Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Genius and Thermapen recommendations

Options
Hi everyone, 2 questions
1) I'm debating purchasing the Egg Genius, ya'll have any experience with it? and is it worth it? and easy to use?
2) what thermometers/thermapen do ya'll recommend?

(ok those were more than two questions, so I apologize)

Thanks everyone. 

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I am a ThermoWorks Thermapen fan.  Fast and accurate.  But, I do not have the Mk4, just the classic.  I guess my brain can interpret numbers at 90° and I don't see the need to rotate or light the display for $20 extra.  The only thing I don't like is the tight space for the probe to "click" into when you fold it in half.  There is no reason for it and it makes a nasty place for bacteria to grow that is very tough to clean.  A simple tab to protect the tip would have been easier to keep clean.  

I don't use a controller, so I can't comment on those.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I love the Egg Genius, and use it for all my low and slow cooks.  I highly recommend it. 
    I purchased the battery pack also.  

I have used a Thermapen Classic since before they were classic and also have an MK4.  I’d spend the extra for the MK4.  I also love the Thermoworks Dot probe, and use it for reverse searing and faster medium heat cooks.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options
    My Flame Boss 200 is still going strong, so that's my "old reliable" method of keeping stability on long cooks. I find its meat temperature probe to be very accurate as well, so that's kind of a bonus.

As for Thermapens, I have probably half a dozen of them and love 'em.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Thermapen MK 4 is great and so is the Javelin Pro Duo,  Javelin Pro has a magnet if that matters ....Love my FB500 but on my egg , I let it run natural 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Just got a box of 100 Javelin Pro Dou's for the store.....how many you want?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I've had my Thermapen classic for 10+ years now and it's still going strong. It doesn't owe me a dime. 

I've had the Javelin Pro Duo for a couple years now and it has become my go to thermometer. I really like how it's back lit and the built in magnet has really come in handy for when storing it. Plus at half the price of the Thermapen MK4 it's a winner. Even my dad who is knit picky about everything just commented the other day how much he likes his Pro Duo when I stopped over. That's saying something....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I've been using a Thermapop for the past few years and I like it and it suits my needs. If I had to buy another, I'd likely go with a Javelin Pro like others have stated above.
    LBGE
    AL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a Thermapen MK 4 
    It has served me well.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Flameboss 500 compliments of @stlcharcoal.

He has great pricing, products, and supports the forum.  Unless I absolutely need it right here, right now, he's getting a call or email for anything I need.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gilabert
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I will try the Javelin Pro Duo. @stlcharcoal how can I get a hold of you to purchase one?

The Flame Boss 500 seems pretty good, I just might pull the trigger on that too. 

Thanks everyone. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Gilabert said:
    Thanks everyone, I think I will try the Javelin Pro Duo. @stlcharcoal how can I get a hold of you to purchase one?

The Flame Boss 500 seems pretty good, I just might pull the trigger on that too. 

Thanks everyone. 
    Both in the same box and can ship on Monday......just email me or send a message.  

I have red, blue, and charcoal Javelins.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Thermapen MK 4 is great and so is the Javelin Pro Duo,  Javelin Pro has a magnet if that matters ....Love my FB500 but on my egg , I let it run natural 
    My wife bought me the MK4 for Father’s Day a couple of years ago and also got me the silicone cover for it that has a magnet. Definitely nice to have and if I were buying an instant read thermometer for myself right now I’d probably go with the Javelin Pro since it already comes with the magnet. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    The plus for the magnet ...

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have no interest in ThermoWorks, but they have the Mk4 on their own 48 hour "prime"-time sale today for 25% off. Makes it $74.25.    
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    thermopop does everything i need it to do, have several thermopens as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    For anyone who is interested they are $5.95 for now.

LBGE
    AL
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Never mind... they gone
    LBGE
    AL