Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Biryani

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited January 2021 in EggHead Forum
Indian food is swmbo's forte here  :)

Saffron and marinated chicken

Parbaked chicken

Sofrito with potato

Layered with parcooked basmati rice

Drizzled with saffron water and ghee before the 1/2 hour bake in covered Dutch oven

Done

Chicken and potato removed, added cilantro and mixed thoroughly. Ate some with hard boiled egg and packaging the rest for pickup/delivery.
Good eat but lot of work.

canuckland

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    This looks amazing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Gary... I have to clean my screen now. That looks delicious!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    WOW!  Great cook
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    😳

Options
    Thanks guys. Actually considering the number of future meals we get out of this, the time spent was worth it. Love my chamber sealer, I don't think twice about sealing anything since bags cost pennies.

canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Oh my.  Is the Canadian border still closed to visitors from America?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Wow!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    You're sealing that up so you can freeze it and send it to me - correct?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks guys. Actually considering the number of future meals we get out of this, the time spent was worth it. Love my chamber sealer, I don't think twice about sealing anything since bags cost pennies.

Really well done, friend. 

I’ve never seen eggs in Indian. Is this traditional? If so, what dish?
  • paqman
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations Eggs are fairly common and biryani almost always has eggs.  I lived in India for a couple of months a few years ago.  It was in the south, Chennai (Madras) so maybe that’s a regional thing?  A plate like this was costing me 25 rupees (less than a dollar) and it was awesome.

Options
    @canugghead - how do the potatoes do after freezing, then reheating to eat? Potatoes freeze kinda weirdly, but those have been more wet items. 

One of my sisters makes a mean "mutton" biryani. I have her make several kilos of it whenever she visits, and freeze it for later too :) 

• caliking
    Options
    paqman said:
    @GrateEggspectations Eggs are fairly common and biryani almost always has eggs.  I lived in India for a couple of months a few years ago.  It was in the south, Chennai (Madras) so maybe that’s a regional thing?  A plate like this was costing me 25 rupees (less than a dollar) and it was awesome.
    Yep, its a regional thing. Kolkata biryani typically has eggs and potatoes. Like pizza elsewhere, biryani can be quite different in different parts of India. And obviously, each region claims their's is the best version!

Also, egg curry (dimer dalna in Bangla) is a pretty standard Bengali dish. Most Indian restaurants outside India tend to be North or South Indian (esp Tamil Nadu - think dosa, etc.), so egg curry is not commonly found on the menu at most places.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    paqman said:
    Yep, its a regional thing. Kolkata biryani typically has eggs and potatoes. Like pizza elsewhere, biryani can be quite different in different parts of India. And obviously, each region claims their's is the best version!

So... you're saying that Kolkata is kind of like the Kansas City of India?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Oh my.  Is the Canadian border still closed to visitors from America?
    Thanks, border crossing at Roxham Rd NY is always open  ;)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @paqman @caliking thanks for chiming in.

@GrateEggspectations yes eggs are common in India, it's also vegetarian friendly for many. 

Two of my favourite street foods...

1) Mughlai Paratha 
    https://youtu.be/NdE_OLICeyo

2) Omelette mixed in tin can with fresh onion and chili, fried over coal fire. Almost charred because vendors are stingy on oil!

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking Great question, swmbo is reluctant to freeze potato too, IIRC this is the first time, we'll find out. 

Ummm, I'm  drooling just hearing mutton biryani.

Actually here's a question for future: After sealing, will it be safe if I keep it in the coldest zone in the fridge for a week, without freezing?
    canuckland
  • paqman
    Options
    I don’t think that vacuum sealing extends shelf life (unless cooking sous vide).  1 week sounds OK to me.

Options
    paqman said:
    I don’t think that vacuum sealing extends shelf life (unless cooking sous vide).  1 week sounds OK to me.
    Not sure if I can totally agree with you, since one of the advertised benefits of vacuum sealing is longer shelf life of perishable food.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking Great question, swmbo is reluctant to freeze potato too, IIRC this is the first time, we'll find out. 

Ummm, I'm  drooling just hearing mutton biryani.

Actually here's a question for future: After sealing, will it be safe if I keep it in the coldest zone in the fridge for a week, without freezing?
    It'll be fine. Even without vac sealing.  Indian food seems to be do well in that regard. 

• caliking
    edited January 2021
    Options
    paqman said:
    It does for some foods. Many foods spoil because of cooties thriving in an aerobic environment. So, vac sealing mitigates that process, to a degree. 

But, yes, the biryani should be fine for a week or so, even without vac sealing. We usually cook a lot on the weekends, and chow through it all during the week. Dry items (rice, veg, etc. ) last longer than stuff with more water content (dal, curries). We try to finish our cooked food within a week, or freeze the excess to eat later. 

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Canugghead, I'm very seldom on the forum anymore, but needed to check out something about chuck roasts and came across your biryani cook.  It looks Just like what I had in India! You've got me drooling.  

In answer to question about vac locking, I don't think that is at all necessary.  You ought to just ship the extras down to the US. :)  Problem solved.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks guys for the reassurance, I know better now. 

@caliking with just the two of us oldies, and biryani yielded by 8 cups of basmati, we probably can't finish it in two weeks!

@eenie meenie what a pleasant surprise to see your rare post, I feel honoured! Actually last Christmas we were toying with the idea of learning to make panettone; I told my wife about the amazing panettone you made years ago. No, we didn't dare to get into another rabbit hole.

canuckland