Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket Installation

XF15Loader
XF15Loader Posts: 22
edited April 2020 in Using the Egg
Finally got around to putting a Rutland Gasket on my egg!  Looks like it's going to work well but, man, did I make a mess with that Permatex.  Any suggestions on how to clean this up?

Thanks for any input.

-J

Comments

• gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    @RRP will give great advise on this issue but you don't need to worry, you should be able to peel the over residue off after it all dries. 
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    You may be able to gently trim the sealant with a razor. Being extra careful not to scratch the ceramic glaze. Any surplus sealant in the gasket can be trimmed flush to the gasket, but you won't be able to get it all. You can do as I did, rub some new unburned charcoal residue on the gasket to lessen the new appearance, it will also cover the sealant color to make it less noticeable. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Sharpie
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Sharpie
    That's a good idea. 
  • I think @alaskanassasin is on to something there...lol.  Thanks, man!
  • Lwoodie
    Lwoodie Posts: 7
    Glad you asked, also just did mine this week before the Deluge hit. I have a pretty old Egg and didn't need to do the 'bunching' much, maybe the older Eggs are narrower?  

Anyway, had the same issue with the Permatex, Sharpie, who'd a thunk it. Thx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2020
    Don't worry about it. It will darken in a short time and before you know it, it will become virtually invisible.

Mine first looked much like yours, but soon turned to this...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2020
    Way way too much permatex.

The glue is only there to tack the gasket into place.  You're not gluing the lid shut.  Remember, there's no glue between the top of the gasket and the dome, and that does just fine.

The other problem with using too much Permatex is that if you let it dry without the weight of the dome on it, then it can be uneven under the gasket and actually prevent the dome from sitting flat.......as it permeates the gasket and then dries hard (prevents it from doing it's job.) 

One thin bead is all you need.  If you see it through the gasket, you used too much!
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Don't worry about it. It will darken in a short time and before you know it, it will become virtually invisible.

That is an interesting handle. Looks like you have the grip mastered!

:s 
  • Carolina Q
    PigBeanUs said:

That is an interesting handle. Looks like you have the grip mastered!

:s 
    Years of practice, my friend. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Way way too much permatex.

The glue is only there to tack the gasket into place.  You're not gluing the lid shut.  Remember, there's no glue between the top of the gasket and the dome, and that does just fine.

The other problem with using too much Permatex is that if you let it dry without the weight of the dome on it, then it can be uneven under the gasket and actually prevent the dome from sitting flat.......as it permeates the gasket and then dries hard (prevents it from doing it's job.) 

One thin bead is all you need.  If you see it through the gasket, you used too much!
    My OCD couldn’t handle that.   :o 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

My OCD couldn’t handle that.   :o 
    Trust me, @4TheGrillOfIt switching to a Rutland gasket is NOT rocket science, even for people with 10 thumbs, but I guess my 6,649 reasons for saying that is unfounded!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PigBeanUs
    Mostly
    Skip the cardboard and
    just shut the lid on the rutland until it cures
  • RRP said:
    Trust me, @4TheGrillOfIt switching to a Rutland gasket is NOT rocket science, even for people with 10 thumbs, but I guess my 6,649 reasons for saying that is unfounded!  =)

I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • RRP
    dstearn said:
    Ron, is this video correct? https://youtu.be/Xe1fRJ6XLhQ
    First time I have seen that video and no that is not the way I have been recommending for 19 years now. He is merely laying the gasket into a small bead of Permatex. While I recommend what I call "bunching" it back into itself thus making it both wider and thicker. Also such a small bead will mean the gasket will move around causing it to deteriorate.
  • Carolina Q
    Way way too much permatex.

RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    First time I have seen that video and no that is not the way I have been recommending for 19 years now. He is merely laying the gasket into a small bead of Permatex. While I recommend what I call "bunching" it back into itself thus making it both wider and thicker. Also such a small bead will mean the gasket will move around causing it to deteriorate.
    You two need to talk. I did mine Ron's way, in 2009. Been fine ever since.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    Ron,

What is the best way to apply the Permatex? 
  • RRP
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    Ron,

What is the best way to apply the Permatex? 
    What I recommend:
    Starting at the back center, spread a couple beads of Permatex Ultra Copper neatly on the edge and then flatten them by buttering with a putty knife or similar tool. Try to end with a uniform thickness of about 3/16” thick.

• RRP
    RRP said:

OH GREAT!!! After you stole that gasket from me I sent you several emails and in my final one I said I hope you stick that gasket up your *ss! So since you corrected my count by 1 then that must mean you took my advice!!! OH, I AM SO HAPPY!!!

• Dmb3739
    Dmb3739 Posts: 62
    Lol. Well, I just bumped RRP's numbers by 4.  Ron was very helpful to me.  Not that I anticipate having to ever replace them again. How difficult is it to remove the Permatex should it ever need replacing?
  • RRP
    Dmb3739 said:
    Lol. Well, I just bumped RRP's numbers by 4.  Ron was very helpful to me.  Not that I anticipate having to ever replace them again. How difficult is it to remove the Permatex should it ever need replacing?
    Not difficult at all!
  • PigBeanUs
    Dmb3739 said:
    Approaching twenty years. Will let you know if it ever needs replacing