Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 butts on the XL!

Pork butts were are on sale. Smoked up some for my friends. Worked out awesome as always. XL for the win. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Way to utilize the space!
    Awesome
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @Photo Egg the only thing you have to keep in mind when you're putting that much on ay one time is the cold shock it gives the egg. You have to give it an hour to hour and a half before it stabilizes back up to original temp. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Photo Egg
    texaswig said:
    @Photo Egg the only thing you have to keep in mind when you're putting that much on ay one time is the cold shock it gives the egg. You have to give it an hour to hour and a half before it stabilizes back up to original temp. 
    I filled mine up a couple years ago. I also trimmed the fat caps pretty tight so I would not have to worry about over flowing my drip pan. I’m sure you had some happy neighbors!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I got 6 standing on their edges on my XL last year before I visited CGS. The temperature shock was epic when i put them on. 
  • texaswig
    I told everybody that they would be ready on Friday for whoever wanted one at $25 each. There was tons of people wanting them. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    WOW . . . 8 you say, eh . . . pretty impressive
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good, Scott.  What was the sale price per pound and what's normal?
    @loco_engr yep. Regular is 2 to 2. 50 a pound these were a 99 cents a pound. Same place is sold Frozen ones for $0.49 a pound. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    So ambitious!  Congrats on the cook!
  • Impressive.  Issues with dealing with the drip pan or excess drippings?  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • texaswig
    @4TheGrillOfIt I have a drip pan but got in a hurry and didn't even put it in there. After I pulled the meat off I opened the vents. it got up to four hundred. Just let it burn the rest of charcoal. Hopefully that helped burn a lot of it out. I haven't even opened it yet see how bad it is. There was a lot of Grease dripping down from the top vent onto the Dome. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Photo Egg
    texaswig said:
    @4TheGrillOfIt I have a drip pan but got in a hurry and didn't even put it in there. After I pulled the meat off I opened the vents. it got up to four hundred. Just let it burn the rest of charcoal. Hopefully that helped burn a lot of it out. I haven't even opened it yet see how bad it is. There was a lot of Grease dripping down from the top vent onto the Dome. 
    Honey Badger Don’t Care!
    Nice
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    This is reason enough to get the XL over the L. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt said:
    This is reason enough to get the XL over the L. 
    Or reason enough to add an XL, which I just did.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That’s giving the XL a workout! Nice. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.