Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Californian Thanksgiving

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
edited November 2020 in Off Topic
Since Thanksgiving is relegated to current COVID circle, we are having some close friends over, whom we have been in contact with for this whole debacle.

They are from California and I am not sure what Californians eat for Thanksgiving.  I know they do not like a lot of the traditional southern fare like deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, etc.  I could just ask, but want to try and surprise them with something.

Any ideas on what Califoreigners eat for Thanksgiving?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Probably kale and quinoa

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Californian here, originally from the midwest. I'd be pretty happy to eat food that was regionally inspired. If you wanted me to feel like you were catering to my CA tastes, include a dish (maybe a salad?) with some avocado in it and you'll be golden.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Tofurkey. 
    Soy based sweet potato casserole 
    gluten free stuffing
    kale salad with SkinnyGirl Vinegarette

Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    dmourati said:
    Californian here, originally from the midwest. I'd be pretty happy to eat food that was regionally inspired. If you wanted me to feel like you were catering to my CA tastes, include a dish (maybe a salad?) with some avocado in it and you'll be golden.
    Avacado is a great idea.  I have a cowboy salsa dish I really like that has avacado in it.  Might serve that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Nah, most of us are not vegan weirdo stereotype and like all the normal stuff. TEXASKAREN2020 is the one who should get on the kale and quinoa trend since she’s already half way there with her HOA complaints. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Cornholio said:
    Nah, most of us are not vegan weirdo stereotype and like all the normal stuff. TEXASKAREN2020 is the one who should get on the kale and quinoa trend since she’s already half way there with her HOA complaints. 
    My buddy loves all the same proteins that we like, turkey, beef, seafood, ham, etc.  The issue I am running into is sides.

They are totally cool with whatever I make, just want to try something unique.
  • Karen’s aren’t exclusive to California. A former Ole Miss sorority girl is something to behold.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Surprise them with the dishes you find delicious. This may sound sappy but cook the foods that speak to you from your family gatherings. Who can complain about food prepared with love and care that is shared with friends?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • When people travel the wise ones are expecting something different. Kind of boring otherwise. At least they haven’t said that they are vegan.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Northern California native here. We eat the same Thanksgiving-style meal that everyone else does. A few of our friends don't like turkey, so when it was our turn to host the feast we added grilled lamb chops and fresh salmon. 

I agree with avocado 100%. Maybe salsa and chips as well.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Constipation is the leading cause of Karen.  There are Karens everywhere, I’m not sure CA is the front runner here. 

avOcado

Why don’t you just make a sweet potato casserole and blend in some adobo from a jar of chipotles and top with crushed churro?  Is AZ Thanksgiving a thing?  Do you need to include some nopales?
  • Cornholio said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio said:
    My buddy loves all the same proteins that we like, turkey, beef, seafood, ham, etc.  The issue I am running into is sides.

Guac or some kind of avocado salad as mentioned I guess. When it comes to Thanksgiving all the people I know here in CA stick to the traditional stuff. My wife made deviled eggs yesterday so maybe we are weirdos here. 

How about a tri-tip then? Or some fish tacos, carne asada.. but those are just things we eat on a regular basis, not for Thanksgiving. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2020
    Legume said:
    Constipation is the leading cause of Karen.  There are Karens everywhere, I’m not sure CA is the front runner here. 

avOcado

Why don’t you just make a sweet potato casserole and blend in some adobo from a jar of chipotles and top with crushed churro?  Is AZ Thanksgiving a thing?  Do you need to include some nopales?
    Yup, we do Thanksgiving here, even though we were not a state till recently.  Only real difference is more peppers, tamales, and tortillas.  We are a state of transplants, so a lot of cool options.

I am not a big fan of nopales, even though I have a few growing right by my grills (non-spikey kind).  You can see some of the places I have harvested the pads.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2020
    Cornholio said:
    Cornholio said:

How about a tri-tip then? Or some fish tacos, carne asada.. but those are just things we eat on a regular basis, not for Thanksgiving. 
    That is just regular day food here too.  Not trying to replace the Turkey/ham/primerib.  Just looking for some cool side ideas.

They are pretty normal folk, even being from SoCal.  I honestly didn't peg them for being Californians until I had known them for a while.  Might be why they live in AZ now.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2020
    Cornholio said:
    You wear Costa Sunglasses don’t you?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Popeyes deep fried Cajun turkey
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2020
    Oh ya I forgot make sure it’s all
    organic or they might lecture you on how you are destroying the earth too. Oh wait we are talking about California not Oregon my bad.....

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Karen’s aren’t exclusive to California. A former Ole Miss sorority girl is something to behold.
    And probably damn hot if “former” means the last decade or so.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Tip2Tip
    Tip2Tip Posts: 100
    buzzvol said:
    Karen’s aren’t exclusive to California. A former Ole Miss sorority girl is something to behold.
    And probably damn hot if “former” means the last decade or so.
    They fatten up pretty fast in my experience.  I met one at a bar and decided I still needed a couple more beers first.  
    California
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio said:
    You edited your first response about not giving a sh*t because you actually do give a sh*t what people think.  =)

No, I had actually never heard of Costa sunglasses until your post in that other thread where you seemed really bothered by what other people wear. I looked them up, you do realize that most Costas are now made at the Oakley plant here in Orange County, right? Oakley is just another part of a huge conglomerate (arguably a monopoly) so you are just paying for the name and the quality has gone down due to Luxottica’s greed. Ray-Ban as well.

They essentially forced Oakley to sell and wiped out most longtime employees because Oakley would not agree to the prices Luxottica wanted to pay (they would have had to cut corners to meet the demands meaning produce a lower quality product). They (the new Oakley) even stopped hosting an annual charity mountain bike ride I participate in that started and finished at their headquarters because they no longer care about the local community which was a complete 180 from the old Oakley. So you essentially pay top dollar for the same cheap glasses you made fun of but with another name stamped on them.

Aside from cooking and eating what hobbies do you have that justify the brands you wear anyways? Do you fit the stereotype of not being very active and a bit overweight? It’s funny how you post things where you definitely give a crap what others do then backpedal and try and play it off like you are being sarcastic.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Cornholio said:
    Asked White Oakley Guy.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio said:
    Cornholio said:

That is just regular day food here too.  Not trying to replace the Turkey/ham/primerib.  Just looking for some cool side ideas.

They are pretty normal folk, even being from SoCal.  I honestly didn't peg them for being Californians until I had known them for a while.  Might be why they live in AZ now.
    Animal style fries like in-n-out.. Or a side potato dish with carne asada and guac on top like asada fries. 
  • Cornholio said:
    Cornholio said:
    You edited your first response about not giving a sh*t because you actually do give a sh*t what people think.  =)

No, I had actually never heard of Costa sunglasses until your post in that other thread where you seemed really bothered by what other people wear. I looked them up, you do realize that most Costas are now made at the Oakley plant here in Orange County, right? Oakley is just another part of a huge conglomerate (arguably a monopoly) so you are just paying for the name and the quality has gone down due to Luxottica’s greed. Ray-Ban as well.

They essentially forced Oakley to sell and wiped out most longtime employees because Oakley would not agree to the prices Luxottica wanted to pay (they would have had to cut corners to meet the demands meaning produce a lower quality product). They (the new Oakley) even stopped hosting an annual charity mountain bike ride I participate in that started and finished at their headquarters because they no longer care about the local community which was a complete 180 from the old Oakley. So you essentially pay top dollar for the same cheap glasses you made fun of but with another name stamped on them.

Aside from cooking and eating what hobbies do you have that justify the brands you wear anyways? Do you fit the stereotype of not being very active and a bit overweight? It’s funny how you post things where you definitely give a crap what others do then backpedal and try and play it off like you are being sarcastic.  
    No I don’t give a **** what you or anyone else on here thinks of me. If I wanted the opinion of some prissy little California mountain biker I’d ask for it. Im done with you now. 

• Legume said:
    Cornholio said:
    Asked White Oakley Guy.
    More of a Ray-Ban guy. But I don’t own a fighter jet so maybe I need to rethink that....

• Cornholio
    No I don’t give a **** what you or anyone else on here thinks of me. If I wanted the opinion of some prissy little California mountain biker I’d ask for it. Im done with you now. 
    Prissy huh? I didn’t know that being active and fit makes someone prissy. Does the fact that I surf, snowboard, ride BMX with my son also make me prissy? Funny coming from an overweight chap like you and your c-cup moobs. What brand bra do you wear? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Cornholio said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac My wife makes a salad like this and it’s a nice fresh prissy Californian side.

That looks awesome.  Might add some depth by riasting the tomatoes and corn. 🤔