Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Pastrami Coming Right Up!!!

Options
I make pastrami every couple of months.  I always use a corned beef and SV @147 for 30-36 hrs then smoke on the KBQ for a few hours at the end. I decided I wanted to make a product with more moisture so I lowered the SV temp @135 for 43 hrs.  Result was a moist, perfectly smoked chewy product so I dropped it back in the tank last night for another 5 hours.  I put it in an ice bath last night and placed it in the fridge.  Have to work today so I will report results tonight.  I have lots of SV experience and I was really surprised by the outcome. Every cow is different.  

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Nice @Money_Hillbilly ....still on my bucket list is @The Cen-Tex Smoker Holy Grail Pastrami 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Smoke first and finish sous-vide maybe?

I almost always cook my corned beef/pastrami in the Instant Pot and get perfect results.

@paqman I have tried multiple methods including smoke then pressure cooker or steaming.  SV has produced the best product so far. I just wanted to experiment with creating a juicer product.  I will get it dialed in. 
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    paqman said:

I almost always cook my corned beef/pastrami in the Instant Pot and get perfect results.
    Recipe? I have a 5 or 6 lb point that needs to be put to good use. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    paqman said:

He started with a corned slab of meat, but I'm sure he has corned before too. Look up Michael Ruhlman's recipe.

Options
    paqman said:

He started with a corned slab of meat, but I'm sure he has corned before too. Look up Michael Ruhlman's recipe.

I don’t bother brining it myself anymore but I have a fully detailed post which I believe was based on the Ruhlman recipe.  I now use corned beef from across the border, it literally keeps for months in the fridge.  That being said, I am out now and with no sign of the border reopening 🤷‍♂️

Options
    @GrateEggspectations check this thread, it has two methods https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2542785#Comment_2542785

@Canugghead posted about a dry brine and I posted my method with a wet brine (the brine is the Ruhlman brine).

The 5 additional hours in the SV @135 made it perfect.  Success!!!
    Southeast Louisiana
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've done it both ways, but I prefer to do the wet corning because it's easier.
    The 5 additional hours in the SV @135 made it perfect.  Success!!!
    Sorry - I’m slow. So SV, then smoke?  Then do you steam or serve right after you smoke ?  Any FTC if you serve?  Thanks 
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Daddyshack SV then rub and smoke.  I usually pull at 140 internal after the smoke.  No need to rest. The SV tenderizes prior to the smoke so no need to steam.  I normally SV 146 for 30-36 hrs depending on size.  This time I was experimenting at 135, went for 43 hrs and it wasn’t tender so I resealed after the smoke and went another 5 hrs and it came out perfect.
    Southeast Louisiana
  • Daddyshack
    Options
    Thank you. Looking forward to trying it.