Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Rib Half

Options
2»

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    By the way, executive management (wife) is like, we have to thinly slice it ... she thinks this is going to be like ham ... I'm like, what the ... 

I assume this should be cut and served in like 1/2" to 3/4" thick pieces??
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    She's primed and ready to load...

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    She's on ... let's see how she goes!

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Ok 2.5h in at 275F indirect, and internal is around 110F to 120F. There's a thick fat layer I admit I probably should have trimmed down. 

Cranked up to 350F to 375F, which might just play into my hand, crimping the outside, while attempting to get to an internal of 140F in 3.5h. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Ok, so I cranked to 350 to 375F. Then decided in final 10 minutes to go direct. Ended up with a grease fire, that brunt the outside due to all the fat. 

Salvaged the situation, cut off the burnt parts and re seasoned, glazed. Hit 137F internal in 3h. 

Next time, I think I'll still to indirect only but push it up to 325F to 350F to get done indirect in 3h.

It turned out good though. Here's some pictures.

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Wow, well that worked. Was absolutely perfect. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Here's the kicker, it tastes better cut thin, rather than thick. I could taste more of the outer crust when it was thin. My wife was right. Lol.

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Looks great.  And I quit searing large roasts like this after a fat/grease fire about 8 years ago.  I do let the temp of the grill ride up over 300 toward the end of the cook to help with the crust. 

Great cook. And happy holidays. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX