Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- New Toy

I’ve been making bacon and summer sausages for several years now. I’d estimate that I’ve made somewhere around 60-70 lbs of bacon and I am tired of hand slicing. With that said, I got myself a 1/2 hp 12” slicer. It’s good to have family in the restaurant business. When they upgrade, so do I!

South Central Kansas
Instagram: @midwest_voyager

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Congratulations. That’s a great score 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks very similar to @caliking slicer. Nice!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • @SGH @Photo Egg I can't wait to put it to use. I've got some wild pig backstrap that I'm going to cure into some canadian bacon and a slab of brisket I have vac packed after I brined it into corned beef. I'll be smoking that up and making some wonderful sammies soon. 
    South Central Kansas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    @SGH @Photo Egg I can't wait to put it to use. I've got some wild pig backstrap that I'm going to cure into some canadian bacon and a slab of brisket I have vac packed after I brined it into corned beef. I'll be smoking that up and making some wonderful sammies soon. 
    Sounds Awesome Buddy!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    nice toy butt juice.  I am always asking around for a used one but no such luck yet.  enjoy it butt juice.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • @NDG I was holding out for a hobart for years....In the end, all I really wanted was a commercial model with atleast a 12" blade. This one retails for around $900 and I picked it up for $350, knowing it had recently been gone through and had about $150 in new parts. 

Waltons Inc makes one that has the same motor and blade specs for $375, That would be a good option at a very reasonable price, FYI if that fits your budget. 

South Central Kansas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @NDG I was holding out for a hobart for years....In the end, all I really wanted was a commercial model with atleast a 12" blade. This one retails for around $900 and I picked it up for $350, knowing it had recently been gone through and had about $150 in new parts. 

Waltons Inc makes one that has the same motor and blade specs for $375, That would be a good option at a very reasonable price, FYI if that fits your budget. 

great tip - thanks B-juice
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Nice score! BTW I just read an article saying there is a glut of used restaurant equipment on the market due to the vast number of restaurant closings. We have a large store locally that specializes in such, but so far no commercial slicers have shown up there. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited February 2021
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Sooooo jealous!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I bought the 10” version new and love it.  (First time I will ever say I did not need another 2”. )

One of the first things I suggest you do is go get as square of a chunk of a bottom round roast you can find. 3-4 lbs is good. Season the outside like crazy (I like using DP red eye express) then cook low and slow with pecan to target temp - 7F (for carryover). Pull, put on cookie cooling rack for 20-30 mins, then uncovered in the fridge for an hour or two, then plastic wrap around the pan overnight to chill all the way through. Slice paper thin the next day and have the best roast beef.  Enjoy! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.