Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket decision - going nekid?

Options
My lower OME felt came off completely from a frost a bit ago.  With the current band setting, there is a significant gap - so I need to either strip the top felt and adjust the bands or adjust the bands now with the top felt in place until it wears  out.  Thoughts?
Lawrenceville, GA

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Four words: Time for a Rutland. 

You will not look back. 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Four words: Time for a Rutland. 

No write-in ballots.  😛 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    IMHO . . . going nekid on my Lrg, I didn't get a good seal . . . noticed smoke escaping  :|
    New gasket is in route and I'm hoping that'll seal dome & base
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    IMHO . . . going nekid on my Lrg, I didn't get a good seal . . . noticed smoke escaping  :|
    New gasket is in route and I'm hoping that'll seal dome & base
    It should especially if you follow the enclosed directions! If you still have an issue then that means the planes of your dome and base are out of whack. Correcting that issue isn’t all that hard to do. You know how to reach me, Dan!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    I agree with @loco_engr I went without a gasket for a few years and it was hard to maintain low smoking temperatures even with a controller. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    I haven’t had a gasket for years.  Put the new bands on and can hold reasonably low temps just fine.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I should add that it is a bit breezy where I live.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Why don’t people out there plant more trees?  I’ve never understood that.  

/kidding 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Why don’t people out there plant more trees?  I’ve never understood that.  

/kidding 
    Basically all we have left for trees are fence rows which are remnants of the days of crop rotation and livestock.  Well every winter farmers tear them out, pile them up and burn them I guess they want the whole state to be one big field.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The last couple times I have replaced gaskets I have only replaced the top gasket on the dome.
    Gives enough seal that I can easily hold low and slow and gives some impact cushion.
    No drippings to worry about on lower gasket and it’s easy to loosen just the upper band and remove dome for easy gasket change if needed.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I replaced the gasket with a gasket from Ron and bought the new bands for my large and am very happy with both.  No more overbite and the gasket is far superior to the BGE felt gaskets.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited April 2021
    Options
    The original reason (stated in the old user manual literature) for the felt gasket was actually just to keep the ceramic rims from slamming together.

People obviously found it made the egg air tight, which allowed superior control for smoking. 

So no. You don’t *need* it. 

But I have used another forum member’s BGE which had no gasket. They don’t complain about control either. 

But I did find that my habit of just filling the egg to the top with charcoal meant my charcoal was all burned the next day when I opened it again. 

I got so irritated with the felt that I put my rutland on (with their factory cement). One of the early adopters. Might have even been among the first to decide on it at the same time independently. 

The rutland cement is designed for non-absorbing surfaces (steel stoves). It fails when used on ceramic. 

I tore it off and adhered the same gasket (which still had the rutland cement in it) with permatex. Pretty sure it is the first egg with it. And it is still stuck firm. 

You could also use nomex or a ceramic braided gasket (like rutland, only ceramic fiber not glass)

no one has approved it for use around food. 

I used it on the bottom rim only (i.e. the gasket is never above the food as it would be on the upper dome), and it is greasy and soot filled now. Don’t imagine there’s friable fibers floating around
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    Rutland.  Cheap, easy, superior.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    My lower OME felt came off completely from a frost a bit ago.  With the current band setting, there is a significant gap - so I need to either strip the top felt and adjust the bands or adjust the bands now with the top felt in place until it wears  out.  Thoughts?
    i also recommend a rutland on the bottom for all those reasons above.  if a beer-swilling neighbor drops the lid a little too fast, i feel better with the padding of the rutland gasket there.  

i recently did the gasket on an egg that was in the process of lighting up.  that was dumb, don't do that. oh and permatex stains clothes orange.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    Has anyone tried a Rutland on the top instead of the bottom? Seems like it would solve the spillage problem, but I don't know if it would be as secure.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    The original reason (stated in the old user manual literature) for the felt gasket was actually just to keep the ceramic rims from slamming together.

People obviously found it made the egg air tight, which allowed superior control for smoking. 

So no. You don’t *need* it. 

But I have used another forum member’s BGE which had no gasket. They don’t complain about control either. 

But I did find that my habit of just filling the egg to the top with charcoal meant my charcoal was all burned the next day when I opened it again. 

I got so irritated with the felt that I put my rutland on (with their factory cement). One of the early adopters. Might have even been among the first to decide on it at the same time independently. 

The rutland cement is designed for non-absorbing surfaces (steel stoves). It fails when used on ceramic. 

I tore it off and adhered the same gasket (which still had the rutland cement in it) with permatex. Pretty sure it is the first egg with it. And it is still stuck firm. 

You could also use nomex or a ceramic braided gasket (like rutland, only ceramic fiber not glass)

no one has approved it for use around food. 

I used it on the bottom rim only (i.e. the gasket is never above the food as it would be on the upper dome), and it is greasy and soot filled now. Don’t imagine there’s friable fibers floating around

Did you invent permatex too or just pick it up at western auto?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I put it on the top @OhioEgger for the simple reason that the last time I glued a rutland onto the base it cracked a week later.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Here is my pat explanation when asked:

There are several reasons that I suggest that the Rutland gasket only be applied to the base and NEVER to the dome.

First is a matter of ease since gravity will make it easy to position the gasket into the adhesive, whereas without removing the dome from the band it would be difficult to apply to the dome.

Secondly, if you do remove the dome many people have trouble repositioning it back into the band and then messing with the tightening and adjustments necessary.

Thirdly, if the gasket were to start to fail then being on the bottom there is far better chance that you will notice the deterioration every time you raised your dome – whereas if it were applied to the underside of the dome, you would not be so apt to notice the problem until it had gotten much worst and most likely beyond salvage.

And lastly, one last reason the gasket goes on the bottom edge is that it protects the egg from tools and other things that invariably hit the edge with a resounding clunk!

But, in the end - it’s YOUR gasket so apply it any way you want to!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.