Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone having problems finding BGE charcoal?

I have two eggs and have band any other grill at my home.  I have tried alternate charcoals with poor results so I am committed to BGE charcoal. I live in a rural area of W NC where there are few dealers. All dealers are on back order for charcoal. Today I went to Atlanta and the dealers I visited were also on back order. What is going on?   Today. bought Rockwood charcoal and I hope it will work well.  Can’t believe BGE is shuttling down with charcoal!! Anybody else having problems?

Best Answers

Answers

• Big Green Egg will not allow online sales, big box sales and even cut off one dealer near me for selling too much competitive charcoal. Now they can’t keep up with demand and their retail center in Atl is still shut down with Covid. Not good for the brand! What did they think would happen in a quarantine? Did they actually think we would shut down the grills?
  • My local ACE here in the Bay Area of California has been out BGE charcoal for a couple of months. It's a bummer, but I make do with what I can get.
  • Home depot has the Royal Oak.  Ace's seem to be slowly getting Rockwood in. Appears it has to do with how their distibution is spreading it out.  Took my Ace about 3 months to get my order in.
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Confucius say one cannot have problem finding if one does not look.  Or care.
    even cowboy has now disappeared here, might have to set the egg up for briquettes 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I just ordered 3 bags of wicked good for in store pick up at ace. Never used it before.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Just picked up another bag of RO from my local HD. They had 8-10 bags left on the pallet, I am contemplating going back and buying the rest of the pallet. Bonus...we had a large pecan limb fall the other day at our work, so I grabbed a trailer and brought that home. Should be good on pecan chunks for a while! 
    LBGE
    AL
  • I have 8 bags in my stock. I found a local dealer where people wouldn't normally think of buying BGE stuff, and they had it ... everyone else is out of stock!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Cornholio said:
    Archcam said:
    My local ACE here in the Bay Area of California has been out BGE charcoal for a couple of months. It's a bummer, but I make do with what I can get.
    Try your nearest Home Depot for Royal Oak. I have a HD less than a mile away from my house and it’s always well stocked with a pallet of RO (who makes BGE lump anyways). 

I am in So Cal, BTW. 
    Last month, the only brand of lump charcoal my local Home Depot had was Frontier, so I picked up a couple of bags. It's pretty good, but it would be nice to have more choices.
  • ordered three bags of KJ big block from ABT (arrived).  Just ordered 3 bags of Wicked Good from ACE (should be here Saturday).  Down to my last bag of B&B.
  • Archcam
    Archcam Posts: 21
    I wasn't able to get the regular BGE charcoal, but I did pick up some of the Brazilian Hardwood type at Eggs By the Bay, and it does seem to be lower in smoke and mild in flavor. I used it to smoke a brisket a couple of weeks ago (pecan and hickory chunks,) and it worked well.  BTW, BGE claims that this charcoal is made from sustainably-grown hardwood (eucalyptus wood,) if that's  concern for you.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2020
    There must be something to a shortage of bge charcoal, a local price gouging dealer in Birmingham has been advertising on the radio that they have bge charcoal in stock. I would rather cook with dried cow pies before I spent a dime in that store.
  • GregW said:
    There must be something to a shortage of bge charcoal, a local price gouging dealer in MO Birmingham has been advertising on the radio that they have bge charcoal in stock. I would rather cook with dried cow pies before I spent a dime in that store.
    If you are in Birmingham, try Publix Greenwise lump. It is relatively cheap (same price point as Royal Oak) and I have been impressed. Big chunks. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    GregW said:
    There must be something to a shortage of bge charcoal, a local price gouging dealer in MO Birmingham has been advertising on the radio that they have bge charcoal in stock. I would rather cook with dried cow pies before I spent a dime in that store.
    If you are in Birmingham, try Publix Greenwise lump. It is relatively cheap (same price point as Royal Oak) and I have been impressed. Big chunks. 
    I bought some of the Greenwise lump years ago. I would consider it excellent.
    Completely converted to charcoal and very high density.
    Thanks for reminding me how good it is. I will pick up a bag next trip to Publix.