Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket

Options
Cooked my first brisket last night, and she turned out pretty solid. Salt, pepper, and 10 hours in the egg at 225. I put her in at midnight and went to sleep, and this morning at 9 she was already at 195 degrees, so I guess I slept thru the stall, so I didn't wrap it in paper or foil at any point. To me it came out great, but was wondering if anyone has any advice to make it even better next time. Thanks!

!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Mattybrew - I would take that every time.  I assure you 99% of us and me for sure did not get that outcome on the first go round.  Way to deliver.  
    My advice, just keep cooking 'em.  PM sent with additional info.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Great first go. I’m sure @lousubcap’s PM will put you in even better stead for next time. Aside from that, general rule of thumb is to slice your brisket about the width of a pencil. I’m guessing it will seem a little more tender that way relative to the thickness featured in your photos. 
  • Mattybrew
    Mattybrew Posts: 12
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I appreciate that, Lou! And GrateEgg, you are 100% right, I forgot about slicing it thin, I just just wanted to get in there and take it down!  think it had more to do with where I got the meat (Snake River Farm). Expensive, but man was it good!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    That is a ballsy move to come right out of the gate with SRF.  Way to get right on it!  At least you didn't go with a true Japanese A5 wagyu so there's that  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattybrew
    Options
    Lou, I used my wife's credit card.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Mattybrew said:
     =)  =)=)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I also go with SRF. That looks smaller than mine. What size egg and how big a brisket?
    Mountain View, CA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Wow, nice cook! Congrats.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    1st love the egg handle.  Good job on the cook.  My 1st one I got no sleep.  Thin slice it wouod be my only suggestion.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • joshpounds90
    Options
    Hell of an outcome right there. Congrats! I’m ready to do another brisket myself for sure.
    Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Nice meteorite!  Post more cooks!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Brisket from a NYR fan? And turning out great? Geez, next thing you know will be a Raiders/Athletics daily double in the championships. The world has gone mad.

Beautiful cook, and thank you for sharing. Top notch.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Mattybrew said:
    The is a pro move.....awesome looking brisket. Slice it however you desire, keep cooking em! 
  • Mattybrew
    Mattybrew Posts: 12
    Options
    I knew I would take some heat for the Rangers handle, man are they bad. The thick slice was for a buddy to go, the rest was sliced thinner for sure. Dmourati, I have the Large BGE, and the brisket was 11.5 pounds. I didn't really trim that much fat off it, so it probably went in at 10.5 - 11 pounds. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Very nice cook

Johns Creek, Georgia