Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubber Chicken

Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,204
I did a couple Chicken halves this past weekend and was pretty disappointed. Despite using Rockwood lump the bird had an off flavor and the skin was like thick rubber. It was night and day different from when I use my Weber kettle with Kingsford, where I get crispy skin and subtle smoke flavor. Please share some Chicken methods.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    People often complain about rubber chicken from the egg. No one ever complains about chicken from the Weber. Use the kettle.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I wonder why. To easy to accidentally get too hot on BGE?
  • Teefus
    Actually I think the Weber runs hotter. I kept the Egg at about 325 degrees dome temp.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Did some wings in the airfryer for the first time this weekend. Just dusted them with Wonderbird and 20 minutes @ 400. Wow, very easy ,very crispy and very good!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Surprised Rubber Chicken Chiken Head Close Up Isolated On White Stock  Photo Picture And Royalty Free Image Image 146448209
    I have a MiniMax on my golf cart
    Florida

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2021
     I’m a firm believer that hotter and higher is better for chicken when you want crispy skin. I will run anywhere from 400-475. Direct vs indirect for me has a lot to do with the bird itself. If I’ve got a small non plumped bird I run direct and if it is a juiced up bird I got indirect because I think all the juice that drips from the bird taints the smoke flavor.  
      If you get the chance try an indirect cook with a drip pan and compare the amount of drippings from small non juiced vs the big plumped birds.  You’ll see a difference. I really believe that the juiced birds release so much liquid that it is hard to crisp the skin when only cooking to 155-160 but with all the extra moisture it doesn’t hurt to go to higher finished temps. 
      I hardly ever air dry or cornstarch my birds anymore but instead cook till I’m happy with the skin and the way the joints and skin feels  only time I temp chicken is on BLSL breast and thighs or when cooking individual pieces. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Did some wings in the airfryer for the first time this weekend. Just dusted them with Wonderbird and 20 minutes @ 400. Wow, very easy ,very crispy and very good!
    @frazzdaddy What is Wonderbird? Got a link?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    @frazzdaddy What is Wonderbird? Got a link?

One of my favs

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    @ColtsFan, thanks!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

•  I’m a firm believer that hotter and higher is better for chicken when you want crispy skin. I will run anywhere from 400-475. Direct vs indirect for me has a lot to do with the bird itself. If I’ve got a small non plumped bird I run direct and if it is a juiced up bird I got indirect because I think all the juice that drips from the bird taints the smoke flavor.  
      If you get the chance try an indirect cook with a drip pan and compare the amount of drippings from small non juiced vs the big plumped birds.  You’ll see a difference. I really believe that the juiced birds release so much liquid that it is hard to crisp the skin when only cooking to 155-160 but with all the extra moisture it doesn’t hurt to go to higher finished temps. 
      I hardly ever air dry or cornstarch my birds anymore but instead cook till I’m happy with the skin and the way the joints and skin feels  only time I temp chicken is on BLSL breast and thighs or when cooking individual pieces. 
    I agree.  I cook chicken from 375 to 400 and I consistently get crisp skin without air drying or dry brining or anything else special.  I just did this one a few days ago:

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
     I’m a firm believer that hotter and higher is better for chicken when you want crispy skin. I will run anywhere from 400-475. Direct vs indirect for me has a lot to do with the bird itself. If I’ve got a small non plumped bird I run direct and if it is a juiced up bird I got indirect because I think all the juice that drips from the bird taints the smoke flavor.  
    I agree, the egg holds moisture much better than a kettle. So, to avoid the "rubber chicken" you need to bump the temps way up (400-475). I also prefer to grill chicken "Raised Direct". Direct with the grid higher in the dome.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    abpgwolf said:
    I agree, the egg holds moisture much better than a kettle. So, to avoid the "rubber chicken" you need to bump the temps way up (400-475). I also prefer to grill chicken "Raised Direct". Direct with the grid higher in the dome.
    100% agree with temp and raised direct.
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    this method works for me every single time:

spatchcock the chicken (cut out the backbone, press down on it to flatten it. dry with paper towel on skin side. Season both sides with whatever you want)

bring egg to 400 degrees, takes about 30-45min to bring to temp and have it running clean. 

cook raised, direct (you want your grid at the felt line)

put it on the egg, legs facing towards the rear, skin side UP (not on the grid)

dont touch it for 40min (no flip, no rotate, don't even open it)

temp it after 40min (I pull mine when the fat part of the breast registers 163-164)

sometimes it can take 45min

you get crackly skin
  • @marcdc I use the same method but I go even higher in the dome with a Ceramic Grill Store raised grid.  This allows you to capture radiant heat from the dome the same as a pizza cook.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Teefus
    Thanks for all the tips. I’m going to do a clean burn this weekend and burn off all The residue. Hoping that helps the flavor issue. 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    @Teefus, Could you post an update?

What did you do to create the clean burn, and how well did it work in your egg? 
  • Teefus
    I just loaded the fire box and let her rip. I installed the plate setter legs down to burn off all the drippings that had accumulated. Basically pizza mode with everything wide open. It spend two hours at 600* indicated dome temp. I didn’t get white ash on the entire interior but it burned off plenty of deposited grease. I’m doing ribs for Bride of Teefus tomorrow and we’ll see if it made a difference. 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    People often complain about rubber chicken from the egg. No one ever complains about chicken from the Weber. Use the kettle.
    Nope.  I've done yardbird countless times in the egg.  Smoked, spatchcock and beer can.  Always tremendous.  My wife's comment is that the breast is almost too juicy - something I just do not understand.....  Perhaps pulling too late.  160 - 165 is target temp.

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Teefus
    Follow Up......

The clean burn was apparently effective. I've done ribs and a turkey breast since and there were no off flavors. I did the "skin on" turkey breast at a hotter than normal (for me) temp too. The dome was 375* to 400* for the whole cook. While the skin wasn't crisp, it was getting close. The bird tasted great.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    The fat dripping in the hot coal is most likely what gives the off flavour, I am surprised that a clean burn helped.  IMHO, indirect with a dry drip pan is the way to go for chicken with skin.  That fat dripping in the pan and vaporizing back on the chicken is full of good flavor.

I typically cook chicken with skin indirect at 375-400 and then raise to 425-450 toward the end (last 5-10 minutes) for a total of 45-60 minutes.  You really need to watch it toward the end because the time window between perfect crisp and somewhat burned is pretty narrow.

All that being said, I overheard that @Mickey has the best method for crispy chicken skin.

To be fair, I'd done about 5 years of low and slow without a thorough cleanout so I wasn't that surprised it made a difference. I've only used the egg without a drip pan on a couple occasions, and that was for steaks.

Another thing I've done lately is really let the coals get going strong prior to throttling them back for an indirect cook. While I've always let it go long enough for "blue smoke" I suspect it wasn't long enough to clear all the volatiles. Always learning I guess.