Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to use as a baste and glaze on a spatchcock turkey?

Sweet100s
Sweet100s Posts: 553
edited November 2020 in Poultry
What ingredients should go in my turkey baste while smoking it spatchcock style? 

Any thoughts about what to use as a glaze for the final 5 - 10 minutes? 

My dad used to baste bbq chicken with just white vinegar, salt, and pepper.  So delicious!      But for a turkey that seems a little plain...

---------   Note to Austin-ites   ------------

This year I ordered a local turkey from Whitehurst farms via Wheatsville Coop.  Wheatsville Coop hasn’t been doing well since they only recently enabled curbside service.  I’ve been ordering delivery from Whole Foods and Central Market mostly.  Completely forgot about Wheatsville.
To get their service started, they are offering curbside with no fees.
I made a special request I’ll be retrieving it from the South Congress store where Jay the Wheatsville meat cutter will spatchcock it for me.  This should help me avoid the $800 ER bill the last time I tried to....
The Guadalupe store is a lot closer to me, but the South Congress store is lots bigger and with a newer design.  What’s common is the people who work there are amongst the nicest grocery workers anywhere. 

Link additions now that ordering is live:
=== Wheatsville Coop pretty menu PDF just posted
=== Wheatsville Coop link now live for placing Thanksgiving week pickup turkey orders
=== Wheatsville Coop link for special requests
This is where I sent the request to have my turkey order spatchcocked.  Their "Turkey Team" promptly replied.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Maybe this is just me, but I don't baste turkey.  There's a myth basting makes a turkey more moist, but in actuality, overcooking it is what makes it dry. Also, cutting it up when it's too hot makes it dryer. 

Most people overcook by using those pop-up thermometers or following recommended internal temperatures, which, IMO, are too high.  Throw the pop-up away if it has one. 

For me, when the internal temp (by measuring the coolest part of the inside of the breast) is 155-160F (I lean towards 155), I pull it off and let it rest. 
    Also, I cook them kind of hot.  325-350F
    edited November 2020
    Thanks Nola!  I've had good results with that temp too.

Is that location "the coolest part of the inside of the breast" still true for when spatchcocked? 
    i.e., Is that still the coolest part of the turkey when spatchcocked? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm not sure when spatchcocking if you shouldn't also check the dark meat and looking for 165F there.  When you hit one or the other, that's a good compromise.  I always cook them unspatched.
    edited November 2020
    I was going to try icing the breasts (makes me quiver just to say that ;) ) to get them at the right temp at the same time.

1 baggie of ice on each for 30 min or so...
  • Sweet100s said:
    I was going to try icing the breasts (makes me quiver just to say that ;) ) to get them at the right temp at the same time.

1 baggie of ice on each for 30 min or so...
    If you're spatch-cocking the bird I don't think there's any need for icing the breasts. I know this sounds dirty, but it really isn't.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Sweet100s said:
    I was going to try icing the breasts (makes me quiver just to say that ;)
    It made me quiver hearing you say that  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    You want instant attention, ice the breasts.  I offer/suggest it every chance I get but regarding spatch turkey, legs to the back and the icing for 20 or so minutes should help bring it all home at the same time.   As @nolaegghead mentioned, drive the cook based on the breasts (unless you are a thigh man) for the finish.  Thighs can handle the higher heat (stating the obvious here) and your suggested temperature range will yield a great finish.
    Regarding the baste- I will season under the skin, and loosely toss aromatics into the cavity.  I rub with peanut oil and then fire it up.  No basting but your father's recipe should be fine.  
    BTW- I use a hatchet to spatch as that gets right thru the bones-no adult drinking before that exercise.  Enjoy the cook, wherever you land.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • carl292
    carl292 Posts: 44
    edited November 2020
    No glaze here either. We like crispy skin
     Gonna try this spatchcock bird recipe while the wife does the ham.
    She says 10-12 lb at 450  indirect for 45min -1hr. 

https://youtu.be/i_YBbgBIH6w
  • SGH said:
    Sweet100s said:
    I was going to try icing the breasts (makes me quiver just to say that ;)
    It made me quiver hearing you say that  ;)
    Ha!  Hey there SGH! :-)
    lousubcap said:
    but regarding spatch turkey, legs to the back and the icing for 20 or so minutes should help bring it all home at the same time. 
    Thanks @lousubcap. I have been wondering what direction to point the legs.
    OK to the back it is. That's because the egg's heat flow is hotter there, right?

Even if icing not needed  given spatchcocking, I'm going to give it a try just because it's Thanksgiving and I have the time to experiment.

StillH2OEgger and carl292, many thanks for your advice - I'll skip doing a glaze like what I do on pork tenderloin.

Might still just butter-herb-baste at t-minus-5 minutes for taste.  By then most of the skin should be crispy. 

• I like to freeze about a sick of butter cut into two halves. I work half a stick between the skin and the meat on each breast. You can make an herbed compound butter, freeze it and then use it between the skin and meat of the breast.
  • You can make an herbed compound butter, freeze it and then use it between the skin and meat of the breast.
    Added to the Cook plan. Thanks!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Sweet100s said:
    You can make an herbed compound butter, freeze it and then use it between the skin and meat of the breast.
    Added to the Cook plan. Thanks!
    Mix a little miso paste into the butter.  Pow!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I spatchcock, heavy dose of a Cajun compound butter under the skin and hit the temps in the breast @nolaegghead mentioned.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Correct in that the back of the BGE is hotter due to the air flow characteristics.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    never spatched a turkey nor glazed one but i could see some type of bourbon glaze on a spatched one added at the end of the cook while raising temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it