Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Deep pan

Options
Put my favorite pan to good use again today by trying some deep pan (dish) pizza.

Pre cooked the dough a bit before adding the topping, added marble cheese around the edge to burn (I like this, my wife not as much but will tolerate it)

It cooked very well, cheese burnt around the edges nicely 

Some photos came out blurry and had to delete, too excited to eat I guess.   Did get a few more though.

Thanks
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Nice. Is this something you enjoy regularly, or is this a riff on all of the Detroit pizza action we’ve been seeing as of late?
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Make pizza regularly but been a few years since doing it in a pan.  Wanted to make a different pizza, since I made some regular ones last week.   Had the pan out and remembered how well it came out so that was it.

Will be doing this again, but not always.  Stuffed crust is the favourite around here and that did not work out too well for this deep dish - Dough did not fully cook around it.

Those Recent Detroit threads outdo this one,  maybe they did put the idea in my head. That is why I stay away from ‘what should I buy threads’  :)
    Dave
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    That looks fantastic.  What is missing?  I will tell you what is missing.  A description of the pan.  The history.  Why is it meaningful to you?  Is it a Gris?  Wags?  Details. Please.

Ever since the focker moved on to greener pastures, there hasn't been enough CI talk.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    That looks fantastic.  What is missing?  I will tell you what is missing.  A description of the pan.  The history.  Why is it meaningful to you?  Is it a Gris?  Wags?  Details. Please.

Ever since the focker moved on to greener pastures, there hasn't been enough CI talk.
    Here you go.  Cornbread.

• EggNorth
    Options
    kl8ton said:

It’s special because 1) it was passed down to me, which I restored.  2)  it’s Canadian.

It is a ‘Smart’ as in James Smart Cast iron.   No longer in existence,  based on the markings my guess it is from 1940-50.  The cooking surface is very smooth, unlike what I have been seeing in recent years.

My weakness is Cast Iron.
    Dave
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Options
    Looks incredible 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I'd definitely hit that!  Nice crispy edges :open_mouth:
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That pizza looks wonderful!
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    edited February 2021
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Put my favorite pan to good use again today by trying some deep pan (dish) pizza.

It looks wonderful. I like that you gave it the Detroit twist with the burnt edges 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Normal pizza dough?  Or, do you use something different to make it work in a deeper pan.

Egg setup?  Looks like you were running raised indirect.

Times, temps, other suggestions?

Sorry, but I love CI, too and I would love to try that.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • EggNorth
    Options
    @Langner91 Yes, normal all purpose flour.  Costco sells organic flour which is very nice, it comes out just as nice as ‘OO’ and works well with everything.  Recipe is from the Pizza Bible, which is basic with a starter.  Just starter, yeast, water, flour, oil and salt and Diastatic malt (I do not find this makes much difference, but since I have it, I use it)

Indirect setup at felt level.  Cooked the dough a little bit first. Then added the ingredients,  all around 500 F.

I also buttered the pan with no salt butter and a little oil to prevent the butter from burning ( I guess that works)

Took a while to finish, maybe 20 min.  I could have left it on longer as I prefer the top well done, but was afraid the bottom would burn.   I usually finish on broil in the oven, if I think about it.

Thanks
    Dave