Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - Tornado Omelette; a Technique

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,429
A neat technique, I will be trying this soon (and, this is about as food-prOn as it gets):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-v1iiwI7I

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• good show!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    That's cool but it doesn't beat out the Japanese Omurice Omelette:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5qoehk6xBM

There is a lot more to the making of the omelette itself so if one is interested there are more in depth (and much longer) videos available. I just wanted to convey the dramatic finish with this one.

I've tried a few times without success so I stick with making a pretty good tamagoyaki (Japanese rolled omlette).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Daaaaaang

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fufufufufuuuuccckkkk!
    HeavyG said:
    That's cool but it doesn't beat out the Japanese Omurice Omelette:

That looks like the guy at Kichi Kichi in Kyoto, Japan. Supposedly the best, or at least most famous, omurice in Japan.

I've watched his vids more times than I care to admit. Seems like a personable fella, who's made omurice so many times that he could do it blindfolded. 

I actually want to know more about that demi glace (or whatever it is), that's always on his stove. I'd pay to eat just that with rice. 

And I'll take any tips you have for making good tamagoyaki. I've made some decent enough, but not better than what our fav sushi place dishes up.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    First try failure, there is a fine line between the turning torque vs tearing.  Looked okay at the start and then it stopped during the twirl. When I increased the pressure it tore. So wider separation on the chop sticks and  maybe more grease on next attempt.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • Botch
    @Wolfpack, I was put off a bit by the amount of oil, and from your experience, sounds like its required (I had forgotten it this morning).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Botch said:
    @Wolfpack, I was put off a bit by the amount of oil, and from your experience, sounds like its required (I had forgotten it this morning).  
    yup. There's a not paltry amount of fat in that pan. 

i found that butter is my fav fat for cooking eggs (and pancakes... and waffles). If I'm going to use enough enough fat that I can taste it, I'd rather taste butter over almost any other fat.

Bacon grease is a close second. Ghee is a close third, to that close second. Depends on the kind of ghee, too.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Wolfpack said:
    First try failure, there is a fine line between the turning torque vs tearing.  Looked okay at the start and then it stopped during the twirl. When I increased the pressure it tore. So wider separation on the chop sticks and  maybe more grease on next attempt.  
    Also watch how he turns the pan at times instead of spinning sticks.
    At least eggs are cheap.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Botch
    Gave this a try this morning. I usually have 2 regular slices of bacon and 2 eggs for breakfast. This morning I left the bacon grease in the teflon pan (12"), melted in an additional pat of butter (thanks @caliking!), added the eggs, and I think I may have waited a few seconds too long; it spun fine but didn't build up, height-wise, like it did in the video. The dismount was a disaster and I ended up with a folded omelette anyway (and a mess in the kitchen).  
    But, practice! I do this every morning, so I'll figure it out.

• Botch
    Cool!  How did you brown the top?  

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great commentary.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Looks more like a hurricane
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    Botch said:
    By cheating... flipped it over when plating =)

But that does give me an idea. Flaming the top with a torch might work. Will likely look cool, too.

I need to try beating the egg, then letting it rest to get rid of all the bubbles/froth. Stay tuned...

• thetrim
    If anyone can master this, @caliking can...
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    caliking said:
    Botch said:

But that does give me an idea. Flaming the top with a torch might work. Will likely look cool, too.

I need to try beating the egg, then letting it rest to get rid of all the bubbles/froth. Stay tuned...
    Hmm, so it gets the same pattern on the bottom?  
    If you DO torch the top next time, sprinkle it with "nutritional yeast", or whatever it was called; I'm looking for ideas and you have some extra.  :D

• You guys don’t add any milk? Just me?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    thetrim said:
    If anyone can master this, @caliking can...
    Only because I LOVE eggs in just about any form

• caliking
    edited October 2020
    Botch said:
    caliking said:
    Botch said:

Hmm, so it gets the same pattern on the bottom?  
    If you DO torch the top next time, sprinkle it with "nutritional yeast", or whatever it was called; I'm looking for ideas and you have some extra.  :D
    Consider it done !

And yep, the cool swirly pattern shows up on the bottom, too. 

I might add a tsp of water (which is what usually do) next time. 

@alaskanassasin I’ve tried adding milk in the past, but didn’t care for it. That was a long while ago, so may be worth revisiting. 

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Interesting......following!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• You guys don’t add any milk? Just me?
    Butter here. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    You guys don’t add any milk? Just me?
    I usually just add water (mebbe 1/2 tsp) I don't usually have milk on hand.  Today I tried a Cantonese omelette recipe which included Shao Shing wine, cornstarch, soy and a couple drops of Sesame oil; I added WAY too much wine and it overpowered the eggs (along with my morning) but I'll try again tomorrow.  
    Onward.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    water makes eggs fluff, milk seems to make them heavy. havent used even water in an omelette in years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Botch said:
    I usually just add water (mebbe 1/2 tsp) I don't usually have milk on hand.  Today I tried a Cantonese omelette recipe which included Shao Shing wine, cornstarch, soy and a couple drops of Sesame oil; I added WAY too much wine and it overpowered the eggs (along with my morning) but I'll try again tomorrow.  
    Onward.  
    That’s sounds interesting, is it served as a morning meal in China?
  • caliking
    Botch said:
    Onward.  
    I think I know what you’re talking about. May have even seen the same video. 

A small mom and pop joint near us makes the shrimp and egg version, served over rice. The egg is delicate, flavorful, and delicious. Wish I could figure out how to make it. 

I haven’t been impressed with the addition of cornstarch. Have tried this a few times recently, but am not a fan of the texture. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Was flipping through IG a minute ago and Misen ad came up for a tornado egg.  Basically the same thing but they do it by only rotating the pan and holding the chopsticks stationary. Looks easier- 
    Greensboro, NC