Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL vs Large egg

need advice on whether or not to buy an XL.  Was going to buy a large but salesman is advising an XL. Thoughts?   

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    How many people do you regularly cook for? 

Do you entertain a lot?

Will the BGE be your only grill?

What types and numbers of meats do you plan to cook on it on a regular basis? (IOW how many racks of ribs at a time, how many butts, how many steaks? etc etc)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • There are two of us. Sometimes entertain. Five grown kids with families of their own.
    I have a medium BGE, a a charcoal Weber and a Weber gasser. Do not entertain a lot. 
  • I have 2 Larges and an XL.  I started out with an XL and after a few years I added a Large and found I used the Large exclusively unless we are entertaining.  I added a second large and use them both at the same time to cook things at different temps.  I generally only use the XL now for briskets and pork butts.  My vote would be for a Large and CGS adjustable rig.  If you find you need more real estate I would add a second large.  Not a whole lot more money and much more flexible.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • RRP
    There are two of us. Sometimes entertain. Five grown kids with families of their own.
    I have a medium BGE, a a charcoal Weber and a Weber gasser. Do not entertain a lot. 
    Just curious what questions did that salesperson ask you and what were your answers (since they don't jive with this reply) which led him or her to advise you to go XL? 
    Personally I think you were getting hustled!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    RRP said:
    There are two of us. Sometimes entertain. Five grown kids with families of their own.
    Just curious what questions did that salesperson ask you and what were your answers (since they don't jive with this reply) which led him or her to advise you to go XL? 
    I was kind've curious as to how many XLs, and Ls, they had in stock at the time (their profit margin on each would be great to know, but don't hold your breath for that info).   ;)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I got my large at a local Egg Fest after having a long talk with a BGE factory guy. I’m an empty nester that doesn’t entertain much. Just my bride and I most of the time. After  five years I’m pleased with my choice of Large versus XL most of the time. If I had it all to do again though, I’d get the XL. I run out of space occasionally. I’d rather have the space and not need it than need it and not have it. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You already have a good range of cookers. What are you lacking now that makes you want another BGE?
    Your needs should answer your own question. No one else can answer questions about your cooking wants or needs. But rational question would be how much can you buy a Large vs XL in your area?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I miss my XL at times but I sold it as I didn't use it very often. I found I used my Large 95% of the time or some other smaller egg. The XL was too big to fire up just for the wife and I for basic cooks. I do miss the XL for bigger cooks but not not enough to justify keeping it around. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    XL. Nothing to regret except maybe the added MSRP. I got a CGS set up for my XL just so I could put even more on it at the same time. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    A large and a medium can cover a lot of cooking. I’ve had both though not at the same time. 
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    LOL I see the flagging LOSER has found me again! Cheer up weenie! Your miserable life MAY get better, but then with your outlook you will probably die soon and nobody will give a sh*t...including your parents!
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 259
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    LOL I see the flagging LOSER has found me again! Cheer up weenie! Your miserable life MAY get better, but then with your outlook you will probably die soon and nobody will give a sh*t...including your parents!
    Oh great! Ron’s wishing death upon people AGAIN! You better watch it old man; someone may be saying the same about you. 
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    I had the same dilemma as you when I was looking into getting an Egg, and I went with the XL. I’m glad I did.  I’ve never once found myself wishing that I had less space to Egg with.
  • RRP
    HogFather said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Oh great! Ron’s wishing death upon people AGAIN! You better watch it old man; someone may be saying the same about you. 
    LOL...222 posts and you know anything about me? much less REVEALING anything for the basis for your post? Looks like you have multiple identities! What else you want to say, LOSER? 
  • I appreciate the discussion and advice shared above. Thanks for the help!
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Enjoy whatever you get @wilkmeister. I started large and eventually went XL. Love both. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    If you already have a medium then I would go with the XL. For quick cooks for two people the medium could be your go to and use the XL for larger cooks. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I bought the XL and never looked back. There are just the two of us with occasional (pre Covid) parties of four to six. But I like having the real estate.

If I am going to fire up the Egg, I will load it up and have left-overs of anything I cook. I can do lots of food without crowding or hanging over the edge of the platesetter. I am happy to cook enough protein for a week at a time, or to put some away in the freezer. 

I thought about getting a medium or even a small for quick cooks, but we very rarely eat hot dogs or hamburgers. If I want something like that, it will go on the gas grill.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    for two a tiny mini works for me. with the large i can feed pulled pork to a crowd of 60.  setup takes more thought with the large and big cooks than an xl.  you dont have a blackstone griddle so i would add that to a large and an adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store and probably skip the platesetter for a large.  get a wok and spider as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    need advice on whether or not to buy an XL.  Was going to buy a large but salesman is advising an XL. Thoughts?   
    I struggled with this decision 8 years ago. I went with the XL and have never looked back. It is just two of us but being able to cook a few slabs of ribs without having to split them or use a rib rack was my main reason for the XL. When we do entertain the extra space comes in handy. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    edited March 2021
    I also started out with a medium (still have it) and then got an XL. This covers my needs very well.  With a large brisket on the XL there is room for veggies like potatoes and squash. Unless you go with a tiered cooking setup all that probably wouldn't fit on a large without being crammed in
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    I had a large with the MM combo and always regretted not purchasing the XL because I do a lot of entertaining. Was able to purchase the XL and find the combo with the MM is perfect for me. 
    O-Town, FL

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    You can cook smaller meals on the XL, you can't cook larger meals on the Large.  I'm all about having the options. The only issue with the XL is you're burning more charcoal each meal. If you can get over that ... I'd get the XL.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • I went through the L vs XL decision ten years ago.  The sales guy pointed out the XL has a shorter grid to dome height compared to the Large.  Since I occasionally smoke a turkey I went with the Large and haven't regretted it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662

I went through the L vs XL decision ten years ago.  The sales guy pointed out the XL has a shorter grid to dome height compared to the Large.  Since I occasionally smoke a turkey I went with the Large and haven't regretted it.

the domes were shorter/flatter with the early xl eggs. i think it may be better for pizza compared with the taller rounder domes they have today.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it