Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Porta

Options
Pizza on the BGE is great, but I often have trouble getting a good color on the pizza crust. I came across pizza porta (https://www.pizza-porta.com/) that looks like a great accessory for getting a good pizza color and makes the pizza more similar to a wood fire pizza oven. 

Has anyone used the pizza porta before? Experiences?

Or, any suggestions for a better cook on the pizza? 

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Or, just use the egg at 650° or so...

Spacers something like this (pizza stone on top of course)...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mustache_Vol
    Options

That looks great! I’ll try the spacers. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    try the Ooni for the same price.  it will take the same amount of storage space, and cook a pizza far better than an egg can.  I have done hundreds of pizzas on the egg, many of them were pretty good.  But the Ooni and Roccbox destroy it.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I am not sure I buy into the Pizza Porta theory.  Their website states:  "The stone gets hot enough for pizza, but the heat is exiting the chimney so rapidly that it does not get the dome hot enough to cook the top of the pizza. The pizza stone burns the bottom of the pizza before the dome can cook the top."

If you let the egg get up to temp and stabilize - as you should do for all cooks - the ceramics are at full temp.  Check out my recent post regarding Canadian Bacon and Mushroom pizza and you will find a perfectly cooked pizza with a crust that is far from burnt. 

Here's a shot from that cook that I did not post.  Nice firm crust and cheese that is cooked to the point of being browned.  Temp was about 630 at the dome.

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Iamsan
    Iamsan Posts: 12
    Options

Hi Carolina Q, Wow..that pizza looks perfectly cooked.  How many inches high is your spacer in the picture?  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Iamsan said:
    Hi Carolina Q, Wow..that pizza looks perfectly cooked.  How many inches high is your spacer in the picture?  
    Thanks. About 4".

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    I think the Pizza Porta makes very little sense at the price point it's at.  As others have pointed out, you're better off with a dedicated pizza oven like some of the portable ones, especially if you want to cook at 900F or so.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Have eaten several pizza-porta pies but don’t own one yet. They are great. What perplexes me is how so many charcoal proponents don’t see the advantage of the egg / charcoal fueled approach vs a gas fueled option.  In a charcoal vs gasser debate I am picking charcoal.  Made in Georgia.  

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Have eaten several pizza-porta pies but don’t own one yet. They are great. What perplexes me is how so many charcoal proponents don’t see the advantage of the egg / charcoal fueled approach vs a gas fueled option.  In a charcoal vs gasser debate I am picking charcoal.  Made in Georgia.  

There is no advantage. The physics just aren't doing the BGE any favors. My crummy old oven in my kitchen can make a better pizza than the BGE, pizza-porta or not.  I hope that clears up why so many charcoal proponents don't see the advantage of an egg over a dedicated pizza oven.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Well I have made great pizzas on my egg where the smokiness was evident and have also had great pizzas from a kitchen oven with steel plate. You may have one of those big boy pizza ovens which are obviously the A++ option.  I really enjoyed a frozen motor city pizza double pepperoni this week. Maybe I am an ordinary guy— not knocking any approach just sticking up for what I know is a good product for certain utility.  The blog post mentions they made 150 pizzas in three hours or something. So the front door is an advantage in that scenario — even if only for preservation of arm hair and eyelashes. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    Have eaten several pizza-porta pies but don’t own one yet. They hare great. What perplexes me is how so many charcoal proponents don’t see the advantage of the egg / charcoal fueled approach vs a gas fueled option.  In a charcoal vs gasser debate I am picking charcoal.  Made in Georgia.  

For me the issue is the type of pizzas I want to make - the Neapolitan style, meant to be cooked at 900F.  Even the pizza porta people will tell you their rig isn’t great for that, because you just go through tons of lump and the pies cook so quickly they don’t pick up any smoke anyway.  The Porta guys tend to cook around 700F.

Propane within a dedicated portable pizza oven is miles more efficient at getting to those temps, and it costs less money.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    One problem never encountered . Egg and good stone always worked fine. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• glenholmes
    Options
    Cooking two pizzas at a time on the BGE with the Eggspander. Works great for the first to sets of pizzas but could not maintain the high temps due to opening and closing the egg so many times. Temp dropped from 650 to 400 and I couldn't get it back. Cooked two more sets but they took too long! Any suggestions??