Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...Bread Maker

Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
Watched this for several months at local Pawn Shop. Looked like new with all parts and DVD.
Tossed in a rough mix of all purpose flour instead of bread flour, all I had. Just wanted to make sure it worked.
I think good deal for $20.
I think my flour was a little over measured so dry dough, ugly top.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Anything Zojirushi for 20 bucks is a great deal.
    No doubts, you'll get things dialed in.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    I had a Panasonic bread maker about 30 years ago. Worked very well. It made a tall loaf not the long loaf like yours. The bottom inch or so would have a big hole where the paddle/beater was.

The last few years I had it I used it mostly just to knead pizza dough.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    $20??? Damn you.

My BIL has a zojirushi bread maker and loves it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    That is a deal and a half. Love our "little Zoe" 1 pound machine. It's built like a tank and makes the perfect sized loaf for the two of us. Enjoy your new find.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That's a good deal.  Those are highly rated.  I paid a helluvalot more for ours (x-mas gift for SWMBO, she asked for it).  It's been in a cabinet for a few years.
    I have the same Panasonic. Works well but don't use it much anymore 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Photo Egg
    Dredger said:
    That is a deal and a half. Love our "little Zoe" 1 pound machine. It's built like a tank and makes the perfect sized loaf for the two of us. Enjoy your new find.
    I saw your post about making pizza dough in yours. That pushed me to jump on this machine. Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a 2 lb Zo. Far more than 20 bucks. I go thru phases where I use it a lot. Then, nothing for a while. I like to use the dough cycle, but then put it in a loaf pan, let it rise and bake in the oven. Better crust, better browning, no holes in the bottom. PITA though. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Nice find.  I've got a couple of their products, and they are top notch.

Phoenix 
  • Dredger
    You're most welcome @Photo Egg. That is such a great deal, it would be hard to pass up. I have owned many bread machines, but a Zoe is the best that I have had. Solid as a rock. Lucky man.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Photo Egg
    Dredger said:
    You're most welcome @Photo Egg. That is such a great deal, it would be hard to pass up. I have owned many bread machines, but a Zoe is the best that I have had. Solid as a rock. Lucky man.
    First real loaf. Came out great. I  made pizza dough and it was super easy. Tried your recipe but only had bread flower. Flavor was great but it was a tad dry after over night rest in fridge. Had trouble getting it to stretch out. Does the 00 stretch out easier or do you really have to work it?
    Thanks for all your tips.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dredger
    edited August 2017
    @Photo Egg, you need to let it set out for an hour or so and start stretching it after the refrigerator rest. If it "fights you", leave it alone for about 20 minutes and start again. If it continues to "fight you", leave it alone again and keep trying. This may take three tries. We like thin crust, so we use a rolling pin after stretching so that we don't have bubbles. I just keep stretching it until it behaves and we get the dough like we want. Never tried it with bread flour, but it shouldn't be that different. The main reason for the 00 flour is temperature control. Each flour has a temperature preference and it depends on what you use. Hope that helps. Good looking bread and zas.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Photo Egg
    Dredger said:
    @Photo Egg, you need to let it set out for an hour or so and start stretching it after the refrigerator rest. If it "fights you", leave it alone for about 20 minutes and start again. If it continues to "fight you", leave it alone again and keep trying. This may take three tries. We like thin crust, so we use a rolling pin after stretching so that we don't have bubbles. I just keep stretching it until it behaves and we get the dough like we want. Never tried it with bread flour, but it shouldn't be that different. The main reason for the 00 flour is temperature control. Each flour has a temperature preference and it depends on what you use. Hope that helps. Good looking bread and zas.
    Thank you.
    I let it rest for an hour at room temp before I started. Pressed it out as much as I could and let it rest again. My biggest problem was the dough starting to dry out. The longer the rest the more it wanted to tear instead of stretch.
    I will give it another go next weekend. I am going by weight for the first time so it will be easier to make adjustments.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Darian, I always take my dough ball out of the fridge 2 hours before stretching. I proof them in the fridge individually in Glad plastic tubs and set the tub on the counter to warm. I leave the lid on for the 2 hrs and the dough doesn't dry out. I like that better than covering with a towel or plastic wrap. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Always Read Bread Machine Reviews before you going to buy. I always prefer getting all the details and then go for the best one as per my requirements.
  • Photo Egg
    EllaJones said:
    Always Read Bread Machine Reviews before you going to buy. I always prefer getting all the details and then go for the best one as per my requirements.
    Used it now for a little over 3 years and still going strong. $20 well spent.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    That's a good deal.  Those are highly rated.  I paid a helluvalot more for ours (x-mas gift for SWMBO, she asked for it).  It's been in a cabinet for a few years.
    I have one in the cabinet also, it takes up a huge amount of space.
  • EllaJones said:
    Always Read Bread Machine Reviews before you going to buy. I always prefer getting all the details and then go for the best one as per my requirements.
    Are you affiliated with that site or something?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    HeavyG said:
    I had a Panasonic bread maker about 30 years ago. Worked very well. It made a tall loaf not the long loaf like yours. The bottom inch or so would have a big hole where the paddle/beater was.

The last few years I had it I used it mostly just to knead pizza dough.
    I still have that one, still working after all these years
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Darian . . . do you own anything you didn't buy at a pawn shop?  =)=)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Photo Egg
    loco_engr said:
    Darian . . . do you own anything you didn't buy at a pawn shop?  =)=)
    Several Big Green Eggs. This explains why I looks for deal on other things.lol
    I did buy a like new sports hat at a thrift store several years ago. Cost me more to ship it to my friend in Kansas. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pizza D'oh! Balls.  Forgot we had a bread maker so pulled that out and am trying it out for the mixing kneading process.  Pretty painless.
    edited January 6
    I'm thinking of getting a breadmaker covers in the jan sales, can any one recommend any good ones worth looking at or ones to avoid? I looking for something to do a 'standard' loaf, a timer would be good, but not too many whistles and bells. Thanks,
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Happy New Year to our resident scam bot!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Haha, same MO, always a link and edited exactly one minute later. 

canuckland