Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Superbowl Chilli

Options
Alright before I post this, just want to give a shout out to @JohnnyTarheel and @NDG who have both provided most/all of the info I'm using here. 

Starting my own post to log this cook, getting ready for what will be an amazing Superbowl weekend!! (GO Buchs!!!)

First my wife will prepare the sauce part of the chilli according to her traditional methods (sans meat). Here is an alternate method we may try for a future cook (accolades to original poster) ... https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163323/award-winning-smoked-brisket-chili-served-at-salado-after-party-2014/p1

Will prepare the meatball (approx 2 lbs of beef to be used, seasoned well with a rib I have yet to choose).

Once chilli sauce is ready, will transfer into a pot and place on the plate setter. Grid will be placed on top of pot, and meatball on grid, so drippings are caught by pot.

Will cook at 275F dome until internal of meatball reaches 150F.

Expect overall cook time of 4h.

Pictures to be posted on Saturday.  
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    The over the top chili is always a crowd pleaser, I am sure yours will turn out great! Depending on the size of your DO you might have to trim the recipe down to fit everything, just a heads up (I only have a 5qt). Also, if you need to shave some time, you can make it into smaller meatballs. I did 3 meatballs the last time with a mix of beef, sausage, and duck. 

I might suggest having some tostitos scoops on hand since it's a game day dish. It will turn out good either way.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Ok, we are underway. Cooking the chili sauce now. Double batch because we have 2 lbs of regular mince beef. Each batch contains 1 28 FL Oz can of diced tomatoes, one 19 Oz can of red kidney beans (drained), and one 35g pouch Club House Chili Seasoning (taking the easy way out).

The 2 lbs of mince was mixed with 3 slightly heaped tablespoons of Kosmos Cow Cover Dry Rub, then rolled into a ball, and coated with another table spoon or so of the rub, to completely cover the meat.

Sauce was cooked indoors on the stove, low heat simmer, for around 30 minutes. Now going into the bbq.

Here's some pictures, will post more later on when it's done.

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Ok, all done. Took 1 h 45 min for that 2 lb meatball to hit 150F internal, cooking indirect at 275F dome. Had some spare Applewood pellets, so used that to smoke.

Wow, that meat tastes awesome. Just crumbled it in and letting the meat infuse into the sauce. Will be ready in 15 to 20 min.

In total it would be a 3h cook from start to finish.

One take away, 2 lbs of meat turned out a bit much for the sauce, probably added 1.5 lbs at most to the sauce we ended up with. So if anything I'd go with 3 cans of dice tomatoes, 3 cans kidney beans, and 3 packs chili seasoning per 2 lbs of meat.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I think Chili is one of my favorite cooks and certainly one of my favorite bowls of goodness. Job well done, thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky