to me replacing buffs with cows would maintain a natural state as regards "green" stuff.
    *I live in a ranching state, NE.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The best environmental culling would be with people.  Use birth control, don't get vaccinated, eat MORE beef!  (guitar riff here)
    The best environmental culling would be with people.  Use birth control, don't get vaccinated, eat MORE beef!  (guitar riff here)
    I wonder if recipies for people would be a big draw?  I mean if recipies drive behavior.....
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    I wonder if recipies for people would be a big draw?  I mean if recipies drive behavior.....
    Ugh.  Those cannibals are sooo annoying.  Please no. 

Let's stick with the hippophagy.  If the French are into it, it must be hip.

Botch said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    That’s not an editorial, it’s an ad. All they did was try to place themselves on a pedestal while plugging a sponsor that happens to mfg plant based food products. If they genuinely gave a sh!t about the health of the planet, they’d promote locally sourced food, farms practicing regenerative agriculture and the health benefits associated with nose to tail nutrition of well raised animals. Not another company mass producing plant based meat alternatives. 
  • Botch
    Botch said:

Ah, but this thread got more comments than anything I've posted in the last 3 months, soooo:

:tongue:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Botch said:
    Botch said:

Ah, but this thread got more comments than anything I've posted in the last 3 months, soooo:

:tongue:

My gif was more about Epicurious magazine’s decision than your thread.  I have *maybe* heard of Epicurious before, but that’s about the extent of it.  
  • Botch
    This whole "story" just got a bit more interesting.  :D  

Watching PBS Newshour tonight (as I always do), here's a link to tonight's broadcast, jump to about 19:45:
    https://www.pbs.org/video/april-27-2021-pbs-newshour-full-episode-1619496001/
    It started as a university study on how much reducing beef consumption would reduce greenhouse gases (something we've known for years), picked up by Faux's Tucker Carlson (an outstanding news journalist [/not]), and then amplified by Larry Kudlow as a Biden plot to destroy America's 4th.  
    PBS didn't mention anything about Epicurious's change, linked to this story, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Botch said:
    This whole "story" just got a bit more interesting.  :D  

Watching PBS Newshour tonight (as I always do), here's a link to tonight's broadcast, jump to about 19:45:
    https://www.pbs.org/video/april-27-2021-pbs-newshour-full-episode-1619496001/
    It started as a university study on how much reducing beef consumption would reduce greenhouse gases (something we've known for years), picked up by Faux's Tucker Carlson (an outstanding news journalist [/not]), and then amplified by Larry Kudlow as a Biden plot to destroy America's 4th.  
    PBS didn't mention anything about Epicurious's change, linked to this story, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.  
    Saw that.  What’s the saying?  A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put on its shoes.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Not a problem. SRF still has recipes for those. Who need them. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    If all the people that eat beef switched to beans, would the methane production go up? You know the saying - beans, beans, they're good for your heart.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    What next? Will they make us drink plant-based beer, too?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    Next we'll be forced to eat vegetarians.....wait.