Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pizza Night - Ooni and Detroit Style

Wanted to do a pizza night last night. Made a bunch of dough using my favorite Neapolitan style recipe. Also wanted to try something different inspired by all the Detroit style pizza posts lately. 

Ooni pies were chicken Alfredo, sausage, pepperoni, and a barbecue chicken. 

Comments

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Good looking pies!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,089
    Ohh yeah those look good, your pushing me to make a Detroit pie ..
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,059
    Nice!  That all looks great.

Did you do the Detroit style in the Ooni as well?  I did mine last night in the oven, and I think they just bake up better in it.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159

Did you do the Detroit style in the Ooni as well?  I did mine last night in the oven, and I think they just bake up better in it.   
    No I just did the Detroit pies in a regular oven on a stone. I don’t trust temperature control in the Ooni yet. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    DainW said:

No I just did the Detroit pies in a regular oven on a stone. I don’t trust temperature control in the Ooni yet. 
    Cool.  What did you use for a time and temp in your oven?
  • DainW
    Oven temp was 500. I let the stone preheat in the oven for an hour before putting the pizza in. Pizza took about 16 minutes. Made two pies, the second turned out better than the first. The first was still good but definitely want to take it easy on the sauce bc irs spreads out. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    DainW said:
    Oven temp was 500. I let the stone preheat in the oven for an hour before putting the pizza in. Pizza took about 16 minutes. Made two pies, the second turned out better than the first. The first was still good but definitely want to take it easy on the sauce bc irs spreads out. 
    I've been looking at a couple of different recipes for these, and the one that's in the Pizza Bible is interesting for a couple of reasons.  First, he bakes the crust by itself for about five minutes before adding any toppings.  Then, he only puts the sauce (warmed up) on at the end, after it comes out of the oven.  I might try both of those next time to see how it changes things. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @JohnInCarolina
    I used the King Arthur dough recipe and did not partial bake the dough. But I have seen recipes and videos of folks doing it. 
    Also I put the sauce on after cooking. From what I read that is the traditional Detroit Racing Stripe method. However I’m sure it doesn’t really matter when you put it on as far as taste is concerned. I could see it affecting final appearance. 
    The main thing is everyone is making Detroit style pizza 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    DainW said:
    Detroit style pizza

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DainW
    For what it’s worth, here is the recipe I used. I like the idea of adding the sauce at the end. I can tell you this, that sauce was molten lava coming out of the 500 degree oven. 

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,788
    WOW on the Detroit style pepperoni lovers!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • JohnInCarolina
    DainW said:
    For what it’s worth, here is the recipe I used. I like the idea of adding the sauce at the end. I can tell you this, that sauce was molten lava coming out of the 500 degree oven. 

I’ve watched more than a few videos on Detroit style pizza now, and what’s interesting is how close they all are.  Not a whole lot of difference.
  • SGH
    I’ve watched more than a few videos on Detroit style pizza now, and what’s interesting is how close they all are.  Not a whole lot of difference.
    Agree. They are fairly similar. Usually the only difference is the type of cheese and/or toppings. Also it’s a 50/50 split on saucing before or after it’s cooked. Minor differences to say the least. 
    The only big difference I have seen is the ones who partially cook the dough first. I’m not good enough at making pizza to even take a guess as to why they do it. With that said, the only thing that makes sense to me is they are using some kind specialty dough. I’m really happy with the King Arthur dough so I will keep going with it until one of the Pizza Gods shares a better one 👍

Status- Standing by.

• Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 284
    DainW said:
    So you baked the Detroit style directly on the stone?
  • JohnInCarolina
    SGH said:
    @JohnInCarolina
    I used the King Arthur dough recipe and did not partial bake the dough. But I have seen recipes and videos of folks doing it. 
    Also I put the sauce on after cooking. From what I read that is the traditional Detroit Racing Stripe method. However I’m sure it doesn’t really matter when you put it on as far as taste is concerned. I could see it affecting final appearance. 
    The main thing is everyone is making Detroit style pizza 👍
    When did you make one?  I don’t think I saw any pics so I’m not sure it happened there, buddy.  ;)
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,345
    Dang!!! All of those look really good, and the top layer of pepperonis aren’t burnt too much! Nice job.
    LBGE
    AL
  • SGH
    When did you make one?  I don’t think I saw any pics so I’m not sure it happened there, buddy.  ;)
    Like most things I have always said on the forum I am just making it up  =)

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    SGH said:
    Like most things I have always said on the forum I am just making it up  =)
    I was starting to think maybe the Detroit pizza was all hat, no cattle for you.
  • SGH
    Detroit style is to me what rectum is to the world. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    SGH said:

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Wolfpack said:
    Made one for the kids- pepperoni under the cheese. They really seemed to like the crust and want me to make it again. Struggled to get the dough to spread to the edges of the pan (even though I left if out of the fridge for an hour first. 
    Good lookin' pie! I always leave the dough ball out of the fridge for two hours, sometimes more. Give that a try.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    SGH said:

Lunch?
    NOLA
  • DainW
    Wolfpack said:
    Made one for the kids- pepperoni under the cheese. They really seemed to like the crust and want me to make it again. Struggled to get the dough to spread to the edges of the pan (even though I left if out of the fridge for an hour first. 
    That looks good man. As far as the dough recipes go, what recipe are you using? I haven’t seen any recipe for Detroit style dough yet that calls for a refrigeration period of cold ferment. Most of the recipes I’ve seen bulk ferment at room temp for a couple hours and then you let them rest in the pan for another hour or so before stretch. Still was kind of hard to make dough stick in the corner but it was manageable. 

My experience to this point, even with normal Neapolitan style pizza dough, is that cold dough is really hard to work with and will tend to spring back. If I do refrigerate say some leftover dough balls, I will give them at least 3-4 hours to come back up to room temp before trying to stretch them again. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    DainW said:
    Wolfpack said:
    That looks good man. As far as the dough recipes go, what recipe are you using? I haven’t seen any recipe for Detroit style dough yet that calls for a refrigeration period of cold ferment. Most of the recipes I’ve seen bulk ferment at room temp for a couple hours and then you let them rest in the pan for another hour or so before stretch. Still was kind of hard to make dough stick in the corner but it was manageable. 

My experience to this point, even with normal Neapolitan style pizza dough, is that cold dough is really hard to work with and will tend to spring back. If I do refrigerate say some leftover dough balls, I will give them at least 3-4 hours to come back up to room temp before trying to stretch them again. 

Seems to me that regular pizza dough works pretty well.  It's the amount of oil in the pan that really makes the difference.  I also add a couple of tablespoons of oil to the dough (which I don't usually do).  I've seen a lot of Detroit recipes call for sugar, but I don't like sugar in my dough, so I omit it.
    NOLA
  • DainW
    The recipe I used for my Detroit style pizza was a different dough recipe than my standard dough recipe for what it’s worth. My normal dough uses tipo 00 flour and an overnight prefermentation. 

The Detroit dough recipe I used called for bread flour and instant yeast. I didn’t have instant yeast, so I did a conversion for active dry yeast and added some sugar simply to give the active yeast some food since the recipe only proofs for like 3-4 hours. I don’t think my standard dough recipe would hold up to the heavy cheese and sauce that goes on a Detroit pie. Essentially you’re baking a loaf of bread and frying it in the pan at the same time. 
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,059
    Wow, those are some great looking pies.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • SGH
    Brother that looks incredible 👍

Status- Standing by.

• DainW
    Looks great man!