Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL; questions for current owners.

Options
I've had a large BGE for approximately 8 years so am familiar with the BGE. Wife just got me an XL for my birthday. 

She bought a plate setter - I was going to return for a CGS rig and would like any thoughts/opinions. I have some CGS stuff for my large and prefer it to the plate setter.

I have an expanded metal fire grate (similar to high-que or fishbones) on my large. Does the XL benefit from something similar?

Any other recommended XL accessories? Already have nest and mates. 

Thanks.
Austin, TX

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I have an XL with platesetter. I have 3 pieces of fire brick that I use to bring the grid up to the felt line, my most used accessory. I have a half stone bought from a kiln equipment supplier to give split direct / indirect heat, but don't use it much.

It will do 200 F up to winding the thermometer round past zero with the standard grid - there's a big gap under the grid for air flow, so hard to clog up with ash.

Double level cooking would be cool, there's a lot of space in the dome, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have an XL, call CGS and tell them what you need they will set you up. Return the plate setter, I never use mine since I hooked up with CGS. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg, and wonderful spouse.  Here are my XL accessories, ranked in order of usefulness to me:

- The adjustable rig/woo from CGS, and a few pizza stones.  I like using the half stones, creating an indirect zone using the woo.
    - Kick Ash Basket
    - Joetisserie, I have used it twice, works fine, I just dont ever use it.
    - Platesetter, it would be last on my list, but I have used it before.  Not my favorite accessory, especially for the XL.  Its too big.
    - Wok from CGS, I have not used it yet, but it has been in the shed for two years waiting for that moment when I might.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I just added an XL, but I went with the 5 piece Eggspander and half moon stones.  I have outfitted both my small and large with CGS gear, so you can’t go wrong that way.

I don’t think there is a better accessory than the kick ash basket and can.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I've been very pleased with the stock platesetter and Eggspander. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
     add a woo ring for more room for smoking with adjustable rack. Plus raised direct grilling. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Return the plate setter.
    Kind of a toss up between Adj Rig and Woo. But I definitely use my Woo on my XL more than anything. I really like being able to use the entire 24” cooking grid raised to felt level. But the multi level cooking on the Rig are fantastic.
    The Plate Setter is limited as only slightly raised indirect furniture.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I don't have an XL, but I wouldn't own an egg without a Kick Ash Basket.  I have one in my MiniMax and my Large.  I would think the larger the egg, the more useful they would be for cleaning out and removing lump.

Enjoy it! 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    I have a platesetter for my XL and it does have its place BUT I also have the CGS woo/ar combo. It’s great. I would return the PS and grab the CGS gear
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Those that have the CGS woo. Do you not feel like you're losing too much usable space around the perimeter because of the round stone and 360 air gap? I have both the CGS round stone and the BGE platesetter and I much prefer the platesetter - I don't have has much meat getting scorched over the air gaps. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I did a 20 lb brisket the other day and I had to remove the CGS rig and use the plate setter to fit the huge drip pan under it.  If I didn't have the plate setter I'd have to Mcgyver something.
    Options
    @SonVolt and @nolaegghead both touched on my point by the PS having it’s place. If I’m doing large low and slows and need the extra coverage the PS is the way to go. For regular indirect cooks, I prefer the woo/ar. Plus the woo allows you to place a grate closer to the fire for those searing applications 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    My Woo rarely leaves my XL egg. I use a stone and a deep dish pizza pan raised up on 3 copper Ts for indirect cooks. I also us a kick ash basket and can (makes clean out a breeze).

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone
    Austin, TX
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    My Woo rarely leaves my XL egg. I use a stone and a deep dish pizza pan raised up on 3 copper Ts for indirect cooks. I also us a kick ash basket and can (makes clean out a breeze).
    I recently starting using a deep dish pizza pan in my large as a drip pan.  It works very well.  Great for low and slows.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Those that have the CGS woo. Do you not feel like you're losing too much usable space around the perimeter because of the round stone and 360 air gap? I have both the CGS round stone and the BGE platesetter and I much prefer the platesetter - I don't have has much meat getting scorched over the air gaps. 
    I guess it depends on the size of your round stone and what temps you are trying to maintain.
    I have a few different size stones. For XL, Large, Small and Mini Eggs. Slightly smaller stones for higher temp, indirect cooks. Slightly larger for low and slow. But I really like the the even, 360 degree heat and flow. So much easier to handle and store pizza stones. Scorched edges has not been an issue. But I do miss running my probe wires in line with Plate Setter leg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Eggpharmer I leave the woo in my XL all the time. I have the CGS half stones that are much easier to handle (especially hot). I use the CGS stainless steel drip pan elevated on copper tee’s.  I use the adjustable rig from my large to sit on top of the woo and factory grate allowing me to cook 6 racks of ribs flat. If I am doing a brisket or pork butts a full size disposable foil pan fits easily between the factory grate and the stones.  I am really happy with this setup. 
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
    Options
    My best and most used addition to the XL (aside from the ash removal tool) is a rib rack that flipped over is also a roast rack, from Broil King. I use that for lots of cooks, even turkey where it lifts the bird up off the roasting pan.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I recently starting using a deep dish pizza pan in my large as a drip pan.  It works very well.  Great for low and slows.  

If you have a restaurant supply store nearby, you can pick up one for less than $10. I have mine for about 5 years and it is just starting to get "seasoned". I typically cover it in foil, makes clean up easy.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    Great service from CGS like always. Ordered yesterday, arrived today. Five letter delivery company not so much @lousubcap
    Austin, TX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    @Eggpharmer I leave the woo in my XL all the time. I have the CGS half stones that are much easier to handle (especially hot). I use the CGS stainless steel drip pan elevated on copper tee’s.  I use the adjustable rig from my large to sit on top of the woo and factory grate allowing me to cook 6 racks of ribs flat. If I am doing a brisket or pork butts a full size disposable foil pan fits easily between the factory grate and the stones.  I am really happy with this setup. 
    Any chance you have a pic of this setup?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Great service from CGS like always. Ordered yesterday, arrived today. Five letter delivery company not so much @lousubcap
    Almost seems wrong to get it dirty. Lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @loco_engr Here is a picture of the large adjustable rig on the woo in my XL. I move it back and forth from the Large to the XL when I need more real estate. 

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I did a 20 lb brisket the other day and I had to remove the CGS rig and use the plate setter to fit the huge drip pan under it.  If I didn't have the plate setter I'd have to Mcgyver something.
    Agree, I have and use both in different scenarios

Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    Options
    I have kick ash baskets in xl and Joe jr.  Xl for ease of use and sits on the original grate. Joe jr the grate needed to come out for air flow.  Jr is similar to minimax and small.

I personally have my woo in the xl almost always. Large circle drip pan from cgs for low and slow.
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
  • Photo Egg
    Options

You don’t need to practice COVID social distancing with your food. All that would fit on 1 level.
    Sorry, it’s Friday.
    And add some seasoning to those ABTs. Love ABTs on the Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas