Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's Prime Rib

Options
marcdc
marcdc Posts: 126
had some family over this weekend and got the cousins all together. went to Costco and bought a prime rib roast... actually thought it was bone in but realized after I got home that it was boneless. honestly didn't care, sometimes boneless is easier to deal with. reverse seared it, 250-275ish for about 3 hours (I cut it in half, so this was about 8lbs, maybe a touch less) then ripped it's face off at 700 for about 1min each side, top open. also made some mashed potatoes, homemade green bean casserole, an oxtail au jus, and a horsey sauce.

resting after 3 hours on the egg at 250ish. pulled at internal temp of around 113-114

oxtail au jus with homemade chicken stock and veggies, tiny amount of cornstarch slurry

green bean casserole with fried shallots, onions, and some of the homemade chicken stock and oxtail jus

horsey sauce with sour cream, mayo, ACV, chives, scallions, salt and pepper, and the oxtail au jus

the sear

the money shot

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Yeah! Beautiful cook my man!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Great spread 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Very nice!  Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    That’ll do!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I miss the days we could have visitors, nice cook!

Options
    Nailed that cook.  Impressive finish.  Congrats.  Great sear pic as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Love oxtail.  Well done.
    NOLA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Looks great. One shortcut I've succumbed to over the years is I quit trying to recreate the flavor of Au Jus served in restaurants, that dark salty umami blast in the little cup next to your steak.  Now I just buy what they do - Minor's - and doctor it up w/the drippings.  I tried Kenji's Ox Tail recipe (among others) and they all ended up tasting more like pot roast gravy than the au jus I was familiar with.  Also works great as a surface treatment for brisket, tenderloin, tri-tip and other cuts of beef ala John Lewis and Adam Perry Lang.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Looks great. One shortcut I've succumbed to over the years is I quit trying to recreate the flavor of Au Jus served in restaurants, that dark salty umami blast in the little cup next to your steak.  Now I just buy what they do - Minor's - and doctor it up w/the drippings.  I tried Kenji's Ox Tail recipe (among others) and they all ended up tasting more like pot roast gravy than the au jus I was familiar with.  Also works great as a surface treatment for brisket, tenderloin, tri-tip and other cuts of beef ala John Lewis and Adam Perry Lang.

oh nice, I've always made my own but to your point it's a process. searing off oxtails, using homemade chicken stock for the liquid, veggies, deglazing the seared oxtails with red wine, etc. takes like 4 hours just to make the au jus, reduce it, add a little cornstarch slurry, etc. doctoring this would be a heck of a lot easier