Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon a la Heaven

Options
Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
Guys, Holy Moses did i ever cook one bang on today.

Went river fishing Saturday and caught us a nice 8 to 10 lb salmon. Fileted it and marinated in a white wine, balsamic and maple syrup recipe for 48h.

Cooked on a cedar plank, covered with lemon slices, drizzled extra juices overtop, kept dome at at 375F to 400F with Applewood smoke via pellets. 

Took probably 30 minutes for I'd say 4 lbs of fillets.

Then while hot off the grill, melted chunks of butter on top and drizzled Himalayan salt ... added some fresh oregano branches and served.

My oh my oh my.

It was heavenly bliss.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I want! Where did you land this salmon?
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Assuming my Invite will be in the mailbox, tomorrow....  :s

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    very nice looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Looks awesome.  I'd definitely eat more than my share.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    JNDATHP said:
    I want! Where did you land this salmon?
    Got it at a river that is closed to me in Oakville, Ontario.  They are a'runin! Probably another 1 to 2 weeks before they are all gone! 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very few people ever get the chance to eat salmon that fresh. Beautiful!
    But could you actually taste the salmon with all the stuff you put on it?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    looks good to me, hard to beat fresh salmon. hope you saved the cheeks, best part
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Very few people ever get the chance to eat salmon that fresh. Beautiful!
    But could you actually taste the salmon with all the stuff you put on it?
    Let me put it this way ... it was a perfect blend of everything. You could taste a bit of salmon, some of the cedar, and some of the wine marinade ... wine marinade taste seemed to be prominent on top, while the cedar on the bottom, and the salmon in the middle ... so when you got a full cross section of the salmon and put it in your mouth ... that is where my brain checked out for a second and flew over to orgasmic rolling fields of bliss.

Put it this way, my mother-in-law and wife DO NOT eat fresh water fish. My 12 year old thinks everything but chicken fingers and pizza is gross ... well, they all ate it, and said it was one of the best fish dishes they ever tasted.