Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inauguration dinner: Momofuku 48 hour short ribs

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
A riff off the recipe in Dave Chang’s cookbook.  Starts with the marinade:

Cook the vegetables down and strain, put about a cup in the vacuum sealed bag with a few ribs.  I don’t always double bag, but when I’m SV-ing for 48 hours, well...

They’re in there for 48 hrs at 60C.  You take them out and save the juice for like a gravy. Strain the juice and reduce at a low simmer.  The ribs come out of the bags, then you remove the bone and slice them in half to get them ready for... FRYING!

Fry in grape seed oil at 365F for 3-4 minutes.  I think that’s actually a bit too long as these turned out darker than I wanted so just watch the color and mind the clock.  

Plated over a small pool of sauce, wasabi mashed potatoes, with a drizzle of homemade Korean bbq sauce:

Not a BGE cook but you could probably do these on an Egg if you really wanted to.  Or not.  Maybe just buy a sous vide and learn something new.  Thanks for looking!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Wow those look good.
    NOLA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Wow, just wow.

Was going to ask a smart ass question to see if frying was still allowed under the Paris Agreement, but then realized it was funnier in my head. 

Nice cook, I have enjoyed watching some of David’s Netflix shows- need to give this one a try. 

Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ..you mean there are other types of food other than teriyaki boneless, skinless chicken breasts, teriyaki beef kabobs and half inch steaks? 

--probably doc eggerton or someone.

Was going to ask a smart ass question to see if frying was still allowed under the Paris Agreement, but then realized it was funnier in my head. 

Nice cook, I have enjoyed watching some of David’s Netflix shows- need to give this one a try. 

Ugly Delicious is a great show.  He’s a cool dude.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    damn.  that looks ridiculously good.  cheers!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    That is bringing it home.  Looks great however you got there.  Congrats on the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2021
    Dude! That is my kind of meal. Great work.
    I really like Chang. 
    Thank you for sharing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Food looks great. I'm a big fan of Chang, but man the New Orleans episode was hard to watch. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Looks great!! Nicely done!!

Brandon - Ohio

• SonVolt said:
    Food looks great. I'm a big fan of Chang, but man the New Orleans episode was hard to watch. 
    How so?  I don't think I've seen that one.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Great plate of edibles you got there and looks like it was worth the effort. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2021
    I may have misinterpreted it, but something about the New Orleans episode felt like legitimate punching down. I don't want to spoil it for you, but I kind of felt bad for some of the restaurant owners.  Maybe New Orleans cuisine is outdated and there's better methods to cook seafood, I don't know, but putting these old chefs on blast to their face made for awkward television. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt said:
    I may have misinterpreted it, but something about the New Orleans episode felt like legitimate punching down. I don't want to spoil it for you, but I kind of felt bad for some of the restaurant owners.  Maybe New Orleans cuisine is outdated and there's better methods to cook seafood, I don't know, but putting these old chefs on blast to their face made for awkward television. 
    Hmm.  That doesn’t sound like Chang.  I’ll have to check it out.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Looks just great, thanks for sharing the cook.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Those look most excellent. Tender with the added crispness from frying sounds like a winner.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    Those look most excellent. Tender with the added crispness from frying sounds like a winner.
    Yeah it's interesting Gary how you get that mix with this approach.  The frying step adds quite a bit I think.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've clicked on this thread several times. It's that droolworthy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks freaking amazing!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • LOR. DEE. Looks incredible!  I love David Chang, and recently bought this Momofoku cookbook.  This might have to be our first cook out of it!! Thanks for sharing the inspiration!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • LOR. DEE. Looks incredible!  I love David Chang, and recently bought this Momofoku cookbook.  This might have to be our first cook out of it!! Thanks for sharing the inspiration!
    It’s a good amount of advance planning but definitely worth trying.  Enjoy!
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Wow that looks amazing. 
  • That is one great looking inauguration plate. 

There was a lot of loose talk here in The 302 of honoring 46 by getting take out from one of his faves, The Charcoal Pit.  See it here:  https://charcoalpit.net/.  Fortunately, we decided to save The Pit for another auspicious occasion.  [Although their black and white malted got us through many a rough month (week/day) over 2 pregnancies (28 years of marital bliss) and, the harmonious mixing of those colors and flavors would have been a nice compliment to some of the themes I hope will be ascendant during this presidency and beyond.]  [But NO POLITICS!!]

Anyway, as someone new to sous vide and a huge Dave Chang fan, I'm loving this cook.  That said, while I'm pretty sure I can get short ribs in here using a one-time exemption to the prevailing 2021 Healthy Eating Rules presently in effect, I'm absolutely certain I'd get flagged for finishing them by frying.  I bet they'd be pretty good with a nice CI sear, right? 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • That is one great looking inauguration plate. 

There was a lot of loose talk here in The 302 of honoring 46 by getting take out from one of his faves, The Charcoal Pit.  See it here:  https://charcoalpit.net/.  Fortunately, we decided to save The Pit for another auspicious occasion.  [Although their black and white malted got us through many a rough month (week/day) over 2 pregnancies (28 years of marital bliss) and, the harmonious mixing of those colors and flavors would have been a nice compliment to some of the themes I hope will be ascendant during this presidency and beyond.]  [But NO POLITICS!!]

Anyway, as someone new to sous vide and a huge Dave Chang fan, I'm loving this cook.  That said, while I'm pretty sure I can get short ribs in here using a one-time exemption to the prevailing 2021 Healthy Eating Rules presently in effect, I'm absolutely certain I'd get flagged for finishing them by frying.  I bet they'd be pretty good with a nice CI sear, right? 
    Likely nearly as good with the CI sear.  

But I would also encourage you to get a little oil going in a pot and just try a single piece fried.  I mean, anything is OK in moderation, right?  ;)
  • LOVE the play on a Momo. Looks good. 
    Large BGE 2017,  a Genesis Webber gasser, and dreaming of a MiniMax 

Central Ohio and PTC, Ga