Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Good color choice on the vice.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    The buying bit is the new jaws. The rest of it is a rebuild. This was my grandfather's vice, a Parkinson quick release. Everything worked and I still used it, but the jaws were badly rounded off and the whole thing was rust coloured. A guy on ebay makes jaws to order for old vices, you can see how battered the vice is now the jaws have square edges. Lots of slack in the sliders, but the screw / half nut are good and the QR works perfectly.

We all have our vices.

I have a couple woodworking with the quick release.  You're going to have more slop with those, it's normal.  As long as the Acme threads are good...
    Options
    Used snowblower. Bigger than I need, but a decent deal popped up.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Just got the replacement garbage disposal delivered.  Then I thought, since I'm going to re-plumb all that, now is the time for a new sink, we hate our double bowl.  So I ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08532216Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Options
    Just got the replacement garbage disposal delivered.  Then I thought, since I'm going to re-plumb all that, now is the time for a new sink, we hate our double bowl.  So I ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08532216Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    We converted to single bowl when we renovated the kitchen and never looked back.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I put that one in maybe 18 years ago. 
    Options
    Eoin said:
    The buying bit is the new jaws. The rest of it is a rebuild. This was my grandfather's vice, a Parkinson quick release. Everything worked and I still used it, but the jaws were badly rounded off and the whole thing was rust coloured. A guy on ebay makes jaws to order for old vices, you can see how battered the vice is now the jaws have square edges. Lots of slack in the sliders, but the screw / half nut are good and the QR works perfectly.

That looks really, really familiar...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options

I'm a little late to the party. The book has been referenced millions and millions of times regarding steroids in baseball. It ended up being one of the biggest baseball stories ever. The media was all over it. So you knew all the big names that were referenced in the book without having to read it 

I just finished up watching an interview done by VladTV on YouTube with Jose Canseco. I found it really interesting. Which got me thinking about his book "Juiced". As a baseball fan I probably should take the time and read it. I couldn't pass it up for $4 with free shipping. Even if I know 80% of the story it still should be a good read nonetheless. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    edited April 2021
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Illumination for the patio, mounted around perimeter of a pergola.  I'm typically not a fan of home "smart-devices", but got swayed by these.  From a phone app you can control brightness, a full spectrum of white color temps and any color of the rainbow.  18 bulbs on a 36' string, $70. at Costco.
    Waiting on darkness to see what they do.

Keep us posted as I am in the market
    Follow-up with my observations:
    - I'm very happy with the purchase, they do everything I was hoping for.
    - Brightness is more than adequate, each bulb outputs around 50 lumens drawing 0.5 W.  Running at 35% intensity the "warm white" color illuminates my coverage area well.
    - I think the red will be nice when sitting out stargazing.
    - The main strand wiring is thick (perhaps .5").  The mounting tab for each bulb will not not mount flush to a vertical surface.  I'm in a mock-up config right now with the bulbs dangling due to this.  My permanent install will raise the lights so that only the bulb drops below the horizontal perimeter of the pergola.  To do so I'll fashion a spacer behind each mounting tab, or run a length of wire along the upper portion of the 2x6, then attach the tab to the wire with zip-ties.

Items to be aware of:
    - These must have a 2.4GHz WiFi connection, there is no provision for 5GHz.
    - There is no manual* control per-se, you must have the smartphone app or Alexa or Google Home.  I do not have Alexa or Google Home so can't comment on those.  The app is nice and works well.
    - There is a basic schedule you can program in, turn-on-time/turn-off-time.  I'm set to turn on at dusk, off at dawn.
    - *There is a power button that can be used to reset the device or do a manual power off.  From what I see, using the power button to turn on only allows cycling thru various pre-set "themes".  Not of which I particularly care for.  There is a Christmas one, alternate red/green, probably will use that in Dec.
    - The control unit mounting tabs will also require a spacer of some sort.

A bonus is the energy generation capability, 24W in and 610W out.  Over time these will pay for themselves!   :)

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Eotech exps3-4 with magnifier combo for an AR. It’s what my 6 year old will use to whitetail hunt this season. AR with a suppressor, can’t go wrong
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Eotech exps3-4 with magnifier combo for an AR. It’s what my 6 year old will use to whitetail hunt this season. AR with a suppressor, can’t go wrong
    Caliber?
    Dyersburg, TN
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Just got a enclosed trailer for my tools. Working on cabinets now after using it to move equipment around.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    leemschu said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Caliber?
    5.56. It’s an LMT LM8. Had it for a few years now. Figured low recoil, no sound needed a magnified optic to put him on target at 100 yards or so. Finally found one 6 months later
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray Special 4H in Burnt Apple. I’ve wanted a Stingray for 20 years - finally pulled the trigger!
    Congrats. Beautiful piece. I’ve always wanted a MusicMan Ball Family Reserve, but I have too many pieces of gear I’m eyeing (and also too many around the house). Next on the acquisition list are probably a nice Suhr Classic and maybe a Lowden O Series. Enjoy!
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray Special 4H in Burnt Apple. I’ve wanted a Stingray for 20 years - finally pulled the trigger!
    I use to have a Sterling in Honeyburst. One of the originals not the cheap version from nowadays. It was owned by Dave Larue before I got it. Still regret selling that thing. You will love that Stingray, in my humble opinion one of the best sounding basses ever.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Awesome bass. I had a JP6 BFR for a while. It was nice, too nice so I ended up selling it. I don't like my guitars being too precious to the point where I'm scared to play it. My main guitar's a '78 LP standard I bought in the '90s as soon as I graduated high school. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    Congrats. Beautiful piece. I’ve always wanted a MusicMan Ball Family Reserve, but I have too many pieces of gear I’m eyeing (and also too many around the house). Next on the acquisition list are probably a nice Suhr Classic and maybe a Lowden O Series. Enjoy!
    Thanks!  Yes, the BFR stuff is amazing!  But, I hear you on the too many pieces of gear!  I think G.A.S. can get the best of us musicians. I also play six-string - an American Tele and a couple of Les Pauls - so I know that there’s no place to stop. I went on a Pedal buying spree for a couple of years. When I filled up two boards I decided it was time to cool it a little!  You obviously have excellent taste in guitars. The Suhr and Lowden Stuff is fantastic!
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"
  • Flatfoot
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    I use to have a Sterling in Honeyburst. One of the originals not the cheap version from nowadays. It was owned by Dave Larue before I got it. Still regret selling that thing. You will love that Stingray, in my humble opinion one of the best sounding basses ever.
    I think we’ve all sold gear that we wish we would have kept. I am loving the ‘Ray for sure!  It’s everything that I thought it would be. 
  • Flatfoot
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I had a JP6 BFR for a while. It was nice, too nice so I ended up selling it. I don't like my guitars being too precious to the point where I'm scared to play it. My main guitar's a '78 LP standard I bought in the '90s as soon as I graduated high school. 

Two beautiful guitars there SonVolt!  I understand about the too precious thing. I don’t mind normal dings and wear and tear, but I tend to baby my guitars, so I can understand your reluctance to play that BFR. I noticed your Sweetwater certificate in the case. Have you ever been to their campus in Fort Wayne?  If not, you really should go sometime - the amusement park of music stores!  I was there in November, 2019. What an experience!  That’s a great looking LP, btw!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    5 yards washed gravel stone, digging a leach pit next weekend...ohhh the fun
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I haven't but would love to go. I don't even mind their spam sales calls I get from Adam. Seems like a great dude. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Man, I wish I never got rid of that burned up guitar that some guy, Jimmy H or something, threw away after a show....

astoria-Strat

Options
    I kid...
    Options
    Sometimes when folks decide that playing the guitar just isn’t for them, they do drastic things!  😜
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Flatfoot said:
    Flatfoot said:
    I think we’ve all sold gear that we wish we would have kept. I am loving the ‘Ray for sure!  It’s everything that I thought it would be. 
    I've owned so much gear over the years that I've moved on from but selling that Sterling still stings. But at the time I thought I was "growing" as a musician and needed a different sound. I learned from that and am keeping my Ashdown gear till I die.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018: I recently lost a UK-made Ashdown acoustic amp during some flooding. The insurance company’s suggested replacement and associated payout - a Fender Frontman at $280. 🙃

I had slowed my guit purchases over the last year or so, but am getting the itch again. Have even been looking at some early 60s strats - part for my enjoyment and part as an investment. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    avoid early CBS fenders unless they mistakenly made a decent one.

Options
    Technically the wife bought it. I just had to help load into the truck and carry it inside. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL