Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef

Options
Did a couple of 2lb. chuck roasts low and slow for pulled beef sandwiches using a recipe I found on the Dizzy Pig website.
Here is the link: https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/
Instead of using the cow lick seasoning, I combined the coarse dizzy dust and some gunpowder rub. While my egg was coming to temp., I coated each cut in peanut oil before applying the rub liberally. Instead of a v-shaped roasting rack which I don't yet have, I used four stainless steel kitchen knives set in an aluminum drip pan filled with about two cups of water. I threw a handful of hickory wood chips on top of my lump and let the roasts go for about three hours at a dome temp. of 250°F, until they were around 160°F internal.

After they had hit 160°F internal, I pulled them and carefully transferred them to my dutch oven. I poured 2/3 cup of water and 1/3 cup of maple syrup over each and covered them. I put the dutch oven directly on the grate of my egg and resumed smoking (still covered) at 250°F.

Once the beef hit 215°F internal, I pulled the dutch oven and let the beef rest while draining the liquid into a small storage container which then went into the freezer to cool. I only let the beef rest for several minutes before shredding it by hand, but it didn't matter. It melted like butter between my gloved fingers.

After the beef liquid had cooled somewhat, I skimmed off the fat and returned the liquid to the now semi-shredded beef, along with about three tablespoons of Sweet Baby Ray's traditional BBQ sauce, all back into the dutch oven. I then returned the dutch oven (uncovered) to the egg.

After another hour and a half smoking at 250°F uncovered, I pulled the dutch oven and finished shredding the beef. The flavor and texture turned out perfect. Definitely recommend doing beef this way if you come across a couple of fairly priced chuck roasts.

Brooklyn, NYC - medium BGE

Comments