Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide Cooler Container Hack Question

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
edited March 2021 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to move away from using my sous vide with a stockpot. I picked up a couple Coleman stackable coolers to use as my new container. Here is my issue, my sous vide controller clip isn't removable. So it forces me to clip my sous vide to the side of the cooler. Ideally I'd keep it an inch or two away from the wall of the cooler but I don't have any other option with a fixed clip. Do I need to worry about about the sous vide being pressed up against the plastic wall of the cooler? I don't think it's any different than clipping the sous vide to a real plastic sous vide container but I've always clipped it to a metal stockpot prior. 

Here is what I have. The sous vide is pressed up against the inside plastic cooler wall. Not ideal but I can't get any further away with the clip. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I'm sure it will be fine, great hack, I use a cooler as well works like a champ 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I think you are probably fine.   The melting point of polyethylene is 110C.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I use my joule the same way......don't worry about it.  The heating element is inside, it's not gonna touch the wall.  And it's not like the water is going to get near or ever above 212F anyway.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Pop the pins out and take the clip off.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Pop the pins out and take the clip off.
    I think I'd have an issue trying to get the clip back together if I were need to use it for a bigger cut of meat on the stockpot. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm currently testing it out to see how the water circulates when the sous vide is stuck in a corner of the cooler. It appears to circulate the water throughout the cooler. This would be the best scenario as it's out of the way. I haven't seen too much of a difference in circulating water when I place the sous vide in the middle portion of the cooler wall. 

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    My first sous vide unit was the original Nomiku which I used in a 20qt Rubbermaid cooler. It was clipped and hung in one corner and it ran fine. Never seemed to have a problem with circulation.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Cut a hole for the sous vide further in and cut a clearance hole for the clip.  Then set the sous vide in and clip it on the bridge between the main body hole, and the clip hole.

Although, I would use it as is.  My Joule and Anova work fine clipped on the side.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I ended up going with the rear left corner. I figure this way will give me the most room for food placement. I tossed in a couple beef round eye roasts. They'll go 18+ hours. That should give me sometime to find out if something goes wrong...

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Cook twice as fast.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I use the same cooler. My sous vide doesn't have a clip, but you'll be fine. Tally ho!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I ended up going with the rear left corner. I figure this way will give me the most room for food placement. I tossed in a couple beef round eye roasts. They'll go 18+ hours. That should give me sometime to find out if something goes wrong...

Oh look at Mr. Fancy with that nice round hole.

I didn't have a hole saw of an appropriate size so I just took a hacksaw and cut off a couple inches of a corner of the lid.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Cook twice as fast.

Genius!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Cook twice as fast.

Genius!
    Smarter than the average bear!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Cook twice as fast.

I heard a team of nine women can produce a baby in one month🤣
    canuckland