Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican Style St. Louis ribs with Dizzy Pig Molé

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
I'm a big fan of @Nature Boy's range, and their Molé rub is one of the house favourites. So after being inspired to Mexican food by a recent TV series here in the UK, I made a Mexican flavoured rack of ribs using said rub. It was rather lovely. Mrs. Stormbringer had the idea of putting some tequila into the glaze ... she was spot on! Recipe in the blog post link below:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2020/11/21/mexican-bbq-ribs/

These were served with smokey chipotle beans cooked in the MMX.

Ready to go into the Egg:

After 3 hours:

Applying the glaze:

Served ... sort of. The pictures I took of the finished ribs were crap, this is a library pic that is representative of the actual finished rack:

Thanks for looking!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Beautiful colour on those bad boys. Did you use any smoking wood?
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Beautiful!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CPARKTX2
    CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    In a nod, exceptional colour and finish on those.  Always roll in with great cooks.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks wonderful. I’m a big fan of the Molé rub and Mexican flavors in general. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Beautiful pictures.  Is this  DSLR by chance? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I like the olive wood board too. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Those look outstanding. Thanks for sharing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thanks @Stormbringer. Picture #2 tells me you nailed those ribs. Disappointed that the finished picture was a substitute, but I understand :) Nice color and caramelization workin'! So happy you are enjoying the mole. @Pepper Monkey BBQ was the inspiration. She moved to Texas and told me she wanted somthing "Cuminny and Gaujilo Chile-y". Haha, that was my instructions. I loved the chilies so much I got carried away and decided to add cacao. People were pissed when the limited release version ran out, so we're bringing it back full time. My world is complete hearing that it is a "house favorite"!
    Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Beautiful colour on those bad boys. Did you use any smoking wood?
    Thanks, I used cherry with these ribs. The flavour worked well with the Molé-infused glaze.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Stormbringer
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Beautiful pictures.  Is this  DSLR by chance? 
    All the photos were taken by Mrs. Stormbringer with an IPhone 8 Plus using portait mode :). She's a great photographer with a good eye for composition and using of fake bokeh. 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Thanks @Stormbringer. Picture #2 tells me you nailed those ribs. Disappointed that the finished picture was a substitute, but I understand :) Nice color and caramelization workin'! So happy you are enjoying the mole. @Pepper Monkey BBQ was the inspiration. She moved to Texas and told me she wanted somthing "Cuminny and Gaujilo Chile-y". Haha, that was my instructions. I loved the chilies so much I got carried away and decided to add cacao. People were pissed when the limited release version ran out, so we're bringing it back full time. My world is complete hearing that it is a "house favorite"!
    Cheers!
    Chris

Thanks and glad to hear your world is now complete! :D 

I looked for it at your store when we were there last year but sadly none left. At least we have most of an 8oz jar left, having already gotten through one. Mrs. Stormbringer makes a mean smashburger using the rub as flavour, it pairs extremely well with her green tomato and tamarind chutney as a burger sauce. Hopefully BBQ Gourmet over on this side of the pond will be getting some more when it comes back full time. 

• Stormbringer
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I like the olive wood board too. 
    Thanks, this was something that Mrs. Stormbringer picked up in a flea market for a £2 (just under $3). She has a keen eye for photography, that includes items to help with composition.

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Well done @Stormbringer  
    Always a good day when your Cooks' Digest update drops in to my inbox =)
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Well done @Stormbringer  
    Always a good day when your Cooks' Digest update drops in to my inbox =)
    Cheers, I know what to cook if and when you’re in my neighbourhood. 👍

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Beautiful rack of ribs you have there....color looks great.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"