Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Charcoal?

Anyone have info on this new Brazilian hardwood charcoal? BGE was doing hickory and oak before. I get Rockwood but l’m still curious

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    hmmm, charcoal made for BGE in Brazil and shipped here. My guess is labor is dirt cheap, the wood is dirt cheap and shipping has to be the most expensive part. So I wonder how much is ol' Arnie saving by going this route.  BTW what is the selling price as compared to the BGE lump that the world knew was just Royal Oak in sheep's clothing?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    hmmm, charcoal made for BGE in Brazil and shipped here. My guess is labor is dirt cheap, the wood is dirt cheap and shipping has to be the most expensive part. So I wonder how much is ol' Arnie saving by going this route.  BTW what is the selling price as compared to the BGE lump that the world knew was just Royal Oak in sheep's clothing?
    I just called the retailer - Brazilian is $1 more than the old BGE hickory/oak

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    lwrehm said:
    A BRAZILIAN?   That alot of hardwood!

Beat me to it ha ha
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    edited September 2020
    kinda makes sense to me really.  Look at all the other 'axe breaker' lumps out there.  They are just getting their version in.

Funny to hear the negative comments about BGE at least attempting to 'expand' their product line.  I guess some businesses can't win.

anyway, just my .02 

Egg on.......
  • Picked up a bag yesterday. Gonna give it a try in a week or so.
  • Picked up a bag yesterday. Gonna give it a try in a week or so.
    Please let us know what you think

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    edited September 2020
    Just my 2, marketing hype.  How does French Caca Wood sound?  Burns great and oh the aroma.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Drop into a Friday Zoom session as a few weeks ago the topic turned to Brazilian.  Coulda been a wax job but it was getting dark and stormy... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • They are coming out with 2 new charcoals. The Brazilian charcoal which I was told will be a mix of Brazilian hardwoods and be priced lower than the normal BGE Charcoal. They are also coming out with a Canadian Maple Charcoal. That price point will be a little more. Just the rumblings I have heard from our distributor
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    They are coming out with 2 new charcoals. The Brazilian charcoal which I was told will be a mix of Brazilian hardwoods and be priced lower than the normal BGE Charcoal. They are also coming out with a Canadian Maple Charcoal. That price point will be a little more. Just the rumblings I have heard from our distributor
    This is good news, always looking for something a bit different than the same old.     Thanks for this!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • I am the opposite I like the same ole. With Rock wood I know exactly what to expect, consistency, I tried a bag of kJ and struggled to get it lit and rolling, checked it 10 minutes later and I was over 900 degrees. I could master the kJ lump but who has the time to learn the characteristics of each lump.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Anyone have any phone numbers i have been trying to get it
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Don’t Brazilians always make for hard wood?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I have some of the Brazilian lump.  It's not any less expensive and not really any better.
    NOLA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i've had a heck of a time getting decent charcoal. i'm pretty sure they put sparklers in one bag.  couldn't find red bag royal oak.  i tried to get the green bag BGE charcoal, which i thought was rebranded royal oak.  BGE dealer gave some explanation of why that wasn't around anymore and pointed me towards nature-glo. that worked fine.

also found some kamado joe "big block" charcoal.  lump is too big for my needs but worked fine, and the bag is plastic reinforced which is nice.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • HeavyG said:
    I'd feel guilty about burning down the Amazonian rainforest if I bought that.
    BGE claims it's "sustainably grown":

"Big Green Egg Eucalyptus Charcoal is produced using only sustainably grown wood, and the process includes soil and water preservation efforts with no deforestation."

https://biggreenegg.com/product/100-natural-brazilian-hardwood-lump-charcoal/

I bought a bag, and it does seem to be low smoke, and does not impart much flavor, which is good for uses where you want as little smoke taste as possible.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    so is $24.95 a good price for 17.5# . . . haven't brought charcoal in a few years
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Loco eng ....that’s about what it cost me this week..$25. Bought a bag of the regBGE lump and a bag of the import. There was little dust in he Brazilian compared to some of the off brands I’ve tried. Trying it right now. Agree it’s low smoke which is good for the butternut squash, but I’ll have to add some apple chunks before putting the chops on, in order to get any real smoke flavor. Ash tool shown as reference. 
  • I just paid $25.99 for the BGE Brazilian and $29.99 for the standard BGE charcoal, both 20lb bags.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited October 2021
    It's been a while, but nevertheless, here we are again, lol!  A little late to the game, but if you are interested in this lump, it is made from Eucalyptus wood.  You can read our review here:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag142.htm

And incidentally, the bags are 17.5 pounds, not 20. 
    The Naked Whiz