Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF skirt steak for fajitas - marinade or dry rub?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Dads B-DAY is sunday and he requested fajitas - so pulled a SRF skirt steak from the freezer, trying to plan a meal now.   I want to add mex flavors, but I still want the quality / beef flavor to shine . . would you marinade or use a dry rub?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I usually marinate fajita steak in a combination of pineapple juice, red wine, salt, pepper and garlic (and maybe some hot sauce and/or chili flakes).  I bet if you did that for about 4 hours, and then dried it and rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and chilis and let that dry for a few hours, you would have a very good result.
    NOLA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Mole from Dizzy Pig if you have a local supplier. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I use a paste of minced chipotle en adobo, garlic, lime juice, and salt, just for a couple hours, but that may be a bit strong if you want the SRF goodness to be the star of the show.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Now I want fajitas.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Not trying to mess with the typical fajitas recipe, but why not marinade/dry rub the veggies and leave the steak untouched, save a dry brine, then cook it?  Full disclaimer-it has been quite a while since I have done fajitas (never with SRF).  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Whatever you do, dry it before grilling and go really really hot and fast.  You want the char to form quickly before overcooking the inside.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Allegro original is good 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I’m with Cap on this one. I would just SPOG the steak and let your veggies/sides do the mex flavors. I understand imparting those flavors in the protein but I would use a lesser grade if I was going with a marinade. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• I usually marinate skirt steaks for fajitas, but in this instance, I would let SRF stand on it's own and just use S&P and cook it hot and fast. 

I can recommend these for the tortillas:
    https://www.tortillaland.com/
    I buy them at my Walmart.

Have fun with your cook! Your dad should love it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • NDG
    Thanks everyone - I’m making a wet paste / marinade for peppers/onions and going straight S&P for skirt to let quality shine as @saluki2007 @lousubcap suggested.  Some pico, queso fresco, and making a lime crema.  Should get enough mex flavors that way.  

Also, @Florida Grillin Girl I found the tortillas you suggested - going to give it a go !!  I wanted to make my own but I only have a tiny window to cook so unrealistic this time.  Thanks for suggestion!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    dmourati said:
    @dmourati I like the look of that sauce - my cut is outside skirt and I wasn’t sure what that meant until I read your thread - thanks !
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Ok @dmourati WOW I made the sauce - was out near mex market and got the dried chili’s . . Change of plans this is going on the meat !!
    Columbus, OH

• Can't wait to see pics of the finished dish, it should be epic! Let me know how you like the tortillas.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    NDG said:
    Ok @dmourati WOW I made the sauce - was out near mex market and got the dried chili’s . . Change of plans this is going on the meat !!
    Yes!

Another convert.

I make this at least every other weekend.

Bonus: carne asada nachos on Monday for lunch.
    Mountain View, CA
  • NDG
    Ok, easily one of the best things I have ever ate. All agreed.  Thanks for help.
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Oh yea tortillas good too - terrible pic but appreciate the recommendations 
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    edited March 2022
    I have decided SKIRT STEAK is my favorite steak.  You can keep your ribeyes, fillet, strips, tri-tips - I’ll eat skirt.

Not exact duplicate of this recipe previously posted but close, 24 hr or so marinade.  On cast iron grate, dome temp 500 with long pre-heat, cook under 4 mins a side, but i rotated ever 2 mins.  Easy cook.

no taco pics but just good tortillas, white onion, cilantro & some hot sauce.  Ohhh also some good feta (whatever it’s what we like).  Also Rice / Bean side.

Columbus, OH

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    Nailed that.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle