Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you don’t like what you see on TV...

Just go out and do something good!
Donate Blood!

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    love it!  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Currently liking what I'm seeing on TV but I'm liking you donating blood just as much - good man!
  • Loving what's on the tube today.  And am scheduled to donate next Tuesday.  Double Red!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Yikes, get a glove on that squeeze ball!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2021
    Kayak said:
    The sars-cov-2 virus doesn't infect you through the skin on your hands.

Wife is a nurse, and I was gloving up whenever I went into a store or public place.  She told me I'm 1) wasting gloves and 2) not being safer.

When you have gloves on you touch everything.  Glove spreads virus just like a hand.  You feel safer is the only difference.  if you feel safer, you might be less likely to pay attention to what you're touching.

At that point where you would take off the glove, just wash your hands.

If you touch your face, rub your eyes or pick your nose with a glove or without, it doesn't make a difference.  Don't.

Thank you, Sheldon. I've donated for 20+ years, every eight weeks. Whenever they give me a squeeze ball, they bag IT. This has been practice since long before covid. Who knows what cooties the last person had, and what might come out of their finger stick hole.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    If they don't put covers on them, I would hope they are either sterilized or disposed.  I suppose you're right, would be worth asking.  No one wants the cooties. 
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I am sorry to say that that last time I donated was March 7, 2020 -just before the covid shutdown.  To that time I was a pretty regular every 8 week one pint oil change since moving here in late 1998.  Do have 100 donations logged with the the local Red Cross blood bank and need to get back at it.  Yes, many before landing here but that comes with being old  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    lousubcap said:
    I am sorry to say that that last time I donated was March 7, 2020 -just before the covid shutdown.  To that time I was a pretty regular every 8 week one pint oil change since moving here in late 1998.  Do have 100 donations logged with the the local Red Cross blood bank and need to get back at it.  Yes, many before landing here but that comes with being old  B)

Seems to me they should gift you a bottle of Blanton's after the 100th donation (street price around $30,000 of blood).
    Kayak said:

If you touch your face, rub your eyes or pick your nose with a glove or without, it doesn't make a difference.  

People wear gloves to pick their noise? I've been doing it wrong.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    At the start of the pandemic in the UK back in March I recall seeing a guy on the London Underground wearing surgical gloves but eating a croissant. Even licked his gloved hands and then proceeded to use the hand rails when he got up 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Kayak said:
    Thank you, Sheldon. I've donated for 20+ years, every eight weeks. Whenever they give me a squeeze ball, they bag IT. This has been practice since long before covid. Who knows what cooties the last person had, and what might come out of their finger stick hole.
    This is a 1 time squeeze toy. You take it home with you.
    Always been that way any place I have ever donated in Texas.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    nolaegghead said:
    Wife is a nurse, and I was gloving up whenever I went into a store or public place.  She told me I'm 1) wasting gloves and 2) not being safer. 

When you have gloves on you touch everything.  Glove spreads virus just like a hand.  You feel safer is the only difference.  if you feel safer, you might be less likely to pay attention to what you're touching.

At that point where you would take off the glove, just wash your hands.

If you touch your face, rub your eyes or pick your nose with a glove or without, it doesn't make a difference.  Don't.

Yup:

This wasn't the exact pic I was looking for, but it gives you the idea.  
    And, don't type "covid nurse exhausted" into Googlez Imagez; it's too depressing... 

I got my count up to 49 blood donations, but after my 2nd DVT/PE my doc put me on blood thinners for life, no more donations.  So never got the t-shirt.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    it used to be my blood was flammable.  Not any more, but I'm on gabapentin, so no go until I'm off that in April.
    Good on you, Darian!

My roomie in college donated blood regularly. We'd hit the bars afterwards. To get drunk for cheap, while he was low on the red stuff. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    caliking said:
    Good on you, Darian!

My roomie in college donated blood regularly. We'd hit the bars afterwards. To get drunk for cheap, while he was low on the red stuff. 
    We used to do that in the Navy in San Diego back in 1980-1981. Back then there were for profit blood banks that would pay $20 for a donation. If one was between (meager back then) paydays, one might donate and take the $20 to the nearest bar for a cheap drunk.

Also Red Cross sponsored blood drives would come around the base, and one could get let loose for the rest of the day if one donated - was coined “vampire liberty.”
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited January 2021
    it used to be my blood was flammable.  Not any more, but I'm on gabapentin, so no go until I'm off that in April.
    Why would gabapentin deny you from donating? I’m on it short term for nerve pain following the knee replacement, but I don’t see that particular med on Red Cross’s deferral list:
    https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/manage-my-donations/rapidpass/medication-deferral-list.html

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    CTMike said:
    Why would gabapentin da you from donating? I’m on it short term for nerve pain following the knee replacement, but I don’t see that particular med on Red Cross’s deferral list:
    https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/manage-my-donations/rapidpass/medication-deferral-list.html

Hell, I just assumed it.  I'll go to the next drive
    edited January 2021
    CTMike said:
    Why would gabapentin da you from donating? I’m on it short term for nerve pain following the knee replacement, but I don’t see that particular med on Red Cross’s deferral list:

Hell, I just assumed it.  I'll go to the next drive
    Good on you Carey, I little guilt can go a long way. This time pucker up both arms and lay there for two hours (whole blood goes out one arm, the processed stuff comes back the other arm, albeit much colder. Bring your favorite blankie, ask them for a heated blanket, and you’ll still be cold. So man up, dial up your favorite Netflix show, and stick it out for a couple hours. 😎 And don’t forget to empty your bladder twice before sitting in the chair. Oh, and take the Tums when they are offered - plateletpheresis tends to mess up your blood chemistry (makes you calcium deficient I think) and the Tums correct the imbalance.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    And they give you free juice and snacks...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    CTMike said:
    Also Red Cross sponsored blood drives would come around the base, and one could get let loose for the rest of the day if one donated - was coined “vampire liberty.”
    We got 4 hours Sick Leave for the same, which made HAFB's numbers look very good.  The donation site was quite crowded on Friday mornings.  
    With a new, inexperienced boss, I sent her an email the next Monday morning:
    ME:  Hey, put me down for 4.0 hours SL, I donated blood on Friday.
    HER:  WHAT?!?!  I DID NOT APPROVE THAT!
    ME:  You don't have to; and I do this every two months.
    HER:  YOU COULD'VE JUST LEFT FOR AN EARLY WEEKEND!!  
    ME:  But I didn't, Blood donation slip is attached.  And why would I ask for Leave, after the fact, if I was trying to hide something?

Two weeks later, I was summoned to her office, and there were two Security Guards in the room.  She gave me a Letter of Reprimand, and demanded I sign it.  I refused.  
    She was eventually moved to Nellis AFB, and my career, stopped.  
    Maybe 10% of the reason I took an early retirement.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• This is so awesome!  Great thread, Photo Egg.  

I can’t express my gratitude enough to good people who donate blood and plasma.  I am doing well now as I type this, but over the last several years I’ve had a large number of transfusions.  I wouldn’t be here today without them.

Also, please signup for organ donation and make sure you add it to your living will.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    We could drink beer at the age of 18.   When we had a blood drive in high school some of us degenerates would give and go get a quart of bud.   It became a habit after that.  The giving not Budweiser  :)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• nolaegghead
    I turned 18 in Texas, could drink.  Maybe a week before I turned 19, they raised it to 19 so I couldn't drink for a week.  By the time it turned to 21 I was over 21. 
    This is so awesome!  Great thread, Photo Egg.  

I can’t express my gratitude enough to good people who donate blood and plasma.  I am doing well now as I type this, but over the last several years I’ve had a large number of transfusions.  I wouldn’t be here today without them.

Also, please signup for organ donation and make sure you add it to your living will.
    I signed up for organ donation many years ago. I’m still using them all and I’m thankful. But I’m not sure anyone would want them now, and their not getting any better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I used to and even had the blood mobiles come by the Toyota store. But went on Plavix years ago and my giving halted. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @lousubcap aren't antique blood and platelets worth more money? 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx