Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Smoked a Chuck Roast and Ate It

Options
Little over 2 1/2 pound chuckie rubbed with OBR Texas SPOG. On the small at 275° with red oak. I let it run till 170 when the temp just stopped moving and then panned it up with beef broth and Worcestershire till it broke loose around 210. 

Threw some carrots in the SV @183 for a hour with a lil sugar,salt and butter. Then glazed off in a hot skillet 

Made some garlic mashed potatoes 
L

It’s finally time to eat after I took some of the stock mixture and made gravy.  

Really good groceries for a Sunday supper.  Thanks for looking.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice!  What did you think of the texture of the chuckie in the end?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - it was fork tender and very good.  Little more stiff than if I used (dare I say it) the instant pot. I’ve always thought pressurized roast were a little to soft. 

And Thanks for the compliment 

analyze adapt overcome

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - it was fork tender and very good.  Little more stiff than if I used (dare I say it) the instant pot. I’ve always thought pressurized roast were a little to soft. 

I still haven’t tried the long SV chuckie that is supposed to turn it into prime rib, but folks swear by it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I’ve done it once and it was great but I generally am not thinking that far ahead for meals. Nowadays I do good to remember to thaw the meat out 

analyze adapt overcome

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    great post . . . now I'm hungry for a chuck roast meal
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Beautiful as always. I'd slay those carrots.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Killing it.  Great cook across the board.
    Going over the top with the diamond plate.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

I still haven’t tried the long SV chuckie that is supposed to turn it into prime rib, but folks swear by it.
    what is this technique you speak of?
    TIA
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mattman3969
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @loco_engr - the one I did was salt, butter and rosemary in the bag @134 for 24hrs.  Dried seared it on a screamin hot egg and sliced like a steak.  Good eats for sure. 

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good eats, Matt! I keep having to add to the list of your cooks I’ve bookmarked. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dang
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks guys!  Prolly gonna turn the LO meat into vegetable beef soup tonight 

analyze adapt overcome

• gonepostal
    Options
    I'm stuck in a rut lately with my food rotation. Thanks for the inspiration. Looks great!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • builderdawg
    Options
    Little over 2 1/2 pound chuckie rubbed with OBR Texas SPOG. On the small at 275° with red oak. I let it run till 170 when the temp just stopped moving and then panned it up with beef broth and Worcestershire till it broke loose around 210. 

Threw some carrots in the SV @183 for a hour with a lil sugar,salt and butter. Then glazed off in a hot skillet 

Made some garlic mashed potatoes 
    L

It’s finally time to eat after I took some of the stock mixture and made gravy.  

Really good groceries for a Sunday supper.  Thanks for looking.  
    Very nice.  I screwed it up the first time I cooked it, but I'm glad I tried it again.  Smoked chuck roast has become one of my favorites.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Another winner my friend...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Leftover chuck in some vegetable beef stew 

analyze adapt overcome

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

I've been happy with the speed but disappointed with the quality of chuck roast in my pressure cooker.  Braising is the best.
    Options
    Hard to beat great comfort food this time of year. You hit a home run on that one Matt.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow