Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcuterie Supplies

Options
Finally got around to ordering a sausage stuffer, and meat mixer (already have a grinder).

‘Where is everyone ordering your casings, etc from? I assume there has to be someone cheaper than LEM?
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,187
    Options
    Did you try your local butcher? Mine carries everything. Its not out in the case, just have to ask, and the prices are very reasonable 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I’m definitely still a rookie but I’ve learned the quality of the casings matters. I made sausage with the casing from the local grocer and quality casings from The Sausage Maker. Quality wins hands down for me. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,682
    Options
    poster said:
    Did you try your local butcher? Mine carries everything. Its not out in the case, just have to ask, and the prices are very reasonable 
    same here

edited January 2021
    Options
    Here is another good one. I haven’t ordered from them in quite some time but they use to be top notch. Might still be worth a look. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’m definitely still a rookie but I’ve learned the quality of the casings matters. I made sausage with the casing from the local grocer and quality casings from The Sausage Maker. Quality wins hands down for me. 
    I second "The Sausage Maker".  I was just looking at their catalog (snail-mail).

Options
    The Sausage Maker , great service ....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Going all in, huh? You are going to have a blast. 

It depends what I need and how much as to who I order from. I have had great service from these three (in no particular order):

1) The Sausage Maker
    2) Butcher and packer https://www.butcher-packer.com/
    3) Craft Butchers pantry.  https://butcherspantry.com/
    The last one is a bit more expensive, but they have some stuff that I have not seen carried by others. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I get mine here as they are local for me.  Just outside Metlife Stadium if your down this way.   https://www.globecasing.com/
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,912
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Overlooking the obvious, but worth mentioning ...fresh healthy pork.....Salt, good salt, non idodozed. preferably sea salt, even Morton's kosher has anti caking agents ...start with those two things , the rest is easy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've always just bought my casings from Academy. I'm sure Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's probably carry them as well. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• butt_juice
    butt_juice Posts: 129
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I get everything for this from Waltons. https://www.waltonsinc.com/
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,276
    Options
    Thanks for the tips all, I ordered a catalog from The Sausage Maker and will go from there.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Ka-ching! 
    To the forum: We did it again boys! 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,912
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Thanks for the tips all, I ordered a catalog from The Sausage Maker and will go from there.
    @CTMike , you will see a ton of sizes in casings...What I use

Fresh and Smoked Sausage 38-42 MM Hog Casings ( they have bigger and smaller, this is a sweet spot for me ) 

Snack Sticks- 20-22 MM Sheep Casing 
    Salami - 60-65 MM Beef Middles
    Whole Muscle 102-114 MM Beef Bung 

Collagen Sheets are easy and good for whole muscle as well

Stuffing Tube Cleaner Set is nice to have 
    Sausage Pricker is helpful

and on and on and on 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Yep, "and on and on and on" - lol.
    (I love it)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Flying Money GIFs  Tenor