Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Have You Been All My Life - Birria Tacos Edition

I’m not sure how I made it this far in life, with extension travels throughout Mexico, and never managed to have birria tacos, but having discovered them, I had to try making them myself.  Wow....so so good.  I largely followed the Joshua Weissman recipe.  

This would be a good cook for a group of people, the meat could be done in advance and the tacos or tacoquesidillas could be done at the last minute.

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Beautiful. I’ve done them twice in the last 30 days. 

Once with beef and last weekend pork butt. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    You had me at taco...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • those look ridiculous - care to share recipe/tips?
    Lakeville, MN
  • dmchicago
    I don't want intrude on the OP but here's the recipe we followed.

Off the charts good!

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/birria-tacos
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    @teamunited33 here is a good source, I loosely followed this. Recipe
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Great effort and results right there

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    My TikTok Daughters said this was a craze so they had me make them maybe 6 weeks ago.  The meat and the broth are delicous but the art of dipping that tortilla back into the pot and then frying it- I was 1.5 for 8 on getting a nice looking holdable taco.

In the end I have some of the meat left and I have plans for that soon.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Thoughts on giving the meat a touch of smoke from the egg prior to braising?
    Lakeville, MN
  • dmchicago
    Thoughts on giving the meat a touch of smoke from the egg prior to braising?
    Totally unnecessary, IMHO. The Adobo is so flavorful and smokey from the dried chilies.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    xfire_ATX said:
    My TikTok Daughters said this was a craze so they had me make them maybe 6 weeks ago.  The meat and the broth are delicous but the art of dipping that tortilla back into the pot and then frying it- I was 1.5 for 8 on getting a nice looking holdable taco.

In the end I have some of the meat left and I have plans for that soon.
    No doubt the hardest part of this process is getting the corn tortillas just right for a hand-held taco.

Through trial and many errors, I learned to just lightly dip the tortilla to the surface of the sauce. Too much destroys the tortilla. 

Then, be patient with the tortilla in the pan. let it get firm before putting the meat on then fold over.

These are soooo good!

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    dmchicago said:
    No doubt the hardest part of this process is getting the corn tortillas just right for a hand-held taco.
    This is true for store bought tortillas. Homemade tortillas hold up much better.
    Don't get me wrong, I use store bought tortillas often. If you get the chef grade masa flour from Masienda it's a game-changer.
    https://masienda.com/shop/chef-grade-masa-flour-harina/
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    WOW!  totally new concept
    Thanks for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    I was actually surprised how well the tortillas held up. I was using store bought corn tortillas. No rips at all. I did use a pair of kitchen tongs with soft rubber coating, and made sure not to grab too close to the edges. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I’ve been making this kinda thing for years. I don’t dunk the tortilla in a broth but I use shredded beef and Oaxaca cheese to make a quesadilla taco type thing. I also like to make some crispy fried onions to put on the inside as well. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    just finished the sauce and meat from sundays tacos, makes for a great stew heated up with some cheese. these are really good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmchicago
    just finished the sauce and meat from sundays tacos, makes for a great stew heated up with some cheese. these are really good
    We did a pork butt version. Excellent but the beef was better.

However, the leftover pork made amazing enchiladas.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • fishlessman
    dmchicago said:
    We did a pork butt version. Excellent but the beef was better.

However, the leftover pork made amazing enchiladas.

what i found with the first cook is the shank will braise too tender but adding a cheap flat really adds to the texture. i think the recipe called for chuck but the ones i picked over didnt look too good, the brisket made for a nice clean pull. the store bought taco shells i bought were lousy, a corn and flour combo, they broke just removing them from the bag. directions said to just lay them on the grease over the sauce like you mentioned and not dip/soak them
    fukahwee maine

• The outcome was awesome! I forgot to chop up fresh onion and cilantro though, that would put it over the top.

Lakeville, MN
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited January 2021
    That is an awesome cook, @CPARKTX

+1 re homemade tortillas 

Also, I had my first one of these in Austin a few weeks ago at Sabor Tapatio, as recommended by the Texas Monthly taco editor (https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-austin-taco-trail/amp/).  It was really, really good, and worth a spot to benchmark where you are (akin to going to Franklins (or Micklethwaite’s or Valentina’s or La Barbecue) if you’re in Austin. 

Just an awesome cook. Nicely done!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I started a diet 11 days ago.  I’m down 6lbs already.  

I probably shouldn’t have clicked on this post.  Mexican food is my weakness anyway, but this put it over the top.  

These all look insanely delicious.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• fishlessman
    SaltySam said:

I probably shouldn’t have clicked on this post.  Mexican food is my weakness anyway, but this put it over the top.  

add the meat back into the sauce and its a low carb stew
    fukahwee maine

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    SaltySam said:

I have also lost a ton (4.5 stone) and have kept it off. Tacos are part of my plan (on corn), HOWEVER, these particular tacos are a departure from the path of righteousness, though a delicious one
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX