Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Travel trailer question. Keeping insects out!

Options
ColbyLang
ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
edited November 2020 in Off Topic
My deer camp is a 27’ bumper pull camper with two slide outs. It stays with slides extended on my lease year round. Once a year or so (this weekend of course) I open it to find 150-200 wasps/yellow jackets hanging out inside. Alive. Bug bombs deployed, sleep at a buddies for the night and clean up today. 

Wondering what advice anyone has that would stop this from happening. Any help is greatly appreciated 

Comments

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    If the S traps are dry, they can come down the vent pipe  and up the drain, toilet also.if there no screen.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    pull up a lawn chair and watch your trailer, find out where they are coming in and out of and address.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• OntarioDave
    Options
    Get underneath the trailer and look for any holes and plug them with steel wool (use brass, not steel) and foam insulation.
    In addition put insect screens on your furnace exhaust. you can make them or buy them from Camping world. 

I would pull my slides in when not in use. 
    Large BGE, Weber Genesis CP310 and Weber Q1200 (camping)

There is no bad day if you're grilling !

Dave - Oshawa, ON
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    pull up a lawn chair and watch your trailer, find out where they are coming in and out of and address.
    My thoughts are the corners of the slides at this point. That’s where they’re congregating on the outside. I hosed all my slide seals with wasp spray and then with ortho bug spray. Hoping this keeps them at bay. 
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Get underneath the trailer and look for any holes and plug them with steel wool (use brass, not steel) and foam insulation.
    In addition put insect screens on your furnace exhaust. you can make them or buy them from Camping world. 

I would pull my slides in when not in use. 
    Zero holes underneath, screens are already in place on furnace, fridge vent and hot water tank. I’m thinking after the season my slides will start being pulled in when I’m not there. Just a PITA to set up coming and take down going
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    We full timed for 10 years. Slides out means areas for cold/heat and bug penetration. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV