Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked salt and pepper

Options
Has anyone made ther own smoked salt and pepper?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    only salt, light spritz it while smoking with water a few times and move it around several times. store in a tight jar or the smoke seems to dissipate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pigskin73
    Options
  • rekameohs
    Options
    only salt, light spritz it while smoking with water a few times and move it around several times. store in a tight jar or the smoke seems to dissipate

I've done both salt and pepper (using Amazn Smoker) and have been happy with both.  I did not use water on the salt - just stirred it around every once in awhile.   Vacuum sealed for a couple weeks, then put in jars.  
    Raleigh, NC
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I don't make my own, but my egging neighbor down the street does.
    He adds Kroger Private Selections Roasted California Garlic Powder to salt and pepper.

He smokes it, stirring and spraying water on the mix every so often during the process. He makes a lot at a time and gifts me a shaker full when he is done. I use it on rice, veggies, cooked eggs and most meats that I don't smoke on the egg. It is addicting. 

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    I don't make my own, but my egging neighbor down the street does.
    He adds Kroger Private Selections Roasted California Garlic Powder to salt and pepper.

He smokes it, stirring and spraying water on the mix every so often during the process. He makes a lot at a time and gifts me a shaker full when he is done. I use it on rice, veggies, cooked eggs and most meats that I don't smoke on the egg. It is addicting. 

****....I got try this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,900
    Options
    @northGAcock - let me know how you like and use it after. Had some on rice  mixed with zucchini and Italian style tomato sauce for a lazy supper. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.