Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

Options
I was at my BGE dealer last week and they brought in some lump from Mexico. I bought a bag. I've only had one cook and was impressed so far.
It is B & B charcoal. I found that the sizes of lump were a good mix and it burned very hot. pretty good stuff. Sorry, no pictures of the fire.

my two cents.

Large BGE, Weber Genesis CP310 and Weber Q1200 (camping)

There is no bad day if you're grilling !

Dave - Oshawa, ON

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Never seen that lump, and I’m in Ottawa. Certainly doesn’t look like there were a lot of crumbs/dust, unless it all settled into the bottom of your bin. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I buy that regularly now since Royal Oak is no where to be found around me usually. I find it comparable to RO. It’s not a premium neutral smoke lump but it’s pretty good.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JustBuggin
    Options
    Our local place has that in stock some times. With the price of it here I would rather order Rockwood though.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Related, lump threads/discussions around here are as charged as politics and religion. 
    If it works for you then that is all that counts.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard @OntarioDave.  

As @TEXASBGE2018 said it's a solid choice.  It is regularly available here in Texas and I use it regularly.  It takes a little longer for VOCs to burn off than in some of the premium choices (Rockwood) but it serves its purpose at a reasonable price.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    To supplement what @lousubcap said, it’s always good to save your lump threads for Fridays, when they generally turn incendiary - no pun intended. 
  • OntarioDave
    Options
    I buy that regularly now since Royal Oak is no where to be found around me usually. I find it comparable to RO. It’s not a premium neutral smoke lump but it’s pretty good.
    That's how I wound up with it, there is no RO around here either.

I went on Amazon Canada 3 weeks ago for laughs and searched for Rockwood and it was .....get ready......$250 a bag delivered to Ontario. Yep, not a typo. 2 days later it was list as "not available". 

Dave - Oshawa, ON
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Many times that is all that is available at my local Ace so I have gone through several bags. I find that when lighting it with a torch it tends to spark big time which I’m not fond of. Would rather use Rockwood when available.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    B&B is just an average or slightly below average lump. Others have said that Rockwood is better, and I would agree. But that's not saying much either! There are lump charcoals put there that are better than B&B and Rockwood. Rockwood does not get my nod due to the high price.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Mikee said:
    B&B is just an average or slightly below average lump. Others have said that Rockwood is better, and I would agree. But that's not saying much either! There are lump charcoals put there that are better than B&B and Rockwood. Rockwood does not get my nod due to the high price.

What do you consider high price?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @OntarioDave Right now is not exactly BBQ season and lump was OOS almost everywhere I looked with no plan of restocking before spring.  I found a local farm supply coop that was willing to special order for me.  He ordered 10 bags and I took 6.

Maple Leaf is in my top 2.  Still undecided between it and Rockwood.

Options
    paqman said:
    @OntarioDave Right now is not exactly BBQ season and lump was OOS almost everywhere I looked with no plan of restocking before spring.  I found a local farm supply coop that was willing to special order for me.  He ordered 10 bags and I took 6.

this is the best smelling lump ive ever cooked over. to bad they stopped sending it down over the boarder.  wicked good used to sell it way back when they sold comp blend, another great lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OntarioDave
    Options
    paqman said:

This is interesting. I believe that I've seen it....maybe Lowes or Canadian Tire.....I just forget.

I'll definitely give it a try when I see it - Thanks. 

Dave - Oshawa, ON
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    paqman said:

This is interesting. I believe that I've seen it....maybe Lowes or Canadian Tire.....I just forget.

I'll definitely give it a try when I see it - Thanks. 
    Both of them usually have it.  Lowes sometimes have a BOGO deal on it.  It has been harder to find since the pandemic started...

Agreed that it’s a great lump. For me, it’s a toss up between the Maple Leaf stuff and Basques.