Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean Rib recipe

Options
So this weekend I’m looking to try a Korean rib recipe from Korean BBQ by Bill Kim (Slow-Grilled Ko-Rican Style Baby Back Ribs, pg. 86, if anyone has it). It sounds good but I’m thinking it may need to be modified a bit for the Egg so I’m looking for some advice on how to do that. His recipe calls for combining a couple of Korean-style sauces and using them as a marinade for half an hour. Then, at the outset of the cook, you double wrap each rack in foil with the remainder of the marinade and put them on at 300 to 325 degrees indirect for two hours. Then remove from the foil and let rest for ten minutes and put back on at 400 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes, flipping once, to get a char. 
  • I’ll be doing St. Louis-style instead on Baby Backs but can’t see that making too much difference.
  • Wrapping at the outset is pretty unconventional for the egg. He emphasizes not letting liquid escape so I guess the sauce/marinade is pretty wet. I expect there will be a bit of steaming which is not something I typically look to do. Anyway, I’m not so sure about wrapping at the outset. Thoughts?
  • 300 to 325 sounds a bit hot. He has them at that temp for two hours, but I’m not adverse to going at about 250 and taking longer. Any harm?
  • One of the sauce recipes apparently makes about a cup and a half of sauce but calls for 26 minced garlic cloves. That sounds pretty heavy on garlic, but I don’t use a lot of garlic anyway so I’m not sure if that’s a ton or pretty typical. 
Anyway, I’m just trying to branch out from the usual recipes but have a little trepidation and thought some ideas from those more knowledgeable couldn’t hurt. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks much.

Comments