Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extremely Difficult Gasket Removal

Options
I am interested in ideas for removing a very stubborn old, burnt-on gasket.  I also would like some idea about how much of the old, blackened gasket residue can be safely ignored in the replacement process.

My Story:
I finally had to deal with damaged gasket (appears to be burnt in places) that no longer sealed.  After two days of scraping, I finally got the top gasket off and started on the bottom.

I have used the gasket removal scraper provided with my replacement gasket, alcohol, Goo Gone, wood chisel, carpenters' knife and, a brass scraper.  The gasket on the bottom is severely stuck and relinquishes only small bits of old gasket at a time.  At this rate it may take more than two days to get it clean enough to either replace the old gasket or try using it without gasketing.

I have wondered if torching the old gasket would 1) work, or 2) damage the egg or finish.

Comments