Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin Rib Half

Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
Hey guys. I want to do this cut for Christmas ... don't want to make pulled pork from it, but rather a nice roast.
I presume cooking at around 250F is okay ... and hit a target internal of 170F should be good?
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Bone in?  Boneless?

I cook the boneless roast 350° indirect to an IT of 135°F and slice it like boneless chops.  But, I have never had a bone in, rib end.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2020
    Unless I'm misunderstanding something, if it's pork loin do not cook it to 170F, that's meat murder. Aim for 130-135F.  I do this cut all the time and it's wonderful. I'd sear it first to get some nice coloring, then go low 'n slow direct while basting with oil/fat baste until it hits your target temp.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    Dang I don't feel sorry for you not having any fish, that's all you need. Did I say yum, my eyes did
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Langner91 said:
    Bone in?  Boneless?

I cook the boneless roast 350° indirect to an IT of 135°F and slice it like boneless chops.  But, I have never had a bone in, rib end.
    Ok sorry, first time I'm doing this so learning the lingo. Thanks everyone for your posts so far. It is a boneless pork loin from what it says on the package, just under 10 lbs. So sounds like I'll take this to 135F to 140F?

Dome at 350F, or lower??? Some saying low and slow here ...

• Mark_B_Good
    Oh and how long should I bank on 10 lbs taking?
  • SonVolt
    Langner91 said:
    Bone in?  Boneless?

Ok sorry, first time I'm doing this so learning the lingo. Thanks everyone for your posts so far. It is a boneless pork loin from what it says on the package, just under 10 lbs. So sounds like I'll take this to 135F to 140F?

Dome at 350F, or lower??? Some saying low and slow here ...

$48 for a Pork Loin?

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mark_B_Good
    LOL. Too cheap or too pricey??  Remember that is $48 CANADIAN dollars, which is like $6.50 USD right?? LOL.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    If I do a whole one, like you pictured, I sear it and then roast it indirect at 300° ish.

Honestly, as long as you don't get it too done you can do just about anything.  Lower temps let you creep up on it a little.  Higher temps get you there quicker. Very forgiving cut of meat.

You can brine it, rub it, or do just about anything to it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SonVolt
    Ahh, that makes a little more sense. Pork Loin is relatively cheap here in the states. 
  • DainW
    DainW Posts: 159
    Oh and how long should I bank on 10 lbs taking?
    I haven’t done a pork loin of this size but I’ve done a rib roast of comparable size and shape and I’d imagine it would take about 3 hours to get to 140ish IT if not a little more. Safe bet is would be to count on about 3 and half hours and if it gets done a little early you can just rest it a little longer.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    at 375 dome i would start checking internals around the first hour mark, only way to screw this cut up is overcooking.  side note, looking at this pic bottom left there is a small strip of meat, thats for the cook, its cut off and eaten before it goes into the house
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    IMO 3 hours seems excessive. Pork loins always surprise me with how fast they cook. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I’ve quit searing these.  Just by cooking them at 250 - 325 (wherever the egg settles) the crust/bark is more than sufficient and the internal meat is not dried out on the periphery.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    SonVolt said:
    Ahh, that makes a little more sense. Pork Loin is relatively cheap here in the states. 
    I agree it was a bit pricey, but it works out to around $36 USD ... or $3.6 per lb.  I normally buy this stuff at around $2 to $2.5 USD per lb ... but the size/cut just looked too good, and I was like, am I gonna pas it up for what, $10 savings ... I can't even go to McDonalds for that much anymore. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    at 375 dome i would start checking internals around the first hour mark, only way to screw this cut up is overcooking.  side note, looking at this pic bottom left there is a small strip of meat, thats for the cook, its cut off and eaten before it goes into the house
    Haha, sure thing, the small pieces are samples to make sure the guests enjoy their meal!  

So what am I aiming for 135F or 140F internal??
  • Foghorn
    You're aiming for at least 140 - after a short rest.  That's the minimal foodsafe temp recommended for pork these days.  It used to be much higher.  So, I usually pull it at 136-7.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    Haha, sure thing, the small pieces are samples to make sure the guests enjoy their meal!  

So what am I aiming for 135F or 140F internal??

i shoot for low 140's after resting, the pink will be mostly gone. some wont touch it if they see pink
    fukahwee maine

• Mark_B_Good
    Yeah, my family will freak if they see pink on pork.  So maybe I'll pull at 140F?? With rest, it will probably hit like 143F??

I'll cook at 275F to 300F dome, anticipating a 2 to 3h cook.
  • Foghorn
    Yeah, my family will freak if they see pink on pork.  So maybe I'll pull at 140F?? With rest, it will probably hit like 143F??

I'll cook at 275F to 300F dome, anticipating a 2 to 3h cook.
    Good plan.  At 275+ it will probably rise about 5 degrees or a little more - which will be perfect.  If they love this cook and you end up doing it a lot you might sneak down a few degrees.  Somewhere between 150 and 160 is where this cut turns to rubber.

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Hmm, I know they also HATE dry pork ... it's such a fine line, which is why I hate doing a pork chop on the regular BBQ.  Maybe I should aim for 138F and let it sit for 30 minutes.
  • fishlessman
    you can always buy a shorter piece and give it a practice cook for doneness. pick one the same thickness as you have and it will be an almost identical cook. these are cheap enough
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited December 2020
    Pork loin in my favourite cut for ‘Canadian’ bacon, cheaper and healthier than belly. Speaking of cheap, sometimes I pay as low as $1.60/lb CAD (on sale 1.99/lb + 20% PC Optimuum loyalty points).
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173867/another-batch-of-loin-bacon/p1

Matter of fact, No Frills has Canadian peameal bacon, same cut, 1.99/lb starting tomorrow. I find this too salty, have to soak and rinse to reduce salt. Like to smoke it low and slow till IT 145.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Another cook with the same cut...

canuckland
  • SonVolt
    Pork loin in my favourite cut for ‘Canadian’ bacon

You got your quotes in the wrong place  ;)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    All good advice above. Apple butter pairs well with pork loin. You can heat it up a little and serve on the side or baste the loin with it 10-15 minutes prior to removing from the grill. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mark_B_Good
    @Canugghead those pictures look amazing!  What are the seeds?

@shtgunal3 we were planning to do a chunky apple sauce with brown sugar ... but adding butter sounds like a winner!
  • Canugghead
    Thanks, those are fennel seeds, link to that cook ...
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1224333/spun-a-pork-roulade
    canuckland
  • Mark_B_Good
    Thanks looks great!

• Mark_B_Good
    OK it's go time for me today. I'm going to do this on the rotisserie. Also thinking of basting it. I'm going to baste it with apple/butter as suggested by @shtgunal3 ... so last 15 minutes?  Baste it like what, every 5 minutes??